“Best burger ever!!”
Review of Bracken Store - CLOSED

Bracken Store
Reviewed April 3, 2012

If you love thick juicy burgers this is your place. Quite a wait for your order to be cooked when you have two little burger monsters with you but sooo worth the wait. Cheeseburger was perfectly cooked and seasoned, absolutely worth visiting. The eclectic country gas station vibe just adds to the charm.

Reviewed March 3, 2012

I have a sidebar note to insert before I even get started: I didn't know until after we had already eaten that the Bracken Store Café was chosen by Texas Monthly as having one of the top 50 best burgers in the state of Texas.

Enough said.

But I'll go on...

Let me start off by saying that I'm really tired of all of the chain restaurants and burger joints...all those places where you get pretty much just a reinvented version of the same thing. A place where everything is produced in an ultra-commercialized fashion, all thrown into the homogenous pot that is the chain restaurant.

The Bracken Store Café is truly the real thing. It's a blast from the past, nostalgic overload, and burgers like they used to be.

Well, really, everything they serve is the way it used to be.

One of the reviewers said that this restaurant is "out there." It's not really that far out there. I guess it depends on where you're coming from.

But regardless, it's worth the trip.

If you're visiting San Antonio, or Texas in general, then this place is a must do. The building has been there for years, it's in a little old town just right outside of San Antonio, and it's old time Texas country.

You'll remember having gone there, and it'll be a good memory.

As soon as you walk in the door, you feel as if you're on a movie set where the script takes place in some little Texas town 40 or 50 years ago.

It takes a moment or two to absorb the fact that you're in a truly hometown joint – and I mean that in a good way.

Once it sets in, you get this feeling of satisfaction knowing that you're in a place where the locals hang out.

Thing is, it's not really the locals anymore. It's people from who-knows-where that have discovered the Bracken Store Café.

Magically, like ourselves, once you walk through the door, you become "the locals."

You feel at home, and you feel like the staff, the owner, and everyone else has known you all your life.

It's not just the decor, it's not just the ambience, it's not just the griddle - laden with giant hamburger patties sizzling away - it's not just the patrons.

It's the WHOLE PACKAGE.

It's real and it's good...really good.

You order at the register. You can look at their printed menu, or, as I preferred, you can look at the chalk board.

The "Bracken Burger" is $5.35. For another $.30 you get cheese – cheddar or Swiss (this is my one and only gripe, both are processed, but, for $.30 who's complaining.)

For a buck you can add bacon.

Then there's hamburger steak, tuna salad, a ham and cheese, chicken salad, hot dogs, Frito pie, tacos, fried fish, grilled chicken sandwich, and other short order items.

I ordered the Bracken Cheeseburger with bacon. I hit that up with a small order of fries.

I was with Dad, who ordered the hamburger steak with grilled onions and brown gravy ($6.35.) We both ordered unsweet tea. Total came to $18 and some change.

Drinks are self-serve, so we got our tea and utensils and sat down at one of the tables.

Then I saw a waitress pass by delivering an order that included what looked like some fabulous onion rings.

Well, I had no choice but to get up, go to the register, and fork over an additional $2.95 for an order.

Good move.

Shortly, our food arrived.

Dad's hamburger steak was big and you could definitely tell it wasn't some patty that had been taken out of the freezer and thrown on the grill.

My hamburger had the same sized patty, a generous helping of bacon, cheese, lettuce, onion, tomato, mayo, all on a toasted bun (I asked them to cut the pickles and mustard.) Per my request, they cut it in half and I'm glad they did.

It's a big burger.

The fries are good, but they're fries.

The onion rings are battered, not breaded. A delicate crispy crunchy exterior, with a soft and moist interior and then you get to the onion. All good.

Dad absolutely loved his hamburger steak. I took a little taste of the brown gravy, and it didn't have that chemically taste that so many brown gravies do. Sides on his plate were fries and a salad, all on the same plate. His salad was a mixture of Romain, red cabbage, carrots, grated cheddar, and a ramekin of Ranch.

I'm uploading pictures of my burger, the menu boards, and various shots from around the restaurant.

Please check the place out.

It's really good.

While there, be sure and look around. There's a lot of history, and also some very nice touches of humor.

Look for the complaint button and also the wellhead for the Bracken Springs.

Above all, enjoy and have fun.

Thanks for reading my review.

2  Thank oreoero
Reviewed January 6, 2012

so says my grandson who in a connoosseur of such things. The best part is I agree with him! The food is delicious and plentiful (this is a two hand burger), the staff friendly and unlike someplaces they appreciate you being there. A must go-to when the grandkids are here, and even when they aren't...and lucky for me they will ve visiting in a week or so.

Reviewed November 2, 2011

Bring cash, no checks, credit or debit cards. Only Friday for dinner, lunch everyday. Everything on the menu is good.

Reviewed July 11, 2011

The restaurant is in an old general store full of antique signs. My daughter loved the old Wurlitzer record playing juke box! Huge 1/2 pound burgers! Try the Frito burger. My four year old daughter had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Great homemade onion rings. Make sure to bring cash as they don't except anything else!