“A treat for your taste buds”
Review of Umai MI - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Umai MI
San Antonio, Texas
“A treat for your taste buds”
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Umai Mi has been open for just about 4 weeks now at the location of Jason Dady's old Bin 555. We went with open minds, but still mourning the loss of the Bin. Chef Dady's new culinary adventure made us jump for joy. There remains the tapas feel with small bites, bowls and large plates, wine that complements the food and spices used and and a new take on mixed drinks.

We perused the menu and decided on items to try, then ordered a bottle of a German Loimer Kamptal Gruner Veltliner. Our first dish was Sriracha-Kewpie Deviled Eggs which were Soft Poached Eggs with Japanese Mayo, Scallions and Sriracha. Very tasty and easy to eat. The wine went very well with the spicy sriracha.
Next came Shrimp rolls with Nobu Sauce. The Nobu sauce was a Spicy Mustard-White Miso Dipping Sauce and was delicious with the giant wrapped shrimp.
Our 3rd item was Crispy Fried Chicken Wings in Fresh Red Curry Paste and Lime Crema for dipping. The lime crema was excellent and complemented the red curry on the chicken. The wings are a little messy to eat, but the GM was most helpful in giving us warm hand wipes to use after eating the wings. All of these dishes went well with the wine.
I had seen Chef Dady preparing his green papaya salad on one of the local morning shows and it look delicious so I had to try it. It is made with Green Papaya, Cherry Tomato, Thai Herbs, Palm Sugar, Thai Bird Chile and a sprinkling of peanuts. It is light and refreshing, almost pickled. I liked it more than my dining partner and Chef Dady said it was his favorite. Give it a try. I recommend sharing the bowl with your dinner mates as the serving was quite large.
After trying the small plates we shifted gears and wine to a Spicy Cumin Lamb Deconstructed Rack which was Crispy Fried Lamb Loin, Grilled Rack,served on Iceburg lettuce with mint paired with a bottle of the Franciscan Cabernet Sauvignon from Napa. Nice and fruity red that complimented the cumin and lamb. It was fun to watch the sous chef prep the lamb and I might have learned something from watching!
I highly recommend everyone try Chef Jason Dady's newest culinary venture.

• Visited February 2014