“Great hotel for a conference/meeting or vacation”

Grand Hyatt San Antonio
Ranked #18 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersSilver level
Germantown, MD
“Great hotel for a conference/meeting or vacation”
Reviewed November 17, 2011

I stayed for six days in August for a conference held inside the hotel. I enjoyed my stay there.

- Front desk and concierge service was friendly and helpful such as allowing my friend to pay for her part of the bill early and checking us into our flight (concierage)

- Room was comfortable. I had a twin bed room with a comfortable chair and footstool, refrigerator, long dresser / desk space (enough for two women to lay all the stuff out and conference material).

- Bathroom was a nice size with plenty of room between the toilet and shower to change. There was a portable (not hooked to the wall) magnifying mirror which made it great for putting on the small table by the chair in the bedroom, so I could use it as a vanity table while my roommate used the bathroom in the morning.

- For the meeting rooms/banquet hall, the staff did an excellent job clearing dirty plates (you actually had to be careful they didn't sweep away your plate before you were ready) and keeping things stocked. The coffee and tea stations had normal milk and soy milk which I liked. There were snacks and cookies in afternoon. The buffet breakfast was good with the eggs, sausage/bacon, fruit, muffins/pastries. We had a dinner banquet one night and it was good.

- The sink had a 3 or 4 inch wide lip around it, but it was not big enough for many cosmetics for one or two people. You couldn't leave your stuff out without it possibly falling.

- The lobby and bar was modern and open and airy with high ceilings but not the most comfortable. We had drinks in the lounge one night at a high table with stools. The cocktail waitress was very friendly and helpful with drink and food recommendations. As a former cocktail waitress, I know. 8-) There were not a lot of choices for bar food though.

- The store in the lobby near the lounge had a coffee bar and refrigerated open case where you could buy sushi, sandwiches, salads. I had sushi one night and it was fine.

- Gym was one of the largest and nicest that I have ever seen with plenty of new looking treadmills and machines and TVs. It was so nice, it made me want to work out but I didn't have time. The roof top pool looked nice.

- If you take the escalator downstairs, walk past the restaurant, you can exit onto the Riverwalk. On the left, is the Henry Gonzalez convention center and Lila Cockrill Theater (very close, maybe 2 minutes). On the right, is the way to the main part of the Riverwalk with restaurants. It is a 10 - 20 minute walk. I did walk around 11:00 pm and it is bit dark between the hotel and main part where the restaurants are. You can enter the River Center mall from the Riverwalk or from the street level.

- On the Riverwalk, the Casa Rio Mexican was cheap and good (considering what you paid), although avoid the sangria since it came in a tiny wine glass and was about $8 which was close to the price of the dinner. On the opposite side of the Riverwalk, if you turned left from the direction you came from the hotel and go towards Little Rhein Steak House and La Villata Park, there is ANOTHER restaurant before Litte Rhein that has fixed priced specials for dinner. Salad, main course, dessert for about $20. The chicken marsala was huge and had a much better sauce than anything I have eaten since then. I had a pasta dish another night. I thought the food was delicious and a very good value for the money (if you are not on an expense account).

- If you walk towards the Convention Center via the River walk, you can climb some stairs and walk through Hemisfair Park (didn't like it much, was deserted witth a few guys hanging aaround) and then to the Tower of Americas (750 ft tower). You can buy a ticket to go up to the Observation desk for a nice view of San Antonio. There are black and white maps with building labels to help you figure out what you are looking at. The ticket also entitles you to a 4-D, motion ride (the one that jerks you back and forth plus smells and physical effects). If you have back or neck problems, avoid the ride.

I had dinner at the Chart Restaurant in the Tower of Americas which was really delicious; I had the tuna. For desert, I asked for vanilla ice cream, fresh berries (strawberries and blueberries were in season), and hot fudge and it was wonderful. It wasn't on the menu but my waiter was extremely gracious.

- The hotel is about two blocks away from The Alamo. Take S. Alamo St to where it becomes Alamo Plaza and interesect E. Crokett St.

The other Hyatt is on the Riverwalk and closer to the Alamo (almost across the street) and closer to the mall and restaurants. They had water and bridge in the lobby.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank GodLovesYou
SATGH, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Antonio, responded to this review, November 22, 2011
Thank you for this detailed review! We enjoyed reading about your August trip to San Antonio and know others will find this review helpful. We look forward to seeing you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (500)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed November 12, 2011

As I'm sitting in my bed here, at this hotel I'm very disappointed. We had made arrangements months ago since we're takin part in the marathon. We had booked a standard double room. Well, while checking in they told us we had the "hospitality suite". Thinking we got an upgrade the room turned out to have a nice kitchenette, dining table, and living room, only thing is - NO BED! (was not given discount). Worst experience was they said we had to be checked out by 11! Are you kidding me?! They apparently have some event? It would have been nice to get some notice in advance! Last year it was different. This year, however, will be the last at the Hyatt. Other people as well are calling it the last too as everyone is angry.

• Stayed November 2011
5 Thank Allenrod
SATGH, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Antonio, responded to this review, November 14, 2011
We appreciate your feedback and thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. Please accept our sincere apology for any inconveniences you may have had during your stay. We apologize that you did not recieve the guestroom you had previously booked and can assure you that this is not our standard. We have shared your concerns with our team members and hope you will give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves in the future. We would love the opportunity to provide you with quality service and prove why we are a preferred Riverwalk hotel destination.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed November 11, 2011

The room I had was high, nice view. Adequate size, good bed. The internet fee is $10. Parking is $33 per day. The Club Lounge is small, and not busy. This may be due to the $50 fee per day which is very high for what you get. Soft drinks are free, but alcohol is not, although price for wine is only $3. However for the fee the food is just not worth it. The location is next to the convention center, but otherwise it is well away from the main part of the Riverwalk. The room was expensive compared to similar properties. If you have a meeting at the convention center this hotel is fine, but I wouldn't stay here for any other reason.

Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed November 11, 2011

I had a very good stay when I was on a business trip. I booked from their websites and good 2 free nights out of 7 nights. The location is great. The room is beautiful. I didn't like the breakfast that much and that is why I am giving the hotel 4 stars. Otherwise, it would be straight 5.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank Khaled_D
We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again in the future.
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed November 10, 2011

This is a very large hotel, that is nice enough, but not up to the luxury standard of most Hyatts. Also, it is located on a spur of the Riverwalk, and to get to many of the restaurants, you have a good 15 minute walk; unlike many of the other Riverwalk hotels that are right in the thick of things. A plus is the 24 hour sundry shop in the Lobby.

Fair Oaks, California
Reviewed November 6, 2011

This is a very big hotel in San Antonio snuggled up against the convention center. Although our room was comfortable, clean and quiet, I have a few quibbles about the comfort of this hotel. The lobby is vast, with lots of hard surfaces and modern furniture that does not invite lingering. One area is right near the street entrance, with no divider to block the hot or cold air that comes in as people go in and out. At the check in desk, you find computer screens for "convenient" self check in. There was an employee there to help, but there were more computer screens than employees.The last thing I want to do after a long fight is deal with a computer screen. In fairness, you can opt to check in the regular way with a clerk. The slight amount of human interaction at a standard check in at a hotel can often make a big difference to a weary traveler.

Don't expect to find much in the way of gift shops, spas, shoe shines or other amenities at this hotel This is a stripped down hotel. The personnel are very friendly and nice, but the pampered feeling is just not there. Want WIFI? Ya gotta pay. Want breakfast? You gotta pay. And wait???? I was asked to wait five minutes in the restaurant even though there were empty tables. (Breakfast buffet is very good and the price reasonable for what you get. Coffee is good.)

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 4, 2011

I am staying here currently. The hotel is new (seeming) and the staff is nice, however, I would like to point out a couple of problems with this hotel.

First, I am surprised they do not offer free wired or wireless internet. This is a CONFERENCE hotel, meaning there are many businesses (and military personnel) who need access to the internet during presentations and for office work in the hotel rooms. I was shocked they are charging $10 a day for this. I hope they phase these charges out soon or I am sure they will lose customers to the Marriott across the street which does not charge for internet.

Also, due to some complication with my reservation, the hotel checked me out after the first night of my four night stay. Then they checked someone else into my room. I didn't realize i had checked out until my room key suddenly stopped working. Although the staff was apologetic they did not offer me anything free, such as a free night's stay or at least complimentary internet for the trouble. Some of my items could have been stolen.

On the plus side, the staff is nice and courteous and the hotel has a nice gym and pool.