“The Environment Either Makes It Or Breaks It For You” 3 of 5 bubbles

Henry's Puffy Tacos
Ranked #278 of 4,589 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Northwest Side
Dallas, Texas
“The Environment Either Makes It Or Breaks It For You”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

I always like to try to the local specialties wherever I go, so when I heard about puffy tacos, I had to try them. It was suggested that I come here, since this is where they were supposedly invented.

For those who (like me) hadn’t heard of them before: A puffy taco is like a cross between a soft taco and a hard-shell taco. The uncooked tortilla is deep-fried so that it puffs up. This makes it crispy without being hard.

The restaurant is one of those places that has a bar in the center and big-screen TVs all over the place. This makes the atmosphere either good or bad, depending on what you are looking for. With the football games that were being shown while we were there, it made the place feel like a sports pub. Unlike an actual bar though, there were lots of families with small children. As was the case when a previous reviewer was there, many of these small children were screaming. Music was loud. There were a couple of tables of very loud guys that had obviously been drinking. A lot. One of the guys kept getting up and yelling as he walked around the place. Staff acted as though this is a normal occurrence. It made the older people with us feel uncomfortable. It was definitely not a family environment, even though there were families there.

I got a puffy taco plate with two tacos, one beef fajita taco and one chicken fajita taco. Others in the group got the picadillo ones. Tacos come with lettuce and tomatoes. You have to pay extra if you want any other toppings. There was too much lettuce for my taste, but it was easy enough to remove what I didn’t want. The tacos were greasy, but that’s to be expected in something that just came of a deep fryer. The meat in the tacos had a good flavor, and I’d recommend the beef fajita tacos over the chicken ones. Everyone that got the picadillo tacos said they were good. Our chips were flavorless and tasted stale, though the salsa had a good flavor. The rice was awful. The flavor was good, but it was much too mushy, as though it had been cooked with too much liquid. Service was adequate.

Even though we liked our tacos, we’re not likely to go back because of the environment. If I ever find myself wanting a puffy taco again, I’d most likely try them somewhere else.

• Visited October 2012

Alpharetta, Georgia
“off day, or have they lost it?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

I was here a couple of years ago when traveling thru, really loved it and recommeded this place to several friends who came to San Antonio. I was looking forward to a great meal but was really disapointed. Sat at the bar for lunch. The tacos were not great at all. Ordered three diffrent types, all three were, well not worth finishing. Too bad, used to be great.

Visited June 2012
Louisville, Kentucky
“Loved it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2012

We are moving to San Antonio and tried Puffy Tacos for the first time. What an experience! We tried four different kinds, with different meats, and they were all excellent. I also really like the hearty chips, but salsa was just ok. Margaritas were alright. We are looking forward to going back!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Lincoln, Nebraska
“Great Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

Great place to eat and great atmosphere. Went later in the evening and the service was great. Staff was very friendly

• Visited October 2011
San Antonio, Texas
“SCREAMING KIDS!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2011

I live close to Henry's Puffy Taco's, and finally convinced my boyfriend to go there with me. I've been there for lunch in the past, and remember having a pleasant visit. Last night, it was full of screaming kids. The wait staff and Manager did not say anything to the handful of kids screaming at the top of their lungs for over thirty minutes. We told the waitress that it was disrupting, and she apologised. We almost cancelled our order, but decided to stick it out, and not go there again.

Also, the food is so/so. I felt gross after eating the greasy food, There's much better Mexican food at ChaCha's, Bee's, and El Palomar.

Pro: The Puffy Taco mascot is cute, and I love watching him at the Missions games.

• Visited September 2011