“Good, but not great”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Kona Grill

Kona Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Kona Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #181 of 4,606 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: American, Sushi, Japanese, Bar, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Northwest Side
Cross street: I-10 West / 1604
San Antonio, Texas
“Good, but not great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

We were seated fairly quickly at the beginning of the dinner rush. However, the place soon filled up and service went downhill from there. I had the Kona filet and my wife had the Ahi. My steak was somewhat overcooked (asked for medium rare and got medium-well.) Didn't want to wait for another to be cooked since it got busy, I knew it would take forever to get the new steak. Anyway, although overcooked, it was still tender. The potatoes were good, but apparently not all fresh (maybe mixed with instant?) My wife's Ahi was good, but not great. All in all, I would say average for the food and less than average for the service, even in consideration that we were eating at the busiest time of the day. Prices were higher than they need to be.

• Visited January 2013

• Hebrew first
San Antonio, TX
“Disappointing service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

This was our first visit to Kona Grill and we were really disappointed. We live only about 15 minutes away, but I don’t think we will be back.

First, we asked about happy hour specials. Happy Hour is limited to the bar, which appeared to be pretty small. We were there for supper and were seated in the dining room, so we were not able to take advantage of any specials. We ordered some drinks. A few minutes later, our server came by and apologized for the delay in bringing our drinks. The bar service was backed up due to happy hour, he said.

So, wait. You are telling me that even though I am paying MORE and cannot enjoy the happy hour specials, I have to wait longer to be served? This didn’t go over so well.

Well, our drinks arrived in a little while, and my husband ordered an appetizer of calamari ($10.25), which he thought was very good. We ordered our dinner. When I ordered, I said to our waiter, “we are going to share the Oriental Salad ($9.75) as an appetizer, and then I want the Macadamia Nut Chicken.” Then my husband also ordered an entrée. I thought this made it pretty clear that we wanted the salad first, and then each would be having an entrée. I think it is quite common to have a salad as a first course, before the entrée is served. This shouldn’t have been too hard to accommodate.

You can see where this is going. The salad and entrees all arrived at once. I like to eat my entrée while it is hot, so I pushed the salad aside. I commented to the servers when they brought our food (not the same person who took our order) about receiving everything at once. They literally had nothing to say. We took the salad home but salad does not keep very well, so it was a wilted waste.

My macadamia nut chicken ($19.25) was also a disappointment. Not bad at all, but rather plain and just nothing special. It was served with mashed potatoes and “seasonal vegetables” which turned out to be corn. The plate looked dull, with tan chicken, white potatoes, and corn. It could have used some color. The sauces that were supposed to come with the chicken were just little dollops and didn’t do much to enhance the dish. My husband and daughter were happier with their selections: the Sushi Sampler ($11.75) and Las Vegas Roll ($11.25) were both good.

My daughter had a Strawberry Ginger Mojito which was yummy but expensive at $9.50. Our total bill was $90 for 3 people, more after adding tip. Sorry, but when I am paying over 100 bucks for a meal, I don’t think it is unreasonable to expect drinks to be served in a timely manner and courses to be served in order rather than all piled on the table at once. I will say that all ingredients seemed very fresh and the sushi was presented attractively.

I’m posting a picture of the menu. The Kona Grill website does not include prices. I picked up this menu on the way out the door. It’s important to note that all the prices we paid were higher than shown on the menu.

• Visited February 2013
Overland Park, Kansas
“Happy Hour!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

I love Kona Grill in every city I have lived in! San Antonio is no exception. I waited about 30 minutes for a happy hour table this last time I went. If you want happy hour prices you have to sit in the happy hour section which is first come, first served. They serve half priced sushi, appetizers and certain drinks from 3-7 every day and then a reverse one later on in the evening. I did notice that the happy hour section is smaller here in San Antonio than it is in other comparably sized cities. They need to expand that area. However, the food is good. I had the crab crunch sushi rolls, a Lady's margarita and a cosmo. I ordered to-go a few weeks ago and got the oriental salad, which is my favorite. I don't recommend ordering it to-go though because they don't put the dressing on and mix it up like it is supposed to be. Order it with chicken and it is delicious. For some reason they don't have a chicken option on the oriental salad at this location, but you can ask for it and get it. It is the best!

• Visited January 2013
Miami, Florida
“Great Asian Fusion”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

Loved this place! Had to grab a few drinks before actually going into La Cantera to hustle and bustle for Christmas gifts and Kona Grill definitely had everything I wanted and needed. Great happy hour specials and sushi was good and didnt burn a hole in your pocket. Kieren Light and Sake! You can never go wrong with that combination. Will definitely visit again when I go back to San Antonio! Cheers!

• Visited December 2012
San Antonio, Texas
“King Kamehameha's Burger!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

Decided to stop in for lunch yesterday. Had the chicken pot stickers for an appetizer. Don't know whether they got stuck in the pot, but they tended to stick in the back of my throat - - extra sauce please!!

We selected the Kona burger for an entree. When the server delivered the thing I almost laughed but was a little more amazed than humored. The bun sat on the burger like Charlie Chaplin's hat would on Hoss Cartwright! The thing was huge! I looked like Adam Richmond at one of his Man vs. Food challenges trying to unhinge my jaw to get a bite of this thing.

Great steak flavor from a 12 oz. patty that is made from a blend of choice meats - and they actually served it medium as requested!. Bring out the cardio paddles! This boy is in going into V-fib! It was also served with some very good, just a bit thicker than shoe string, french fries. But who cares?! It's that good . . . .

I told the waiter that they ought to rename this side of beef on a biscuit the "Kona OMG Burger" to which he agreed. I never get a doggie box from a burger joint because I can usually finish one easily - huh! - I think I had about 1/3 of this king kong left! My wife brought home half. Might have been some contribution from the 5 small pot stickers, but it was nominal.

Definitely rates in the top five burgers I have had here in town and I have had a butcher shop full. But the "OMG" don't come cheap. With applewood smoked bacon it's $12.50. Actually a small price to pay for such culinary bovine beatitude.

Get back to cooked food folks (I'll spot you ceviche and maybe some poke) and put that gushi sushi back on a hook where it belongs. Have an OMG and if you tell me that sucks, I'll know never to read any of your reviews again.
Kona gets 4 easy Shaka's from this haole for this King Kamehameha burger!

• Visited November 2012