“Classic Ambiance, A Bygone Era of Style & Sophistication”

Colonial Room Restaurant
Ranked #112 of 4,645 Restaurants in San Antonio
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Buffet, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Built as an addition to the original hotel and later remodeled by San Antonio architect Atlee B. Ayres in 1912, the Colonial Room Restaurant reflects the prevailing neoclassical style of its time. Decades of elaborate balls and parties have been hosted in this room.Among the celebrities who have dined here are Presidents Grant and McKinley, Robert E. Lee, and French actress Sarah Bernhardt. The Colonial Room Restaurant's famous mango ice cream was served at both of President Clinton’s inaugurations. Open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, the Colonial Room Restaurant features a fabulous noontime brunch and traditional entrees such as prime rib au jus and lamb shank with linguini. Don't miss the popular Sunday brunch buffet, which tastes even better at a table in the garden courtyard.
Manahawkin, New Jersey
“Classic Ambiance, A Bygone Era of Style & Sophistication”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

During my exploration of San Antonio's many historic sites and hotels, I discovered the Menger Hotel, home to the Colonial Room Restaurant. Rather than again choosing a modern bistro, I opted for the classic and stylish Colonial Room. Arriving around 7:30pm on a Friday evening, I was promptly seated. There were only a handful of tables, plus one large group deep in the dining room. The hostess definitely didn't take me back in time to a more elegant era, nor did my server, except for the fact he was graciously attired in a tux ensemble. The dining room was dimly lit, appropriate for the time period. It appeared there was 1 server, and he was barely keeping up. Polite as he was, I saw him to order and to receive my food. My glass of wine served after my meal arrived. By the end of my meal (a delicious Shrimp Scampi), another server arrived to assist. I think I may have caught this spot on an off-night for staff, but at least the waiter was very pleasant, (on my few interactions). I would return, but might inquire if they would be amply staffed! Otherwise, the restaurant truly lived up to my expectations of a classic, "vintage hotel" dining room, and overall, I was pleased with my choice.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank historytraveler27

Southwick, Massachusetts
“Mango Ice Cream Experience”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I had been planning our trip to San Antonio for months. We're from the Northeast and had never been to Texas. I had read about the Menger Hotel's famous mango ice cream. If it's good enough for both of Clinton's inaugurations, it's good enough for us. We marveled at the beautiful lobby, took in the nostalgia of the bar where Teddy Roosevelt recruited the Rough Riders, and then ventured to the Colonial Room. First class all the way. We were served the most delicious mango ice cream I have ever tasted in one of the most elegant settings I have ever been in. A wonderful experience. Bon apetit!

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank palmtreesRgood
Texas
“Awesome Sunday Brunch”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

The Historic Menger Hotel's Colonial Room Restaurant provides a wonderful brunch that has a variety of quality, fresh, well prepared food. They best homemade bread pudding with a luscious rum sauce, homemade strawberry ice cream, along with champagne or mimosas, are all part of this reasonably priced brunch.

• Visited July 2012
The Woodlands, Texas
“Elegant dining at reasonable prices”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

The Colonial Room staff spoiled us! If you are traveling with children, don't bother with McDonald's! The children's breakfasts are an amazing value at just $2.95 for a full plate of waffles! The grilled salmon filet is absolutely delicious. Don't miss the mango ice cream!

Visited July 2012
Cedar Creek, Texas
“Great Sunday Brunch”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

You do not want to miss this very old dining hall. It is probaly the oldest dining venue in SanAntonio! When you are sitting in this beautiful room you can just feel the richness of history all around you! I was almost waiting for Teddy Roosevelt to suddenly appear at the table. The food is good and there is a variety. But the atmosphere is great!

Visited June 2012