“Simply the best!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Saint Joseph, Missouri, United States
“Simply the best!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Drury Plaza made our first visit to San Antonio an amazing experience....And we will be back!!! I wouldn't consider staying anywhere else! The building is beautiful and the fact that the Drury family has preserved the historical value of the bldg. (which was once the Alamo Bank) is awesome. I loved looking at the pictures that chronicled the story behind the hotel as well as recent investment in extending the riverwalk area. The staff was excellent. We loved our suite! Very roomy, clean, comfortable bed, incredible view of the city from our balcony as well as from the rooftop pool. The free breakfast and kickback happy hr. drinks and food were super. Can't beat the location.

Room Tip: We stayed in the San Fernando Tower. It was a suite with a Jacuzzi in the bathroom. The view from th...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank stjoejanie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (542)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Our stay at the Drury Plaza Riverwalk in San Antonio was one of the best we've experienced. The hotel housed in the former Alamo National Bank is solidly built, which helps reduce street noise.

The beds and bedding were very comfortable, and the room (one of the bigger ones), had a very comfortable sofa and reclining chair.

A hot buffet breakfast offered a wide selection of food, and the "5:30 Kick Back" every evening was tremendous value. As well as a great selection of food (salads, pasta, wings, hot dogs, baked potatoes) each adult (legal drinking age) was offered 3 free alcoholic beverages each evening.

The staff were genuinely caring and appreciative of our business. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank 2005Italy
Miami, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Stayed at the Drury Plaza Hotel Riverwalk for work. I must say I was very delighted with the hotel's amenities. The afternoon happy hour is not as bad as others make it out to be. If you're looking for a five course meal then you're going to be disappointed. It's basically appetizers and light refreshments and that can get you through the day if you don't eat much. If you want meat, there is a very good steakhouse just down the street called Texas Land and Cattle. Prices are not too bad.

The hotel is right on the riverwalk and you can walk down the riverwalk and see all the nice shops and restaurants along the way. There's something for everyone on the riverwalk from ice cream shop to nice sit down restaurants, to an Irish Pub.

Overall, the stay was excellent because it was close to where I needed to go for work, and the Riverwalk was great to walk at night. I would highly recommend this hotel for any stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank yandro
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Trip to see my son graduate from BMT. Good hotel in great old banking building and good food in the lobby everyday. Lots of kids around but surprisingly quiet. Not directly on Riverwalk which is a bonus. Cannot beat the value really.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank justgo64
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

My husband and I traveled to San Antonio for a night on the Riverwalk to celebrate our first anniversary. We spent the night at the Drury and from the moment we pulled into the Valet, they were fabulous. The valet was courteous and promt, the front desk staff was polite and helpful with all questions.

The room was a good size, well decorated, and comfortable.

The only complaint would be the insulation was terrible. We were very close to the elevator and could hear the elevator all night long. The elevators announce every floor, and we heard it every time someone got on or off our floor. We are both heavy sleepers, so we slept through it, but for a light sleeper this could be a definite deal breaker.

The hotel itself is an old bank, and we had some fun exploring it. If you go down to the basement (Riverwalk Level) you can see the old vault, which they swing open during the day. There was also a courtyard that we had to go to the sixth floor, to another set of elevators and then all the way to the top to find, but it was beautiful. There was no one there, but it was an excellent place to sit and read, or bring a drink and sit with friends.

We explored more and looked at the pools, they were both decent sized and well taken care of. The indoor pool was empty! (I don't think a lot of people knew it was there.) The outdoor pool also had two hot tubs separate from the pool to enjoy.

The location of the hotel is technically ON the Riverwalk, but it is about two blocks from the majority of the restaurants/stores that most people consider to be the hub of the Riverwalk. I actually preferred being a little bit away but still close enough to walk.

Overall it was a great hotel for my husband and I for the night, and I would definitely like to stay there again for a longer trip. I would recommend asking for a room away from the elevators if you are a light sleeper (or don't want to hear them all night.)

Room Tip: Corner suite seemed large! Elevators are loud, and you can hear them if you are nearby.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank K C
Manchester, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I'm an older person, and the Drury is an older hotel. But I like to do new and exciting things, and the Drury accommodates that too. I arrived late in the evening and the exact room that I had reserved had already been sold. I was quickly given an upgrade. And not just to a larger room, but to a suite. My reservation had stated that I wanted a Jacuzzi, and the suite had one. Needless to say, that made my experience a pleasure. I realize that this circumstance would not happen all the time, but the rest of the amenities happen every day. Full service breakfast buffet, with food being cooked fresh right in front of you. A complimentary cocktail hour with a large variety of hot and cold foods. A private entrance on the the famous Riverwalk. Two pools, one inside, the other out. Key card controlled elevator access 24/7 and on the lobby doors in the evening. And a lobby decor fitting to the bank that it once was. I would be remiss in not mentioning Desiree at the front desk as being a true ambassador for this hotel. Her treatment of me was as if I were a guest in her home and that she was glad I was there.
My next vacation is to New Orleans in March. I would not even think of staying with any other hotel.company.

Room Tip: Use whatever booking service you like to compare hotels when you are planning your trip. Make your r...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank jtfftj1155
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Let me start off by saying the hotel is beautiful inside but filled with rude and disrespectful people. Not only did I get cussed at and disrespected. Valet stole from me and when I approached management they could care less. DEREK one of the most disrespectful managers cussed me out and when trying to approach general manager James he refused to listen and insisted I was a liar smh. If your into getting cussed out and being degraded then this is the hotel for you. Not a family friendly environment at all. New management lack professionalism and respect for there guest.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank YANG K
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Plaza Hotel Riverwalk, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
At Drury Hotels, we hold guest service in the highest regard. We apologize if you felt the interactions with our team were unprofessional. We’ve had the opportunity to speak with you directly to address your concerns on several occasions, and feel it is not appropriate to share the details of our one-on-one conversation in this public forum. In the future, another hotel may be better able to accommodate your specific requests and we wish you success in finding a hotel to fit your needs when traveling.