“Great Place to Stay in San Antonio”

Drury Plaza Hotel San Antonio Riverwalk
Ranked #6 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
Vancouver, Washington
“Great Place to Stay in San Antonio”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Check-in was a breeze.... while waiting for the desk clerk to register me, I was awestruck by the lobby... soaring ceilings, gold leaf gilding, on the ceilings and columns. Classic, nostalgic, and a photographer's dream.

The staff were professional and within 2 minutes of arriving at the counter, I had my key in hand and was headed to my room.

The room was clean and well appointed. Microwave and mini fridge. The bed was unbelievably comfortable. Plenty of easy-to-access power outlets were available for my three electronic devices that always accompany me.

Free breakfast in the morning and food and drinks in the evening - NICE TOUCH!

As fate would have it, the weather during my stay was very cold for this part of Texas - freezing rain and cold wind so I didn't make use of the rooftop pool which was heated. The view from the top is spectacular. I should also mention that there are multiple hot tubs up there as well.

Lastly, the bottom floor rear doors open onto the River Walk....Great access and just steps from restaurants.

All - in - All a good stay. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (601)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

This was my first stay at a Drury Hotel, so I don't know if I experienced a typical Drury experience, but it was definitely different than most other hotels I've experienced,

The Drury Plaza Hotel in San Antonio is right on the Riverwalk. Lots of hotels claim the same, but this one has a door that opens onto the Riverwalk. On the way to that door you will see the spectacularly maintained environs of the Alamo National Bank Building. Touring the building is an experience in itself. It's a wonderful remnant of a time when America believed anything was possible and banks were unassailable; gorgeous stained glass, terraces, lighting, wood and mirror panelled elevators, etc., are being lovingly maintained by the Drury staff.

Hotel staff stand out as well. Without exception they are pleasant, helpful and make you feel like they want nothing more than for you to have a great stay. The front desk checks in to make sure your expectations are being surpassed and sound genuine when doing so. As already said, the hotel is impeccably maintained.

The included breakfast is a generous offering of eggs, sausages, yogurt, breads, biscuits, fruit, cereals...I probably am missing something. I loved that there were children there in their pyjamas! But the real surprise was the evening "kickback" which turned out to be a light but generous offering of dinner with drinks. I can't imagine needing to go out for a meal afterwards, but the entire Riverwalk is at your feet if your are so inclined.

I stayed in the Tower and had a huge room. I've become so accustomed to spaces where the door brushed the bed, it was a real shock to walk into a space that was big enough to host a cocktail party, with plenty of seating and standing room. The refrigerator and microwave were a great convenience. This hotel is probably great for families because of the space, the ease of getting morning and evening meals, and the thrill of seeing old timey bank vaults on the riverwalk level.

I will concede that the walk to the tower was a bit longish. It got so I had to anticipate an extra 10 minutes walking time to any destination because it took that long just to get to the lobby. The tower also smells strongly of the chlorinated pool on the 9th and 10th levels at least, but that didn't bother me.

The Drury Plaza is distinct from the generic dimly lit marbleized experience of most American hotels. It is very specifically Drury and very specifically historical San Antonio, but not in that forced texmex style of so much of the Riverwalk. I would definitely recommend it for travel with small kids (even if it rains you can run them through the building) and it was good for business travel.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Cece W
Texas Gulf Coast, Texas
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We stayed 2 nights (our second stay with this hotel) in a corner suite on the 16th floor. It was close to the ice machine and away from the elevator. The suite had a large refrigerator, wet bar, microwave, coffee machine, great rooftop views (one partial view of the Riverwalk), a living room (studio style) was connected to the kitchen area. The two queen beds in a separate room was a nice use of space. There is an indoor gym on the 22nd floor and wifi throughout which made all of us happy. We had no problems accessing it either. There is a nice hot breakfast on the 2nd floor and a 5:30 pm kickback also on the 2nd floor. Wine, beer, some mixed drinks are included for each adult in the room (limit 3 per adult) per evening. You are literally located on the Riverwalk. Valet parking is mandatory at $22 per night however, there are unlimited in and out privileges. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The front desk at check out was a bit slow but they are professional as was all of the staff from housekeeping on down. The hot tub and indoor pool are on the 9th floor but getting there is confusing because you will be told to get off on the 6th floor. The signs lead you to a certain point and stop. What they don't tell you is that you have to get on another set of elevators and go to the 9th floor. There is an indoor hot tub and pool and an outdoor deck with a view! (However in icy weather they do close the deck). The rooftop pool and hot tub were also closed due to inclement weather. There is also another viewing deck but again if it is icy/cold weather they might close it. High wind gusts are something to consider as well. The lobby is well appointed and a bit of nostalgia as it is the old Alamo Bank building. Here was the one problem we experienced with our trip (a group trip). There are no security cameras and or security in the halls of the hotel. One of the rooms on the 9th floor had the door kicked in and a ipad stolen. It happened after he took it to the 5:30pm kickback. We feel that the gathering area was being cased by professionals since that was the only item taken from the room and the door was closed after the theft. Management was unsympathetic and did not comp the stay for our group member who experienced the loss of property. The police said that it is a problem in the area. However, now that we are aware we will not take electronic devices downstairs to use in the lobby area. We also will conceal these items in our rooms upon departure. We will also leave music and or a tv on when we leave the room. There were flyers for a pizza place left everywhere up and down the halls on the same evening as the theft. Management says that whoever distributed them did it without approval from them. We wondered how many people were roaming the halls of the hotel that do not reside or work there? The location is also convenient to walk to local restaurants, drug stores, clubs, etc. We will stay here again but we will be more aware of our surroundings and those around us and we will take precautions.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite if you have a need for extra space especially if you have children. They are at the...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank TheSouthernBelle
DruryHotels, Manager at Drury Plaza Hotel San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Thank you for your review of your experience at the Drury Plaza Hotel Riverwalk. We appreciate the time spent to offer such detail as well as the warm compliments of the service levels your group experienced while our guests.

Our entire management team was sorry to learn about the loss of your iPad. However, without getting into too much detail, I assure you our hotel is equipped with a very advanced camera system along with a 24-hour security team patrolling our grounds. Also, we want to thank you for your feedback regarding our manager's response. We take our guest feedback seriously and utilize it to improve our products and/or services.

Again, we appreciate you sharing your experience and hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back as our guest during a future visit.

Matthew H., Drury Plaza Hotel - Riverwalk
Tampa, Florida, United States
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Everyone is very friendly, service is amazing and we will definitely stay there again! We hated to leave! Everyone from the valet, to check in, everyone at the evening social, our breakfast servers...everyone was very nice and helpful! Our room was very clean, even though the hotel seemed to be very full for a cheer leading competition everything was very clean and picked up throughout the entire hotel. You cannot go wrong staying here!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Edmond, Oklahoma
Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

There is a reason the Drury Plaza Hotel is ranked #13 out of all San Antonio hotels. It exceeded our expectations in every way and I am surprised it isn't ranked #1. The Drury was built in 1929 and was renovated as a hotel in 2006. Whoever did the renovations did an outstanding job. The hotel retained the classy look from the 20's but the amenities are modern and beautiful. The location is perfect. The valet parked our car when we arrived and we didn't use it until we left. There is access to the Riverwalk from the lower level of the hotel.

Our room was very clean and beautifully furnished. The hot breakfast was well manned, had plenty of food, was organized in several sections to minimize crowding, and the food was hot and delicious. The menu included pancakes, biscuits with hot peppered gravy, scrambled eggs, hash brown potatoes, toast, donuts, and bagels. There may have been other items, but those are things I remember. From 5:30-7 every day! there are hot snacks and drinks available. On the night we were there, we had hot dogs, chips, nachos, salad, and fresh vegetables. During the day they have fresh popcorn and coffee and sodas available, which is a nice treat when you have been out walking.

Without exception, every member of the staff spoke to us, checking to make sure we were well taken care of. Once when my husband and I were lost and looking for the elevator, two ladies from housekeeping noticed us and asked if they could help us. The management staff is always present, checking with guests to make sure they are taken care of. I spoke with Matthew, who said their goal is to make sure every guest is happy with their stay at the Drury.

Once again Trip Advisor gave me great advice about where to stay. My husband and I have a new favorite hotel and it's the Drury Plaza Hotel and suites. A great buy for the money and a beautiful hotel with wonderful customer relations.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Plaza Hotel San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
It was an absolute pleasure to meet you and your husband in the lobby. I want to personally thank you for your review posted on Trip Advisor. We appreciate the time spent and the great detail provided. Our team works hard to exceed our guests’ expectations, so I will ensure they have the opportunity to read your review and celebrate the success.

Matthew H.
General Manager in-Training
Brea
Reviewed February 1, 2014

We stay in this hotel 2 nights. The location is excellent - right on the River Walk and within walking distance to the Alamo and other attractions. The staff is very friendly. The evening drinks and snacks a very nice touch. The breakfast was plentiful and well stocked - meaning that they made sure nothing was missing, and everything with a big smile. The room was spacious and very clean. If I come again to San Antonio, I'll make sure to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Jackson, Mississippi
Reviewed January 31, 2014

I spent five nights at the Drury Plaza as part of a Road Scholar program and loved everything about it. The location was convenient, my room was comfortable and spotless, the staff were extremely friendly and helpful, the happy hour every afternoon was generous and fun. I recommend it highly. (Note: It's easy to get this hotel confused with the Drury Inn, almost next door. Though I'm sure it's fine also, I wanted to mention that so that people will be alert to the fact that they are different hotels with similar names.)

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo