“Great stay in San Antonio”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Antonio
Noble Inns - The Jackson House
Ranked #10 of 41 San Antonio B&B and Inns
Houston, Texas
“Great stay in San Antonio”
Reviewed March 9, 2012

Ever since we discovered Noble Inns, we always stay at the Jackson House or Oge House when we visit San Antonio. Although the Oge House is more opulent, I prefer the Jackson House with its charming, cozy rooms, each with a gas-burning fireplace. My favorite room, number 5, has a comfy window seat nook that's great for curling up with a book after a day of touring. Both places provide homemade cookies and beverages in the afternoon.

The location is great, right on the edge of the historic King William district. If you like historic homes, you can take a self-guided walking tour that begins about a block from the inn or you can tour one of the homes that is open to the public. The Jackson House is also within a few blocks of the River Walk and a short walk from several good neighborhood restaurants. (My favorites are Azuca for dinner and Madhatter for lunch.) The innkeeper provides a list and map of these restaurants and access to their menus and those of many other San Antonio restaurants.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 414Kathy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Meriden, Connecticut
Reviewed March 9, 2012

My husband and I recently spent a long weekend in San Antonio and stayed at The Jackson House. We have not been to San Antonio prior to this visit and wanted a quiet place in a central location so we could easily explore the area but have the luxury of a quaint, relaxing place to return at the end of the day. The Jackson House provided just that! We had such a lovely and comfortable stay and enjoyed a quiet cup of coffee on the deck in the early morning while a WONDERFUL breakfast was being prepared. The house was quiet, the owner and staff friendly and it took no time for us to agree --- we'll be back! Highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CarlaDee_11
McKinney, Texas
Reviewed November 22, 2011

I noticed some of the great reviews of the Jackson House were several years ago and there was a different innkeeper. They have plaques for outstanding B&B that stop in 2008 or 2009. There are no current ones. They are not Chamber members nor are they accredited by the BBB. My husband and I were looking to get away from the stress and thought San Antonio would be just the ticket. We have stayed at awesome bed and breakfasts before. This was not one of them. When we finally were able to talk to the owners as we were leaving, nothing was done to rectify our stay, like a discount for not getting what was advertised and getting poor service. There were excuses and a "I hope you will give us another chance." Why?
Reasons for disappointment:
False advertising on site: incorrect directions, no afternoon fruit or evening apertifs, no information that we would have to be inconvenienced and travel to another location for breakfast. Yes, it is a block and a half away, but when you are paying upwards of $200/night, you want the ease of crawling out of bed and down the hall, not get dressed and walk or drive to another location. If this would have been communicated before we made reservations, I would expect to pay less or I could have made the decision to stay somewhere else. The corrected directions, I was told, were sent out in a separate email. Yes, they were sent in our reservation confirmation email and didn't mention the difference in directions from their site. They never changed their site and in their last email correspondence, sent us the link to their site, with the wrong directions still up. The piece of work host told us that the city just changed the name of the street in the middle of the night.
When we did not receive evening apertifs, as advertised, we were told that the stale lemonade that set out all day, was our apertifs. It wasn't until my husband told the host that lemonade was not apertifs that she set some stale sherry and port out in a dusty bottle. Who knows how old it was since the owner told us they stopped putting it out due to lack of interest. How about correcting your website. Another example of false advertising.
After walking a block and a half for breakfast to the Oge, we were greeted by gloomy faces. Both the host who cooked us breakfast, and her help, acted like they wished they had a different job. We had been excellent guests, not complained or asked for anything at this point. I wondered if it was just us, but they treated others the same way, just plopping down breakfast without so much as a good morning or smile. When I asked for some butter to go with my French toast, the host told me that she cooked it in butter. Hello! I don't care if you cooked it in butter. If a guest asks for something that is commonly served, bring it out without any comments. I'm not paying for that. The next morning made up for it when we decided we'd had enough of this place and had a wonderful breakfast at the Pioneer Flour Mill. Guess what? I ordered pancakes and they brought me butter without asking.
The owners' phone # in the room did not work and when we asked the host for it, she refused to give it out. The #'s and info looked ancient. The owner said it was correct but we didn't even get a voicemail. The owner seemed to not really acknowledge our complaints and had excuses for everything.

Also, this is the first b&b we've stayed at without access to the kitchen. We had a mini fridge and microwave in the dining room, but no utensils. I guess they don't trust their guests. And honestly, we've stayed at the best of the best and not been treated this way.
The room was very hot. Since the room didn't have a thermostat, our only relief was turning on the fan. We still woke up in a puddle of sweat. The host is not very present and you really don't want to run into her anyway. The innkeeper/host is a relative of the owners, so I guess that's why things won't change at the Noble Inns.
Oh, one more thing. The bed creaked like you would not believe. Old mattress. I do not normally write reviews, but this really takes the cake for worst experience ever. We are not demanding, we are not rich, and we really wanted a vacation away from the stress. This did not do it for us.

Room Tip: I do not have any tips. The room we stayed in was HOT and the mattress was uncomfortable and creake...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tracy B
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 25, 2011

The Noble Inns has 3 properties: The Oge House, The Jackson House (object of our review) and The Carriage House. We reviewed amenities of each online and opted for rooms that included a full breakfast and were the mid-price point and thus the Jackson House. The property was restored in 1995 and is period appropriate and tidy. In my opinion, while the inn is clean and well kept I would say it could use a refresher as it seems a bit tired and lacks any 'oomph!' Nice, just not anything exceptional. Furthermore, the Jackson House property is run by an 'absentee inn-keeper' and unfortunately gave me the feel of a second class guest. There are notes everywhere, on light switches, doors, thermostats and at the self serve coffee pot, clearly indicating that you are on your own. Upon arrival the inn keeper was cordial and polite. She provided us with a local map and took the time to make recommendations for restaurants and note landmarks on the map. She then asked if we'd walk to the Oge House for breakfast as we were the only ones staying at the Jackson House and she wasn't going to serve breakfast there. Once at the Oge House we immediately noticed that it had all the B&B/Inn accouterments one would expect from a Select Registry Property but that the Jackson House lacked: indoor plants & flowers, daily newspapers, actual restaurant menus, a water cooler, large selection of visitor information, customized Noble Inn Mugs for sale and use and on-site inn keeper. The Jackson House felt spartan and cold as compared to the Oge House. The Oge House property sits right on the San Antonio River Walk and thus warrants higher room rates. When we selected our rooms we consciously went with the moderate option and expected an off-river property with less lavish decor and features, but we didn't anticipate that the level of service, attention and 'basic' Select Registry Inn amenities were reserved only for those guests staying at the Oge House. Ironically, while we were 'required' to walk a couple blocks to the Oge House for breakfast, we weren't privy to the security code to the Big House!

On our second day at the inn, as we walked around the King William neighborhood, we stumbled upon the San Antonio visitor’s center (the Jackson House actually faces the back of the building) and were surprised that our innkeepers never made mention of our prime access to this resource!

Breakfast is served formally with beautiful china at individual tables. Good, conventional breakfast entrees, although nothing too creative; pancakes & sausage one day, poppy-seed French toast and bacon another day.

My husband and I are well traveled (state-side and abroad), mid-forty professionals, and regular B&B & Inn guests. We match our accommodations with the purpose of our travel; we may easily splurge for the best view and high end pamper options when booking a true vacation, yet are happily content with moderate, clean digs when we're squeezing in quick getaway - as was the case with our San Antonio trip. We've found that it's the people on the property that have the greatest impact on our inn experience. We truly look forward to and enjoy the social atmosphere we typically find at a B&B or Inn.

As a whole we'd say that the Noble Inns have a prim and stale aura. Yes, these are period homes that deserve appreciation and recognition and are they are indeed true historic and architectural gems beautifully restored but that need to be aired out a tad! Inn keepers were pleasant enough but not terribly sociable.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank packmyshoes
Rockport, TX
Reviewed March 6, 2011

We booked this trip thinking our dates were secure but a medical emergency happened about 4 hours after booking, and they were accomodating to let us reschedule a different date. Upon arriving we were asked if we would like to walk a block down the street in the morning (during the freeze, morning temperature was 25 degrees) to have breakfast with another group at another one of their homes. We politely told the manager that we would rather just have our breakfast in the house we were staying in. She made it OBVIOUS to all of us that really put her out because now she would have to have someone cook for only us????? I thought that was what a bed and breakfast was, am I missing something here? We were suppose to accomodate her for $225.00 a night? She was rude and short with us from that point on, thankfully we didn't have to see her again. The young lady that prepared our breakfast was EXACTLY what we've been accustomed to in staying in bed and breakfast, and we tipped her accordingly and she visited with us telling all the "ins and outs of the area." We were so dissappointed as we thought we'd found a "gem" and would be a minimum of annual customers, but now we'll look elsewhere. I did write an email to her, and expressed my dissapoint and had she been professional and apologized, we could assume she just had a bad day and surely this isn't the "norm," but I received no reply so I write a review so you can beware!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sewcyd
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 23, 2011

I was a little disappointed with the poor quality of services offered here. I'm OK with an old B&B giving you the feeling of living in a past era. But when they put crappy TVs in an otherwise charming room, and the TV reception is horrible, and they install DVD players, but if you want a DVD you have to walk down the street to borrow one, and there's Wi-Fi service, but it's unusably slow, and there's a kitchen, but no water at the kitchen sink, and if you don't show up for breakfast they call you and express their annoyance, well, this place is dissapointing.

The pool/spa was nice though. Thank God.

Next time I'll stick with the modern hotels along the Riverwalk.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dfp21
San Antonio
Reviewed February 15, 2011

My husband and I enjoy staying in B&B's and have done so in many cities throughout the states. The Jackson house just doesn't warrant the asking price of $239.00 a nite for a spa suite. The room was clean and comfortable, but the decor in much in need of freshening. The spa tub was spacious and fit two nicely. In addition to the room spa it would have been nice to enjoy the beautiful enclosed hot tub located in the back courtyard of the property, but the Inn Keeper never mentioned it. We found it ourselves while exploring a bit the next morning. As we only stayed one night, once discovered, we were not able to enjoy it. The Inn Keeper is not the warm friendly type, (my son would call her "snooty") and does not appear to understand the importance of providing the "little extra's people expect when staying at a B&B. (Isn't that why most of us prefer B&B's to hotels?) Almost all the Inns we have stayed in provide a dish of cookies, complimentary soda's or chocolates on the bed in the evening. You will get none of that here. As there is no Inn keeper on site, you can not even get a plastic fork or napkin should you need one! (Believe me we looked) Breakfast is served at a sister location just down the street and the neighborhood provides for a charming and historic walk. The breakfast itself is decent, but as others have mentioned nothing to brag about. The portions are small and definately not anything you would consider "gourmet". I wish I could recommend this location, but the asking price is just way more than the experience was worth.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple