“Best thing about this hotel is the pool on the roof!”

Drury Plaza Hotel San Antonio Riverwalk
Ranked #7 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
Leigh on Sea
“Best thing about this hotel is the pool on the roof!”
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Lovely friendly reception staff, very good with pointing out where local sights were. This building has character which fits with the rest of San Antonio it's grand on in the lobby, but office block like in the rooms and corridors. Our room had a massive gap under the door which let in light and sound from the corridor. The happy hour was like a rugby scrum and I saw lots of unhygienic prodding and poking of food, and I was quite ill after having a drink and some what looked like safe food!

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank SarahMay78
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Plaza Hotel San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you very much for sharing your experience! We appreciate your honest feedback to help us become better. We are very proud of our historic hotel and put a great amount of care and attention into it. We do typically fill up with many families and the kickback time is enjoyed by most of them. The issues you had pointed out in your review are great constructive criticism that we will take under review and correct. We hope to have the opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future. Thank you again for choosing Drury Hotels.

James Robbins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (601)
Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed February 24, 2013

This isn't a bad hotel. Maybe they were gouging a little charging 230 for a very basic room because of the rodeo. I don't know. But for that amount, I expect much more.

If you're into history and art deco, this is a very cool lobby to see. It's a 20's? bank restored as a hotel. I feel more thought should've been given to the front desk. The lobby is massive. The front desk is tiny in comparison. It took 15 mins to check in at 9PM and 30 to check out. That seems like forever when your on a tight schedule.
It was a long walk involving 2 elevators to get to my room.
My room had an empty fridge and a microwave. I'm well traveled and this is not something I expect from a 230/night room. Bottled water, chocolate, booze? Overcharge me for it, I don't care
The bed and linen were nice.
The hotel is situated on a dead spot of the riverwalk. Maybe good if you want quiet.
I booked this hotel because everything else on the river was booked. Now I know why it wasn't full.
Walking thru the hotel to the river was the best part. It's kind of a museum of the Alamo Bank. Very cool.

Austin, TX
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Have you stayed in downtown San Antonio and had to wait a long, long time to get your car? Stay here and your car is right there, any time, no waiting. The suites are big and comfortable. The included breakfast is great. Free happy hour, including some drinks. Fitness center, pool, hot tub, walk out, sit down balcony, and ... you are right on the Riverwalk. You are in a big city so there is some street noise.

Room Tip: ask for Riverwalk side but you may be way above the Riverwalk. You can look below from a balcony.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed February 22, 2013

New favorite Riverwalk hotel...I needed a hotel at the last minute when on a recent business trip. The location was perfect and the price was right. The hotel is beautiful--restored Art Nouveau architecture in a historic bank building. The staff was friendly. They clearly like working for Drury. The room was large and had a huge bathroom. Unexpected benefit--complimentary buffet and happy hour in the evening. I would recommend this hotel to business or vacation travelers--individuals or with kids.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank B G
Stuttgart, AR
Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

My family stayed here for vacation and it was nice. I would stay again. My only regret is the room was small and we were with our 20 month old daughter, but other than that it was nice! The pool is awesome.

• Stayed February 2013
Atlanta
Reviewed February 20, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 4 night stay at the Drury Plaza Riverwalk Hotel in San Antonio. The hotel is the former Alamo National Bank, and they have done a magnificent job of turning it into a hotel while keeping the feel of the original building. The lobby of the hotel is absolutely gorgeous. We did have a bit of confusion at check-in. The first attendant at the valet parking said we should have checked in first and gotten a ticket for valet parking. So I ran in and had to stand in line to check in, only to be told that our room wasn't ready. In the meantime, another valet person automatically gave my husband a parking ticket so that my husband was standing beside me with our luggage as I was finding out that our room wasn't ready. When I received the cell phone call that our room was ready, I was very upset that I had to stand in line again to check-in, even though I had already stood in line once. The rest of our stay was without incident, and on our last evening I asked to speak to the manager on duty. We explained that we didn't think it was right to make a guest stand in line twice to check in...that there should be a different way of handling guests who had already tried to check in only to find their room wasn't ready, well after check-in time began. Hector, an assistant manager of the hotel, was wonderful. He listened to our concerns and took notes and was genuinely appreciative of our input. The free breakfast in the mornings served everything from bagels, pancakes, toast and yogurt to biscuits, sausage, eggs and gravy. The 5:30pm "Kick-Back" served up to 3 free drinks (mixed, beer or wine) per person plus enough food to make your "kick-back" your supper for the evening. Our room was cleaned perfectly every day, and we did not encounter even one employee who wasn't smiling. Even with the snafu about getting the first valet parking ticket/delayed check-in, I give this hotel a 5 rating because our stay was pleasant in every other way. We walked out the front door, walked less than half a block and were at the steps down to the Riverwalk. We will definitely stay here again if we are ever lucky enough to visit San Antonio again!

3 Thank BirdwatcherGA
Kansas
Reviewed February 20, 2013

This hotel was awesome from top to bottom. Housed in an old bank building, it was striking and also comfortable. The lobby is gorgeous. Our room was sizable and comfortable to the max, with an awesome king size bed that just invited sleeping in. I especially loved the proximity to the Riverwalk and other areas. Yes, we had to pay for valet parking, but we didn't mind after checking out prices for parking in nearby lots. At $19 a night, it was either about the same or even cheaper than using an alternative lot. From the front desk staff to housekeeping to the buffet/evening kickback staff, to the parking attendants, everyone was absolutely lovely. I cannot say enough good things about the hotel! Make sure you check out the rooftop heated pool and hot tubs, and the other indoor pool. They are spotless and welcoming. We enjoyed an evening at the kickback event, then went up to the rooftop pool and swam under the stars while looking out at the city lights. Accessing the Riverwalk is as simple as walking to the lowest level of the hotel and stepping out the back door. Area restaurants were wonderful, as was the overall ambiance. This is how a hotel should be - impressive and welcoming at the same time. I would absolutely recommend this for any traveller in the area. Way to go, Drury!

Room Tip: Our room did not have a view of the Riverwalk, but it didn't matter to us. There are so many thi...
3 Thank Visitor_041998