“Great Experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
Winchester, VA
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2008

Stayed at the Drury for two nights. Room was vey nice. Very sophisticated looking and comfortable. The bed was comfy, the towels were soft, the pool was relaxing, and the view was phenominal. The workout room was nice. The snack bar and drinks were a special treat. The breakfast was great. The staff was very helpful and gave great eating suggestions. Very nice and would go back in a heartbeat.

• Liked — The pool with a view
  • Disliked — Couldn't spend more time there
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (578)
Phoenix
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2008

We stayed at the Drury Plaza over labor day weekend. Our travel group included three adults and one nine year old child. We arrived around noon and our room was available for an early check-in. We stayed three nights.
ROOM: Our corner room was on the 16th floor. We had the oversized double queen suite. The size of the rooms was great. I liked the use of the dresser in the living area. The mini sink in the kitchen area with a mirror over it was perfect for brushing teeth, etc. The couch was a little small and uncomfortable. The flat screen big tv's in both living and bedroom were perfect though. Ceiling fans are a nice modern touch to hotels and are appreciated. We actually were able to see the river from our room which was cool. The bathroom was huge and very clean.
BREAKFAST/HOSPITALITY HOUR: Not enough places to sit. Not enough food. Not enough drink. Not enough plates, silverware, cups. Not enough variety. Not enough staff. Lines were way too long morning or evening. I see a pattern here. The only positive was the fact that the hotel had Pepsi products. (I am very loyal to my diet Pepsi.) But the machines were out of all soda. Yes, all soda. I tried to find something with fizz and found none. It took the attendent at least 15minutes to refill the soda fountains and then you had to stand in line to get some. The food could be described as something to eat; Better than not eating; A way to save money for chips, salsa and a drink on the Riverwalk! And trust me, I am not a picky eater. I support fast food dollar menu's.
AMENITIES: Business center was perfect for printing out my boarding passes. No issue with their equipment. The pools however are another story. The rooftop pool is great for the view. But since you are on the roof it is very windy. And the pool is very small. If you have a pool at home, skip the swim until you get home. The inside pool in the other tower is also small and way too much cholorine. Again, if you have a pool at home, skip the swim. Not too mention there are a lot of kids who never get a chance to swim and their parents do not enforce rules that are common sense so the swim will most likely not be enjoyable. Chase Bank is in the lobby and the ATM was very handy. Elevators run a bit slow. Kind of a hit and miss on wait times, but there were times when we had to pass and wait for another one. Breakfast time is the worst and plan on passing on 4 or 5 elevators since they are crammed with people checking out with suitcases. For security purposes the hotel locks the outside doors after 6pm so you have to use your key card to get in which made me feel safer if nothing else.
LOCATION: No complaints. The hotel is on the Riverwalk. We did not have a car, so we walked or rode the trolleys for a buck! We saw everthing we wanted to and then some. Rode the boats, went to the Mercado, ate all our meals at restaurants on the riverwalk. The trolley stop is acrosss the street on both sides and is easy to use.
OVERALL: The best part of the hotel is location. Also, it is really cool how they were able to convert an old bank into a hotel. The hotel was clean, the lobby is beautiful and the room was a great size and well kept. No complaints on staff at front desk or bell desk. The negatives were the included breakfast and the elevators. Given that, I would still go back to this hotel and I would recommend this hotel for its location and value.

• Liked — Location on Riverwalk.
  • Disliked — The included breakfast.
  • Stayed September 2008
2 Thank F150Girlz
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2008

My girlfriend and I stayed here for our 3rd Anniversary and we throughly enjoyed ourselves. The total experience was outstanding. Everyone working there is so attenative and nice! I will be returning again, and again!
ps, the inclusive breakfast in the morning is top notch

• Liked — the rooms!
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2008

I recently stayed here for 5 nights. A very nice hotel.

It's only 4 blocks from the convention center. I nice easy walk and very safe. Close to the river walk - there is an entrance from the hotel to one part of the river walk. Just outside the main entrance - you can also walk about 1/2 block to another entrance to the riverwalk - close to the restaurants.

The room was a nice size. I was on the 18th floor. I had a king sized bed, a nice desk, lazy-boy type chair which was comfortable to watch the LCD flat screen tv. The room had a refrigerator, microwave and drawer space. Very quiet -didn't hear anything in the hallway

Staff was very friendly. It was a little hard to find at first where the front desk was. The hotel is in an old bank building. The business center off the lobby has free internet and free printing.

The 2nd floor had free hot breakfast, lots of choices. In the evening during happy hour - included free snacks, like nachos, popcorn, etc..

The pool, hot tub and deck are all on the roof - nice view of the city.
I would definitely recommend this hotel - lots of amenities, decent price and great location. There is also a great japanese restaurant across the street.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank swisstourist
Charlotte
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2008

My husband and I just returned from a 3 night stay at the Drury Plaza Hotel and I have to say, "we were not disappointed. " The stay was excellent . The suite was top notch and the conditions were beyond our expectations! The staff went above and beyond the call of duty because this was my husband's,
50th birthday. They held my "goodies", and revealed them when I requested. Great location on the Riverwalk. We would definitely recommend this hotel and when we return to San Antonio, our stay will be at the Drury Plaza!

Charlotte, North Carolina

Stayed October 2008
1 Thank Baby45
NM
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2008

The hotel is fairly new so it was nice in elegance and style. The rooms were clean. The beds were comfortable. The pool on the roof at night was AMAZING. That is where the good stopped and bad began. Staff is highly incompitent and rude. I was called vulgar names behind my back as I was leaving the front desk after filing a complaint. This hotel offers a hot breakfast and evening drinks (4 choices) and three per person per night. IF you get your three drinks in from 5-7:30 pm (the lines are LONG and only two stations) then you can "always just walk down the dark street lined with homeless to a local liquer store to purchase a bottle of wine and bring it back to drink in your room. " There is no lounge. There is NOTHING served after 7:30 pm but burned popcorn and fountain drinks. The incompitant staff DID however offer us several coupons for Dominoes and some chinese delivery places instead of room service. I would expect a hotel that charges this much per night $278.00 for a suite to offer SOME ammenities. I will NEVER EVER think about staying at this hotel again and would not recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — the pool on the roof
  • Disliked — The staff
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Parkerfab4
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2008

Our family stayed here in late June. The Drury is always first class. The room was wonderful. The pool was amazing! Breakfast was fantastic, as always. The staff was absolutely polite, courteous and helpful. The only bad part was that we were lucky to get one night and we needed to make it two, but there was a convention beginning or continuing the next day and they were booked. Pricey, but absolutey first class. A tip - the Drury Plaza in St. Louis, the one a block or so from the arch - just as great as this one. Book a few nights there, go see a Cardinals game, the arch, etc. San Antonio Drury - a great stay!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family