“Quirky and Fun - a real change form hotel chains”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Antonio
Noble Inns - Aaron Pancoast Carriage House
Ranked #18 of 41 San Antonio B&B and Inns
Horsham, United Kingdom
“Quirky and Fun - a real change form hotel chains”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Although not the cheapest accomodation, the carriage house has a charm that puts it in a class apart.
The rooms are small but really cosy. the bathrooms are old-style with claw-foot baths although the shower arrangement was a bit claustrophobic.
The shared living accomodation could beneft from a bit of an update and the tv there was a bit of an antique.
All that said, the location, the friendliness and helpfullness of the staff and the whole feel of the place couldn't be better.
We were all adults and had breakfast in the Oge House dining room and the opportunity to interact with the other guests was a real treat.
Paking is easy either at the carriage house or across the street at the main house. Several good restaurants are within easy walking distance (we trierd Rosarios mexican and Foccacia italian and found the staffing in both great as was the food.)
Easy access to the riverwalk and within walking distance of the Alamo whilst in a superbly historic part of the city makes this a goood choice for a short break.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ron P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
HOUSTON
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Horrible experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I paid a ridiculous fee for a fri afternoon check in and mon monring check out which cost $510 - To me that A LOT for a bed and breakfast, these fees are comparable to the new hyatt downtown - which you are better off staying in.
That rate got a me a room above the garage!
According to wikipedia ; B&Bs and guest houses may be operated either as a secondary source of income or a primary occupation. Usually the owners themselves prepare the breakfast and clean the room etc., but some bed and breakfasts hire staff for cleaning or cooking. Although some bed and breakfast owners hire professional staff, a property which hires professional management is usually no longer considered a bed and breakfast, but enters the category of inn or hotel.
I was appauled that I booked this room for 3 people off the noble INN's website and was put in one small room above a garage, opposite another room, which shared a small living area. I was told I would have access to private area and private pool - but i lived above "the Noble family's" garage! when i aired my disatisfaction on my arrival I was schooled on the definition of a bed and breakfast and what a "carriage house" was _ a room above a garage according to the "inn keeper" - the noble's daughter....
I was told to not block the noble family's green jeep , and not block the covered garage driveway , where Mr. noble parked his BMW. I was also told about watching out for the family's cat - who may come up the massive star case above the garage and may want to come in?????
I was also told that I woul dhave to go through the side gate to the Noble's house to use the family's pool - I had to call them to tell them when I wanted to use the pool . so Mr. Noble could shut off the pool self cleaning device and pull it out, while My over 65 yr old parents swam, then call the office when I was doen so they can come and put the slef cleaning machine back in???

The breakfast was promised to be delivered to the living area of the suite we stayed in - this was a lie! We didnt stay in any SUITE, it was a TINY room for 3 people, 1 double bed and a twin pull out couch, we had to walk to another building for food in a small dining room, where you had to eat whatever they made that morning.
Even though I called and verified that my father was a vegetairan - they catered to us in NO way - they gave him a bowl of oatmeal every morning! I am not kidding you, when I brought it up after the 2nd day, the "inn keeper" said what do you expect he doesnt eat eggs???
I was floored - I responded and said I dont even want to go into what a vegtarian can eat or cant, but that was your job to do that research - there wasnt even an option of toast, yogurt, fruit, jam, cheese, butter????? nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just oatmeal! I told the Inn keeper I was checking out early because of all of the above issues, and I was told I would receive no refund for the days I did not stay - b/c the rate of $510 for 3 days was a special!!
RUN AWAY!!!!!!!!
This place is very far from downtown, you are not able to walk in the heat - you need to take the bus to get into town, it is not that convenient as they advertise, it is in no way in the popular part of the riverwalk at all.
Please dont waste your money. My parents and I had a horrible experience, the staff cared in no way and I felt it didnt help that we weren't white either. I always felt "the inn keeper" kept talking down to me like I was an idiot not knowing what a bed and breakfast was - even though wikipedia defines an inn, like Noble INN - to be a commercialised establishment - the aaron pancoast carriage house, is one of 2 rooms, above the noble family's garage, who you see every time you come outside while you stay clear of their cat and dont block their green jeep or bmw.
Stay anywhere but here!! Super 8 is a step up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank SMB33
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We had a fantastic stay at the Pancoast Carriage House Suite. My husband and I stayed there the 2 nights following our wedding, and despite arriving well after midnight, we had no problems getting into the suite (even in the rain). During our stay we had a wonderful complimentary breakfast that was home-cooked and they even provided my husband with a gluten-free meal (which was also delicious).

We look forward to booking our 1 year anniversary with Noble Inns!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband and I just got back home from a wonderful stay at the Noble Inns. We stayed in the Pancoast Carriage House. I really liked that we had a full kitchen and swimming pool that was available for us to use through out our stay. Although we didn't use the kitchen, it was nice to know that we were able to stay in and cook our own food for lunch and dinner if we like. The location is perfect! We were surprised that there are so many great restaurants in the King Williams district! We were able to take leisurely walks for lunch and dinner. The river walk is just on the opposite side of the back yard from the Oge House, which was across the street from the Carriage House. They have a super sweet cat and dog that will come and say hello if they are out and about. Be careful for the cat & your food! She is diabetic and needs insulin shots, so don't feed her, although she will pretend to be starving! The only thing that I wasn't too pleased with was the bed. It was a bit too firm for me. I'm used to a very soft bed at home and I am a light sleeper.

Breakfast was fantastic! A very fancy 2 course breakfast that will leave you stuffed! (But don't worry about getting dressed up, casual attire will do just fine). They take a lot of care with your dietary needs and restrictions. The lady at the front desk (I forgot her name) is super sweet and gives great information about the amenities, and local "happenings" or sites to see when in San Antonio.

We are not sure when we will be visiting San Antonio again, however when we do, we will certainly look up the Noble Inns again!

BTW: They are apart of the Select Registry which is a distinguished Inns of North America listings. I wasn't aware of this listing, but it's very helpful if you are a traveler and love to stay in B&B's. You can go to www.selectregistry.com to see all the listings of other B&B's in the US that are top notch!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amy P
Seattle
Reviewed March 29, 2013

The Carriage House has 3 bedrooms - don't rent any on the top floor as they take work on your part. The room was nice in that it had a fireplace, central a/c set at 72, small TV, antique furniture, and a ceiling fan - but being in a built out attic also meant you had to bend a lot, stoop, and when showering perform aerobics to not slip and fall. Overall it was a good value, we got a full breakfast across at the Oge house, the location next to the River Walk was fabulous, the staff was o.k. - definitely not 4 star - we left $5 for housekeeping the first & second night and also asked for a bar of soap and more shampoo conditioner - didn't get either and had to go to a local store to pick up some soap - not very nice....
Recommendations:
If you have any condition that makes it difficult for you to bend or balance do not get a room upstairs, or one with a claw foot tub unless you are taking a bath, as it is awkward to shower with the roof line cutting down into the tub.
Great if you have a family and want to rent the two top rooms, you would then have a nice area to yourself - with a small kitchen and stove top - note they do not let children eat at the other house.
Riverwalk is great - it;s just a short stroll to the center of activity, use it to get back and forth
Wander the neighborhood - beautiful Historical Homes
Ask for extra soap & shampoo on check in (if staying more than 2 nights) as this is not refreshed.
Special Diet - we didn't request any but now would ask for Heart Healthy as the food is good, but heavy on fat & sugar (i.e. grapefruit baked with brown sugar, baked egg dishes with lots of cheese) They did serve fresh fruit with yogurt which was great but we would of liked just a slice of toast with plain scramble or more fresh fruit -

The other houses would definitely give you more of a B & B feel, the Carriage house is just an extra area built around a garage - serves it's purpose but really very simple and plain.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms upstairs at the Carriage house if stairs are difficult for you, if you need...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pandltravels
Orchard Park, New York
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I'm not sure who these past positive reviews were written by but do not, I repeat do not, believe them. The website pictures and the actual B&B in no way represent what this place actually is like. This place is both highly expensive and awful at so many levels. It is rated as 4-diamond ... I have no idea how that happened but as many of the reviews mention, this is a 1 or 2-star diamond at best. If you want to pay top dollar for what is basically college dorm room quality, then by all means this is the place for you. Where do we start? How about with the mold in these ancient showers? It is both disgusting and a health hazard. The B&B manager will minimize it and tell you it's not a problem but it is. Next up are the appliances ... everything is highly used, scratched, old, damaged, and overall dirty. The stovetop has scratches and holes in it. The microwave is a sewer pit. There are loose tiles in the kitchen floor and the refrigerator is about 40 years old. Next on the hit parade are the bed covers ... if you like stains on them you got 'em. All over, all different colors, disgusting and totally unidentifiable. You don’t even want to guess what they are. Next on the hit parade is the hot tub. The good news is they have one. The bad is it doesn't heat. Minor nit I guess if you like a cold hot tub. Next, the decor is atrocious and hasn't been updated in about 40+ years. Last is the manager herself. She was in no way service oriented, friendly, accommodating or helpful.

The disappointment is that this could be a nice place if the owner kept the place up ... which she has not. It needs a new floor, new appliances, updated kitchen, overhaul on the showers, new furnishings and a paint job. Also fix the hot tub. And hire a manager that has a sense of customer service.

Without being too negative, I would point out 2 positives … the B&B is conveniently located to the riverwalk (not on it as the website suggests, but a convenient walk which we didn’t mind). Second is the food. I know some of the reviewers based it but I think it has improved. Absolutely not 4-diamond level but acceptable breakfasts were served.

In summary, we have stayed at 4-diamond facilities before and in comparison the Nobel Inns Carriage House isn’t even the same universe. It’s a below budget facility that should be ashamed of themselves for gouging customers for 4-diamond prices and delivering a budget product of which I’ve not seen before.

Room Tip: Stay at another B&B
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank jay g
Houston
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We just spent one night here but will definitely come back. The Carriage House has a common kitchen and living area with three bedrooms off of it. We had room 2 which was very well decorated and comfortable.

Breakfast was in the big house and was really good.

Can't wait to come back and stay longer.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple