“Suited All Our Needs” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
Texas
“Suited All Our Needs”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2009

Stayed here for 3 nights. We loved the breakfast and happy hour - three alcoholic drinks per person. Rooms were simple and met our standards. Nothing fancy - the hotel gets the job done. Employees were pleasant and very helpful. I loved the business center amenities - free internet, printing, wireless internet and a few office supplies for your use.

1 Thank msbianca2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (578)
The Woodlands, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2009

I booked a 2 Standard Room Suite about a month in advance for $269 a night. As it got closer to the date, the rates actually went down, so I ended up booking the 2-person Jacuzzi, 2 Room, 2 Queen Bed Terrace Suite with two 40" LCD TV's for $208 a night without using AAA booked directly on their website, which was a great deal, but lower cost rooms were available. It was my wife's 40th birthday and Valentine's Day, so I booked a local babysitting service about 2 weeks in advance. They told me that it was confirmed, but as it grew closer to the 14th, the first sitter cancelled and they set me up with a replacement, which was to be at the hotel by 8pm, since we had 9:30 dinner reservations at Boudro's, which was excellent by the way. The sitter called at 7:45pm to say that she could not find a place to park and then stopped returning my calls. Please bear with me here, you will see why this is a hotel review and not a review of the sitter service. I contaced the sitter service after hours service and they could not reach the sitter either. I paced back and forth in the lobby while my wife got dressed for her 40th birthday/Valentine's night dinner and evening out on the San Antonio Riverwalk. I thought to ask for the hotel manager and he was more helpful than words alone can express. He immediately tried to contact another sitter service, but being Valentine's night, they were all booked, but to my surprise, a member of his staff offered to watch our sleeping children, 21 months and 3 1/2. The staff member didn't even want to be compensated, but I was only too glad to compensate her for her time. The Assistant General Manager, Al Dolandolan, was so considerate calling over to Boudro's to assure that they not only held our reservation, but gave us the best outside table. Boudro's even bought us our first round of drinks and dessert, after hearing our story with the babysitter service, from the hotel manager. I am leaving out how much aggravation and anxiety this situation caused earlier in the evening, especially planning this trip well in advance culminating with this evening out, which my wife and I have not had in quite some time. The staff member Belen and the AGM Al saved our evening and it went on to be a wonderful night out for us. The suite that we were given was excellent. It was clean and every member of the staff that we came in contact with was helpful, polite and offered to go out of their way to make sure that we had a wonderful stay at the hotel. The hotel lobby is everything that they say it is in the photos and other reviews. There is a business center in the lobby, which is open for use by anyone. You can believe everything that they say on their website, the hotel is great. It is near the Riverwalk, but I wouldn't advise walking too far away from the hotel, except towards the main Riverwalk area, since there are some not-so-great neighborhoods in the surrounding areas. There were many families there, as well as single people, wedding parties, and what appeared to be groups of business people, so this hotel clearly caters to anyone and everyone. The FREE breakfast was excellent, from hot foods to cereals, to fruit and yogurts, almost any breakfast item you could want. We didn't use the pools, but there we always passed people coming and going from the pools and they seemed like they were having fun. Thank you Belen and Al for a wonderful stay and for making my wife's 40th birthday a night to remember with a smile instead of a frown.

4 Thank LMichaelB
East Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2009

I just returned from a stay at The Drury Plaza Inn & Suites in San Antonio on the Riverwalk. The hotel is beautiful with lots of charm of another time and place. The rooms were nice and my room came with a great view from the 17th floor. The view from the top floor in the pool area was breath taking and I visited that area several times. I enjoyed the breakfast but I became disenchanted with the selections after awhile. The evening drinks and eats were rather pedestrian at best. The staff was really nice and accomodating and had fabulous service with the valet service for our car. The hotel has lots of nice perks but I feel the the price is a little high for proximity of the Convention Center. I would like to stay at the Drury again hopefully at a better price.

2 Thank EastTexasUnhappy
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2009

My husband, two year old son and I just stayed at this beautiful hotel for Valentine's Day. We stayed in one of the brand new terrace suites and loved it! It's worth the little extra money to stay in one of these lovely rooms. The original rooms of the hotel are nice but do not compare to the new terrace suites. Our room had a super comfy king sized bed in a separate bedroom area with huge flat screen television. The living area had another flat screen t.v., couch, table and chairs, comfy chair and ottoman, large entertainment center, microwave, small fridge and wet bar. Off of the living area is a large balcony with two chairs. The room was very big and beautifully decorated in sage green and brown colors. We were very impressed. Will definitely stay here again in the future.
The only minor flaws are the following areas. In order to get to these new suites you must take the main elevator up to the 6th floor and then walk down a hallway to another set of elevators that is designated for terrace suites only. It's a little out of the way to have to take two separate elevators but not a big deal once you see the room that you get. The only other minor flaws were that our room had a very bright smoke detector light right above our bed on the ceiling. At night it caused the room to become lit up quite a bit from the green light of the smoke detector. I am a very light sleeper so it did bother me because I like it completely dark. Safety is a must though as I know. The other odd thing about the room is that the bedroom has a frosted glass window that faces the living area. You cannot see through it so I think it's mainly for looks. The only problem was that it brought in a lot of light in the morning and when my two year old went to sleep the television light showed through the "window" and he kept waking up. No big issues. Just wanted to make others aware of these minor things that may not bother you at all.
We would definitely stay here again. Hotel is beautiful, terrace rooms were large and lovely in decor and free hot breakfast buffet and snacks and alcoholic drinks every evening were a huge plus. This hotel is a steal for what they offer. Their motto is "the extras aren't extra" and they really mean it. The service was top notch and we really enjoyed our stay. We wish we could have stayed longer.

4 Thank luv2snorkel0524
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2009

You could not pick a better location on the Riverwalk to stay. The pool on the rooftop provided a great view of the city. We had 5 adults in our group and stayed in a suite, it had plenty of room. The room was sparkling clean, staff friendly, and beds comfy.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
Franklin Lakes, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2009

My family from other states and I joined up at the Drury Plaza on the River Walk. It was an excellent choice for this purpose! First and foremost, the open area that is designated for meals was perfect for our party of 10 to sit and talk and have an extended time over breakfast or even the cocktail hour , where they give a free cocktail to each guest each night. We never felt pressure to leave the table and so this made it perfect for our group to visit one another as we were there for only a week-end. The location was FANTASTIC! We stumbled onto the Alamo and several shops. There is a wonderful street fair the last Saturday of each month on Houston Street. This was a great thing for kids of all ages to enjoy, food and craft vendors etc...not to mention the live music.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
Columbia, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2009

Great historical building. Large clean room. Good service. Great location. Fair rates. Overall a hotel I would stay again anytime.
The wine and beer reception was casal and fun.

Walk to all attractions in Riverwalk. Slightly outside main walk, but just a few steps and they are spend millions to extend walk to their backdoor.

Loved the old 1920 bank building coverted to a hotel, Worth a photo.

First time at a Drury Inn. Impressive. Even the reservation number had great customer care.

• Liked — The building
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank travelinman_CA