“Stayed here for Cowboys training camp”

Grand Hyatt San Antonio
Ranked #21 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersSilver level
Fort Worth, Texas
“Stayed here for Cowboys training camp”
Reviewed August 12, 2011

We stayed at the Grand Hyatt on Aug. 5-6th 2011 while in San Antonio to visit Dallas Cowboys training camp at the Alamodome. The room was nicely decorated although a little small but clean. The hotel restaurant has a wonderful breakfast buffet and the bar is large with couches and very comfortable.
The hotel parking is a little high ($25) but you can park at the parking lot across the street for a cheaper price.
The hotel is large but the elevators were very quick so you didn't have to wait long to get on the elevator. We were on the 18th floor and had no problem getting up and down very quickly.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (488)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 6, 2011

Stayed here during July 4th weekend and we really enjoyed ourselves at this lovely hotel. The main floor lobby is open and airy and feels very modern and futuristic. As you enter from the valet parking area and walk towards the back, there is a store which sells sandwiches, snaks, pop, toiletries and lattes! This store also sold some very great pizza and if you need something late night the pizza was excellent for a hotel. As you walk further towards the back the large bar area is inviting and the bar is an excellent place to have a few drinks late into the evening with some good friends. To the left of the bar is the stairway leading to the riverwalk. This hotel is at the convention center and at night the immediate riverwalk area is very quiet, however, it is not a long walk from the rest of the riverwalk including the mall.

The rooms were smallish, but well appointed and comfortable. I was pleased with the bedding and the decor. The hallways were very long but wide and again very modern. My favorite feature of this hotel was the kiosk check-in, I hate having to speak to some agent at a desk and it takes so much time just to get a room key. With this Kiosk I swiped my card and my keys and room number came out and that was it. I was off to my room. Very easy and painless process. This might be my new go to hotel on the Riverwalk!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KnicksFanHou
SATGH, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Antonio, responded to this review, August 10, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. We're happy to hear you enjoyed your July 4th weekend with us. We agree, our pizzas are delicious! We will make sure to pass on your review to our Sous Chef who created the recipe. We hope to see you again on your next visit to the Alamo City.
College Station, Texas
Reviewed August 1, 2011

Stayed with my wife for one night on business. It was not a very good experience. We needed to stand in line four times, each for about five minutes to get a room. The first time, we were assigned a room. OOPS, two small beds instead of one we wanted. Returning to the line, we were told there were no available rooms with king bet. After some probing, we learned there were no clean rooms, but one would soon be available. After 45 minutes, back to the line. Our room was still not ready. After asking, learned there was another clean rom with king bed available. Took this room. Some time later, while getting ready for dinner OOPS a stranger came in. He too had been given our room. Now our room keys would not work. Back in line to get new keys, and a half-hearted apology for the intruder.

The room was large, clean, and well furnished. It was noisy. The in-room bar was not quiet, the air conditioner turned on and off with a loud click, and the fan was noisy. The room was very bright at night when we opened the curtains--not the hotel's fault, San Antonio has bright street lights that shine up to the 22nd floor. At 3:00AM we woke up to find our heads on the bare mattress. The tightly stretched mattress pad had come undone, pulling itself and the bottom sheet down toward the center of the bed. We had to get up and re-make the bed.

The Dallas Cowboys were staying in the hotel so there were crowds at the door. The hotel is BIG, and the staff is overworked. It is just another big convention hotel. San Antonio riverwalk area is bright, noisy, and crowded.

We were thinking of staying more at Hyatt instead of Marriott to earn upgrades faster; now we are rethinking the change. Wish we could write a more positive review, but after staying at three other comparable hotels in the past month, Hyatt was by far our worst experience.

2 Thank DrBob-cs
SATGH, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Antonio, responded to this review, August 2, 2011
Thank you for your review on you recent stay with us. We appreciate and welcome all feedback, both positive and constructive. Please accept our apology for the delays in checking you into a king room. I can assure you this is not our standard. Although our hotel is located adjacent to the convention center, we do not like to think of ourselves as “just another big convention hotel.” We strive to provide each guest with a pleasantly unique and memorable experience. We hope to see you again in the future and would enjoy the opportunity to provide you with the service both you and we expect.
Maryland suburbs of DC
Reviewed July 29, 2011

I liked almost everything about this modern, immaculate hotel. The room was spacious and clean. Service was fantastic, the staff was friendly and responsive. When I arrived, there was no ironing board- I think one was delivered within 5 minutes of my call!

Affordable breakfast could be found in their little coffee shop off the lobby area, a terrific breakfast buffet was available if you had the time and interest.

A beautiful roof-top pool is available for those so inclined. The fitness center was large and very well equipped.

Best of all, it's a pleasant walk along the River Walk to the restaurant district.

Only downside: they could have installed better windows- the sound proofing not so great. I was on the 11th floor and could hear street traffic fairly clearly.

1 Thank Susan G
SATGH, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Antonio, responded to this review, August 3, 2011
We are happy to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us! Thank you for the wonderful comments. We hope to see you again on your next Alamo City vacation.
Reviewed July 29, 2011

They overbooked me and booted me out--they sent me to a sister hotel that they said was same star rating-- can't be possible this one was trashy. They were also supposed to be give us enough points to stay another time equal to what I paid for that would be emailed to me after check out. I paid for three days but checked out early due to my experience and when I checked the points I had enough for 2 and a half days. What can I do with a half a day. Do not stay here-- they are incompetent and can't be trusted

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank Cmjacks
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent San Antonio trip. On occasion, when our hotel is fully committed, we transfer guests to the Hyatt Regency San Antonio. This is not our standard and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may have faced due to these circumstances. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves in the future and truly hope you enjoyed your time in San Antonio.
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 28, 2011

A very good conference/business hotel. The staff is attentive, sincere and polite. A good location for a quieter spot on Riverwalk. Only a few blocks to the Alamo. Very clean, very quiet and comfortable beds. A tremendous travel value for business or pleasure or family vacations. San Antonio is America's hidden gem! Who knew San Antonio was so much fun and it's residents were so polite? Bravo to the City of San Antonio and its residents. The Hyatt is in the perfect location to enjoy all of the amenities that the city has to offer. GO TO SAN ANTONIO!

Room Tip: Request a higher floor and a room upgrade.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Travelm25
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt Riverwalk for a conference. Overall, it was a good experience. Beautiful hotel, and the location could not have been better. We had a little over an hour for lunch during the conference, and I was able to walk along the Riverwalk to the mall food court for a quick lunch. The conference rooms were easily accessible, comfortable, and set up well for our event.

My only complaint is that my sheets kept coming off of the bed and exposing the mattress. Gross! The mattress pad was stretched out and kept popping up. I requested that the issue be fixed at the front desk. They said it would be fixed, but it wasn't. I had to ask a second time before the issue was resolved. I struggled with the sheets for two nights while needing to wake up early for the conference.

Pros: Location, friendly staff, beautiful hotel
Cons: Front desk did not take care of a housekeeping issue