“Bring back the Tuna Wonton Crisp!!”
Review of Kona Grill

Kona Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Kona Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #239 of 4,727 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: American, Asian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Northwest Side
Cross street: I-10 West / 1604
Description: Kona Grill was built on Exceptional Experiences and meals that create memories. Our global menu features contemporary American favorites, award-winning sushi, and specialty cocktails — all made from scratch using only the freshest ingredients. While the places that inspire our cuisine may be far away, a welcoming place that offers inspiring food, ultimate hospitality, and diverse choices is right around the corner.
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Love going to Kona Grill in La Cantera. It is a quiet, relaxing place to have lunch while shopping or meeting an appointment. Mostly have cruised the sushi offerings without any complaints (try the Las Vegas Roll - yum). Wine list is a little sparse, but the bar with inside/outside seating is very nice. Friendly and attentive staff. I will continue to visit Kona Grill in La Cantera. I REALLY MISS THE TUNA WONTON CRISP on their appetizer menu.

Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Good food at afforable price. We were there just last week and as always everything was great!! Very flavory food, for those who like spicy food, this is the place. Service excelent!!!!

Reviewed February 27, 2013

We were seated fairly quickly at the beginning of the dinner rush. However, the place soon filled up and service went downhill from there. I had the Kona filet and my wife had the Ahi. My steak was somewhat overcooked (asked for medium rare and got medium-well.) Didn't want to wait for another to be cooked since it got busy, I knew it would take forever to get the new steak. Anyway, although overcooked, it was still tender. The potatoes were good, but apparently not all fresh (maybe mixed with instant?) My wife's Ahi was good, but not great. All in all, I would say average for the food and less than average for the service, even in consideration that we were eating at the busiest time of the day. Prices were higher than they need to be.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

This was our first visit to Kona Grill and we were really disappointed. We live only about 15 minutes away, but I don’t think we will be back.

First, we asked about happy hour specials. Happy Hour is limited to the bar, which appeared to be pretty small. We were there for supper and were seated in the dining room, so we were not able to take advantage of any specials. We ordered some drinks. A few minutes later, our server came by and apologized for the delay in bringing our drinks. The bar service was backed up due to happy hour, he said.

So, wait. You are telling me that even though I am paying MORE and cannot enjoy the happy hour specials, I have to wait longer to be served? This didn’t go over so well.

Well, our drinks arrived in a little while, and my husband ordered an appetizer of calamari ($10.25), which he thought was very good. We ordered our dinner. When I ordered, I said to our waiter, “we are going to share the Oriental Salad ($9.75) as an appetizer, and then I want the Macadamia Nut Chicken.” Then my husband also ordered an entrée. I thought this made it pretty clear that we wanted the salad first, and then each would be having an entrée. I think it is quite common to have a salad as a first course, before the entrée is served. This shouldn’t have been too hard to accommodate.

You can see where this is going. The salad and entrees all arrived at once. I like to eat my entrée while it is hot, so I pushed the salad aside. I commented to the servers when they brought our food (not the same person who took our order) about receiving everything at once. They literally had nothing to say. We took the salad home but salad does not keep very well, so it was a wilted waste.

My macadamia nut chicken ($19.25) was also a disappointment. Not bad at all, but rather plain and just nothing special. It was served with mashed potatoes and “seasonal vegetables” which turned out to be corn. The plate looked dull, with tan chicken, white potatoes, and corn. It could have used some color. The sauces that were supposed to come with the chicken were just little dollops and didn’t do much to enhance the dish. My husband and daughter were happier with their selections: the Sushi Sampler ($11.75) and Las Vegas Roll ($11.25) were both good.

My daughter had a Strawberry Ginger Mojito which was yummy but expensive at $9.50. Our total bill was $90 for 3 people, more after adding tip. Sorry, but when I am paying over 100 bucks for a meal, I don’t think it is unreasonable to expect drinks to be served in a timely manner and courses to be served in order rather than all piled on the table at once. I will say that all ingredients seemed very fresh and the sushi was presented attractively.

I’m posting a picture of the menu. The Kona Grill website does not include prices. I picked up this menu on the way out the door. It’s important to note that all the prices we paid were higher than shown on the menu.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

I love Kona Grill in every city I have lived in! San Antonio is no exception. I waited about 30 minutes for a happy hour table this last time I went. If you want happy hour prices you have to sit in the happy hour section which is first come, first served. They serve half priced sushi, appetizers and certain drinks from 3-7 every day and then a reverse one later on in the evening. I did notice that the happy hour section is smaller here in San Antonio than it is in other comparably sized cities. They need to expand that area. However, the food is good. I had the crab crunch sushi rolls, a Lady's margarita and a cosmo. I ordered to-go a few weeks ago and got the oriental salad, which is my favorite. I don't recommend ordering it to-go though because they don't put the dressing on and mix it up like it is supposed to be. Order it with chicken and it is delicious. For some reason they don't have a chicken option on the oriental salad at this location, but you can ask for it and get it. It is the best!