“Great little bistro”

La Frite Belgian Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
La Frite Belgian Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #94 of 4,764 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Belgian, French
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Had a great light meal here while on business in San Antonio. Looks like locals mostly eat here, it was a short walk from the riverwalk and provided a great meal that was not the typical tourist fare. Nice wine selection, french fries were superb, salads very interesting. Atmosphere casual, service great.

2  Thank susan_0002

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Enjoyed the mussels and fries, and a couple of my favorite Belgian beers! Made me feel right at home. Don't forget to have a waffle for dessert.

2  Thank Reid C
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Enjoyed a very good lunch at this quaint bistro. Greeted by the owner at the door and she ensured that we could get a quick lunch that accommodated our tight schedule. The mussels were amazing - and highly recommended! Wish we could have gone back for the dessert. Next time!

1  Thank Mike N
Reviewed November 13, 2012

So having endured the epicurean "delights" of the Riverwalk restaurant scene and sampled frankly the worst "Mexican" meal I've ever eaten at **** (name withheld to protect the ashamed), I ventured a little further afield to this gem of a restaurant a few blocks south of downtown. Confession - back in the day I'd spent a lot of time in Belgium, so I was intrigued as to how a self-proclaimed bistro would translate to Texas. I need not have worried. Having identified that my hostess was Flemish (and so not practicing my French so as to not pour gasoline on water), I found myself sat at the bar with a glass of fine kwak ale in my hand. Did I mention that this was a Tuesday evening and the place was absolutely packed? Perusing the menu it had to be the big steaming bowl of fresh Nova Scotia moules marinières et frites. Boy, I wasn't disappointed. The mussels were steamed to perfection and soaked in a classic garlic, shallot and white wine sauce. Add a cornet of fresh frites and pausing only to request some mayonnaise - these were after all frites and not fries - I can safely say that I was transported back across the Atlantic. Add good company, a pleasant hostess, excellent food and a jar or two of fine Belgian ale and my palate was satisfied. If you're in San Antonio and don't fancy mediocre Tex-Mex, I cannot recommend this restaurant high enough.

3  Thank BritinSoCal
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I will add my advice to those of other reviewers...don't be put off by the unassuming storefront of La Frite. Inside is a classic Gallic bistro. Although their specialty is fresh mussels, we opted for a lighter lunch. My wife and I both ordered a crabmeat and mushroom filled crepe that was just right for the warm day's touring of the old King William district. The perfectly turned crepes are fully stuffed with crabmeat and they don't skimp on it either. A smooth, velvety mushroom cream sauce set it up just right. A small mixed green salad accompanies the crepe and was just enough for lunch. The lunch crowd is a mixed group of casually dressed locals and tourists along with a healthy sprinkling of business-suited professionals. Wife ordered a "floating cloud" dessert consisting of a custard like quenelle floating in a rich, almost milkshake-like ice cream sauce. Delicious! They also have a respectable by-the-glass wine list.
On our next visit to San Antonio we will definitely dive into a huge plate of mussels.

2  Thank JohnHenry425