“over priced---very out dated” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Inn on the Riverwalk

Inn on the Riverwalk
Ranked #1 of 41 San Antonio B&B and Inns
Indianapolis, Indiana
“over priced---very out dated”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

This place was extremely excpensive--very outdated and the staff at first were not helpful at all! They even called me to see if I would be there by the time they got off. When we arrived I had to continually ask questions to get any info. they did not show us where towels, blankets, etc were kept if we ran out. They did nto leave the right number of towels in our room, I had to rtepeatedly call and then finally they tolsd us we woudl have to walk across the street and get more ourselves. They also only serve breakfats for 1 hour which is completely ridicuous! The cook however was wonderful! She was very sweet, very helpful , and the food was good. (the 1 time that we got to eat breakfast there) The Inn is in a run down part of town, and should not be near as costly as it is. The paint is peeling off of the outside and it is just run down. They had not even bothered to water the flowers! It was obvious that the pictures on the internet had not been updated in several years! The rooms are all outdated, and the furnishings are even more outdated. I would NEVER stay there again for sure! For over $150.00 a night (and that was after a discount) I think I could have found a much more accommdating place to stay.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Lisa B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

My husband and I had actually looked at this property as an actual location for our wedding and I am so glad that we looked elsewhere! We have stayed at several other bed and breakfasts, all of which were in older homes but this is the first one where it truly looked at felt like it. We stayed in the pent house which features a view of the riverwalk from the balcony and a jacuzzi tub. The jacuzzi tub is very old and dated and could at the very least stand to be retiled and refinished. The room could desperatley needed to be repainted and the wood floors were scuffed to no end. I would also say that the bathroom is way too small for the tub and took away from counter space so I had no place to get ready. This is also the first place I've stayed in years that does not have a flat screen tv. They also only had a boom box with a cd player. As other reviews have stated the bed is very worn and sunken in. I slept awful and we actually left first thing in the morning so that I could actually get some rest.

On the positive side as stated before it does have an awesome location and is very quiet. The staff that we met the next morning (because no one was there when we arrived, the hostess stated over the phone she would only be there until 5pm) were pleasant enough. The yard was decorated very nice and seemed welcoming.

I can not speak on breakfast because as I stated we hightailed it out of there first thing in the morning. However it did not smell especially appetizing. And the fact that when we arrived we saw a (what I'm guessing to be) wedding cake that looked to be about 5 days old sitting in the dining room I lost interest in wanting eat there.

But as I always say you get what you pay for... it was $79 a night and it definitley showed.

Room Tip: the stairs are very narrow (think attic stairs) I would recommed a room on the lower level
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank msnikkibme
Williamsburg, Va
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

This place is located off the beaten path of the Riverwalk, so it's quiet. I enjoyed being able to go for morning jogs without having to dodge obstacles. The house is old...very old. I guess you may say that's quaint, but I'm talking about roof awnings sagging, towel bars hanging on, etc. I'm stiing in a $70 Econolodge room right now that put's the Inn to shame (twice that price). The breakfast was good if you like eggs, meat and potatoes. Limited cereal, and no milk today for the cereal. Banana's were probably fresh last week. The trash was emptied, towels replaced, but bed wasn't made daily. I travel a lot, and for the price I paid, I kinda expected that. Oh well...like I said...nice location on the Riverwalk with great entertainment/dining.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Lititz, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

San Antonio is such a unique city, definitely one of my top favorite places so far in the US. We were in Austin for a few nights and ended our trip for one night at this bed & breakfast. We normally don't book B&Bs but I usually try and book hotels that offer free breakfast/parking/internet. There aren't many hotels with good ratings that were located right on the riverwalk that offered all three so I decided to go with the Inn and was glad I did! Easy to get to and parking was easy and safe. It takes about 10 minutes to get to the main restaurant/bar/shopping area on the riverwalk but the walk is so peaceful along the river we enjoyed it! We stayed during the week and chose the top room in the main house which was the "penthouse" suite. I thought it was very clean and comfortable! I loved the extra space and the private balcony. Breakfast was delicious and everyone that I spoke with that worked at the Inn was helpful and very friendly. The only problem I really had was the fact that they refused to give me a refund after they dropped their rates for the night we were staying there. I usually check rates just before we leave and most hotels I ask will give me the refund. I ended up paying about $50.00 extra for the night but still enjoyed our stay there.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2012

This is a great location and could be a great property with good management, a little money invested and a deep cleaning. Everything is dirty. Not filthy , just not clean. In our room (Spa 16 - Spa room = small, DIRTY jacuzzi tub) the bed is terriblle - sags about 4 inches, no remote, broken coffeemaker, loud ac that is too big so it goes on and off every 2 or 3 minutes, awful air freshener smell - what are you trying to hide, someones sock in the dresser, only 2 bed pillows. Got woken up at 6:30 am Sunday as the began unloading the dishwasher and preparing breakfast downstairs. At least the staff was happy while making breakfast as laughed and talked loudly the whole time. Eggs and potatoes were cold in chafing dishes, they then plated and microwaved. The pancakes were just cold in a bowl on the counter. Of course during breakfast and checkout noone asked how our stay was? I have a feeling that they know better!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Elstead, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2012

I stayed at the Inn for three nights over the Easter weekend with my husband, two young children and my parents. We had the two traditional rooms downstairs. The Inn is a classic turn of the 20th century American house, with wood cladding, lots of pretty plants and a very handy private parking lot at the front. It sits right on the River walk minutes from the heart and soul of shops, restaurants and attractions. However, it is peacefully tucked away from the main roads and the hustle and bustle of city life. You can hear the birds singing in the morning! The location is simply perfect. A pity it is squished in between some giant skyscrapers. We stayed in the traditional rooms downstairs. The rooms are ok, nicely furnished. They have all the basics and in the twin room there was also a small fridge. The rooms looked tidy enough albeit on the small side (particularly the ensuite bathrooms!). What struck me was the dust. At first glance everything looked spotless. On second looks there was lots of dust everywhere. The bed headboard was dusty, the tv shelf and fridge cabinet were dusty, the lampshades were dusty, the bathroom shelves were (very) dusty, and the doors were dusty and could have done with being wiped as there were marks of water and other things (I don’t want to think about what they might be?). I didn’t look under the bed or in the corners at floor level but I guess more dust could have been there. If dust isn’t a problem for you, then at least the essentials of cleanliness were there: the washbasin, faucets and toilet were clean. The bedding was clean – although the twin beds had mismatched bedding … The windows are old and dirty. The glass in particular was filthy. A pity as we would have had a brilliantly clear view of the beautiful Tower Life building from bed. The air con is noisy and archaic. It does cool the room but I wouldn’t want to sleep with it on… and we didn’t sleep too well whenever the upstairs aircon was on. A drop leaked from it and it landed on top of our own air con unit making an annoying “drip drop” sound. We had breakfast on two of the three days (we left early one day to drive to the Enchanted Rock park). There is coffee and tea (which I didn’t try), orange juice and water. There were two choices of cereal – cheerios and bran flakes, and some jars with cookies (small). There was also a fruit salad – although it only contained melon, pineapple and grapes. It was fresh enough. One morning we were served bacon (cooked too early on so a bit cold?), scrambled eggs (ok) and fried potatoes cubes (tasty but a tad cold). On the second morning there were fresh pancakes and they were delicious!!!! All in all breakfast was good. We did not see the owners and the receptionist we met at check in was nice and polite. All in all we had a great time. The Inn on the Riverwalk is a very good base from which to visit San Antonio and surrounding areas. Breakfast was good. However, at over $150 a night, I was disappointed to find quite so much dust everywhere. I strongly advise they get the housekeeping sorted. Dust tends to build up over time! I might go and check it out again in the future…

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Iside26
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

Well, I stayed at my second San Antonio Bed & Breakfast, and happily, Inn on the Riverwalk was a step up in overall performance than my first effort. The IotR B&B has a great location easy on/off the Interstate, and a nice walk to the active and decorated part of the Riverwalk. The outside of IotR are shady trees, rolling hills, the southern less-traveled portion of the Riverwalk, and plenty of pretty flowers. The B&B itself is an historic house and adjoining cottage (where we stayed) which while average/adequate, was a bit run down in external appearance. The positives, beyond the great location and lovely outdoors, included a nice cool room with a refrigerator, TV, and WiFi in the cottage bedroom. The king bed was adequate and the bathroom did receive a second morning cleaning/new towels attention, which was nice. I suggest you give this establishment a try if you like B&B's and head over to the Riverwalk part of SA. Having said that, expectations should be set somewhat lower for the breakfast (only 1 hour 8:30-9:30 in the morning) and the amenities (not many; I was directed to a convenience store 2 blocks away for bottled water and/or a soda).
But.......I say.........give it a go, and enjoy San Antonio!!

Room Tip: I'd say try and stay in the "main house", as I felt a little left out staying in the c...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple