“What a great way to celebrate a wedding anniversary”

Drury Plaza Hotel San Antonio Riverwalk
Ranked #8 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I have traveled alot in my lifetime, so I can easly compare hotels. And this hotel is nothing but excellent in every way. The hotel was spotless, sheets and towels snow white and very soft, and staff were so couteous and friendly. The hotel it self is worth visiting for historical reasons.
The hotel is on the Riverwalk but one has to go thru the convention center of the hotel to get a Rio taxi. It is much easier to cross Commerce street, side entrance to the hotel, and take steps directly to the Riverwalk. Then the taxi stop is less than a half a block. Drury Hotels are famous for their full free breakfast. But if you are on a tight budget, the happy hour selection of food can be your supper! The hotel does not have a resturant but located by many.

Room Tip: We were in the main building which had elevators right off the main lobby.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TKay_12

Reviewed May 9, 2013

We stayed in room 1261. It was described as a suite with a terrace. Before arriving we wondered what the terrace would be like. We have seen some rooms along the river that barely have any room and others that have large areas. The terrace was a pleasant surprise. It had plenty of room for two chairs and a table. There was room to easily move around and we even had room for an additional chair. The layout of the suite was rather strange but it worked well for our purposes. The bedroom is basically inside the room with no outside window. It does have a frosted glass window that looks into the large living room area. There were three of us in the suite and it never felt crowded.

Our view from the terrace was great! We were West facing along the river with a view of an amazing church and square area. We spent a lot time on our terrace enjoying the view.

Of course we appreciated the warm breakfast and the happy hour each evening. The staff at this location are truly outstanding. They are always willing to go the extra mile to make your stay amazing. They are really the reason we returned to stay at this hotel!

We flew into the airport and were surprised at how easy the public bus system, VIA, was to use. It was $1.20 per person to get from the airport the hotel. You don't have to change busses and it takes around 45 minutes. The bus drops you off litterally steps from the hotel entrance.

Next time we vacation in San Antonio we will return to the Drury Plaza Hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank eser1174
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here on three occasions over the past nine months while visiting my daughter who has been at Lackland AFB and then Ft Sam Houston. I just checked out Monday, May 6, 2013 after another three night stay.

This building was originally build as a bank in the late 1920's to 1930's. Druery did an amazing job converting this to a hotel while preserving so much of the building's rich history and architecture.

The lobby is elegant and inviting. Near the elevators and also in the basement area, you will find lots of framed photos from the bank's early years. Each time I go, I spend time looking at all of the photos. Also in the basement area the bank safe is still open a viewable from a distance, some of the original electrical service has been preserved and is viewable.

A great place for anyone that appreciates history and a great place for anyone planning to spend time on the Riverwalk!

I've always requested to stay as high up as possible and two of my stays have been on the 21st floor which is one floor below the roof top pool and hot tub area! My room has always been very nice, very clean and always had an amazing view from each of the many windows!

I spend much of my time on the roof top patio near the hot tubs and pool. The view is just incredible, both day and night! Bring your camera up.....and bathing suit!

The staff here are great....all of them Ive encountered from the front desk, the morning breakfast crew, housekeeping, to the valet guys. I'm terrible at remembering names, but Larry (valet parking employee) I have to say was always a pleasure to see and visit with. He always called me by name and remembered that I was visiting my daughter. He was always helpful with directions and had a map handy! There were several that were helpful, but I can't remember all of their names. Great staff everywhere!

Access to the Riverwalk is through the basement area, which I love as previously mentioned. The Riverwalk is just beautiful day and night! The restaurants, the music, the people, the massive trees, the landscaping, the architecture, etc! I can't get enough. I will try and write separate reviews for my favorite restaurants, but I must at least mention The County Line for some wonderful BBQ! Mmmmmmmmm!

Bottom line, if you are visiting San Antonio downtown Riverwalk area, stay here at Druery Plaza! It may be a bit more expensive and you have to pay $19 a day so your car can sleep near by, but you aren't getting a cookie cutter hotel and you will remember this place as a found part of your visit!

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank Bwluvinlife
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the hotel while attending a conference. The hotel was conveniently located down town and right on the river walk. The included morning breakfasts were appreciated and the free happy hour drinks and snacks was a nice touch. The staff was friendly and helpful. I would return to this hotel if staying in San Antonio again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Here for business during Fiesta! Awesome time to be in San Antonio. The hotel staff was friendly and literally every time I past an employee they greeted me. I had stayed here maybe two years prior and did not remember service being this good. The breakfast, afternoon snacks and kickback were a welcomed treat. If travelling on a budget this is the property for you. You can save a great deal on food cost by choosing to stay at this property. I enjoyed my time here, great location to Riverwalk. Tip: Ask for a room in the Tower if available.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank 29SometimesItravel
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Our group tour stayed here April 29 for 3 nights. No negatives. Staff was awesome. Always willing to go out of their way for you. One lady named Veronica made sure we had everything we needed. She even went out to the motor coach when our luggage was being loaded to make sure everything was there. She is really an asset to the hotel. Beautiful, clean, quiet rooms. Free breakfast and kick-back food and free drinks. Can't beat it. Easy access to the riverwalk. I would recommend this hotel to anyone including large groups to families to couples. Loved it.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 1110. Nice view of some of the skyline at night including the tower.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 2, 2013

This is our second stay at a Drury property (after New Orleans, 2012), and it again exceeded our expectations. Drury's parent company has a special way of repurposing classic old structures, and turning them into great places to stay. This was once the Alamo National Bank, a wonderful art deco landmark in San Antonio. Our room was clean, and extremely quiet. Check-in service and food service staff were friendly and efficient. Location, on a quiet part of the Riverwalk, was sensational. A short 3 minute walk beside the river gave you access to loads of restaurants, shops, activities, and interesting sights. You can't beat the hot food for both breakfast and dinner, along with three alcoholic beverages per guest, per night. The food was hot, plentiful, with enough of a variety, and more than adequate. (Not a gourmet sit-down dining experience, but nothing lacking in a meal, clearly.) Only thing I would clarify is the parking. We self-parked on the 2nd floor, and when checking out the next day, the hotel garage staff indicated that we could have gotten towed. There were no signs to let you know that, and front desk staff should ask where you parked, and whether it was valet or self-parking. Regardless, everything worked out fine, and we had NO problems. One last note....be sure to hit the rooftop pool and outdoor lounge area. Terrific views of San Antonio in all directions. Very happy with our overnight stay! Thanks!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple