“Beautiful hotel on San Antonio Riverwalk”

Drury Plaza Hotel San Antonio Riverwalk
Ranked #10 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed February 20, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 4 night stay at the Drury Plaza Riverwalk Hotel in San Antonio. The hotel is the former Alamo National Bank, and they have done a magnificent job of turning it into a hotel while keeping the feel of the original building. The lobby of the hotel is absolutely gorgeous. We did have a bit of confusion at check-in. The first attendant at the valet parking said we should have checked in first and gotten a ticket for valet parking. So I ran in and had to stand in line to check in, only to be told that our room wasn't ready. In the meantime, another valet person automatically gave my husband a parking ticket so that my husband was standing beside me with our luggage as I was finding out that our room wasn't ready. When I received the cell phone call that our room was ready, I was very upset that I had to stand in line again to check-in, even though I had already stood in line once. The rest of our stay was without incident, and on our last evening I asked to speak to the manager on duty. We explained that we didn't think it was right to make a guest stand in line twice to check in...that there should be a different way of handling guests who had already tried to check in only to find their room wasn't ready, well after check-in time began. Hector, an assistant manager of the hotel, was wonderful. He listened to our concerns and took notes and was genuinely appreciative of our input. The free breakfast in the mornings served everything from bagels, pancakes, toast and yogurt to biscuits, sausage, eggs and gravy. The 5:30pm "Kick-Back" served up to 3 free drinks (mixed, beer or wine) per person plus enough food to make your "kick-back" your supper for the evening. Our room was cleaned perfectly every day, and we did not encounter even one employee who wasn't smiling. Even with the snafu about getting the first valet parking ticket/delayed check-in, I give this hotel a 5 rating because our stay was pleasant in every other way. We walked out the front door, walked less than half a block and were at the steps down to the Riverwalk. We will definitely stay here again if we are ever lucky enough to visit San Antonio again!

3  Thank BirdwatcherGA
There are newer reviews for Drury Plaza Hotel San Antonio Riverwalk

Reviewed February 20, 2013

This hotel was awesome from top to bottom. Housed in an old bank building, it was striking and also comfortable. The lobby is gorgeous. Our room was sizable and comfortable to the max, with an awesome king size bed that just invited sleeping in. I especially loved the proximity to the Riverwalk and other areas. Yes, we had to pay for valet parking, but we didn't mind after checking out prices for parking in nearby lots. At $19 a night, it was either about the same or even cheaper than using an alternative lot. From the front desk staff to housekeeping to the buffet/evening kickback staff, to the parking attendants, everyone was absolutely lovely. I cannot say enough good things about the hotel! Make sure you check out the rooftop heated pool and hot tubs, and the other indoor pool. They are spotless and welcoming. We enjoyed an evening at the kickback event, then went up to the rooftop pool and swam under the stars while looking out at the city lights. Accessing the Riverwalk is as simple as walking to the lowest level of the hotel and stepping out the back door. Area restaurants were wonderful, as was the overall ambiance. This is how a hotel should be - impressive and welcoming at the same time. I would absolutely recommend this for any traveller in the area. Way to go, Drury!

Room Tip: Our room did not have a view of the Riverwalk, but it didn't matter to us. There are so many thi...
3  Thank Visitor_041998
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here in the summer and it was a great experience. Steps to the Riverwalk and other sites was ideal and the price was very reasonable. It included breakfast and snacks/drinks at happy hour. Very popular amongst guests.
It was a busy time as many were using the pool so that was quite crowded.
Staff were great wished we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank aveanddad
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I'm unsure why this place gets such great reviews. We paid $189 per night for a room that was old looking and a touch dingy. We stayed in the tower, meaning that every time we wanted to go downstairs, we took an elevator down to the sixth floor, walked through a sketchy and at times small walkway, then waited for another elevator to go down. What a beating.

Probably the worst issue we had with this hotel was the fact that while we were there for two nights, they apparently were not going to send housekeeping to our room at all. We were out most of the day (Saturday) and returned at 4 pm to our room. Housekeeping had still not been there. I called the front desk asking why and asking them to please send them up to give us fresh towels. The operator was rather rude and unapologetic. My husband and I wanted to take a nap, but could not as we were waiting on housekeeping. 4:15...4:30...4:45...still no housekeeping. After repeated calls they finally showed up at 5 pm. 5!! $189 per night, plus tax and $19 per night valet parking, and we couldn't even get housekeeping to deign to come to our room. And of course, there was no apology.

Don't stay here. It's barely on the riverwalk and it is not worth it. So many other places to choose from, go there.

2  Thank Torchness
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Plaza Hotel San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. Feedback from our guests is a gift and helps us to celebrate our successes and take a look at our opportunities and fix them to improve our service to our guests. Our goal is to ensure you have a great stay and that we exceed your expectations throughout your time with us. I do apologize that you experienced an issue during your stay. I am not sure if you contacted to the front desk about the distance to your room, while a busy weekend, we may have been able to find you a room in our main tower to make it easier for you. We thank you again for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.

James Robbins

Reviewed February 17, 2013

My husband & I just celebrated our 20th anniversary with a long weekend in San Antonio. We stayed at the Drury Plaza Hotel on the Riverwalk. It's a very nice hotel BUT it took the housekeeping staff until 6 pm in the evening to get around to cleaning our room & they forgot to leave us coffee for the next morning. When we made our reservations, we told them it was our anniversary & we wanted a room with a balcony on the river. We were told that they only had 1 room available which WAS NOT what we wanted AND more money BUT they would upgrade us and/or give us a river room if one became available. When we checked in, they said we were "upgraded". The room WAS nice BUT exactly what we booked when we made the reservations; no upgrade. Seems there is a whole seperate part of the hotel that they don't tell you exist; indoor heated pool & hot tub(S),& terrace deck, seperate from the one they tell you about. There were several empty rooms with balconies, on the riverside but WE WERE NOT given the option to upgrade. The free breakfast was very nice BUT exactly the same every morning. The free munchies & drinks (3) every night were nice, too BUT for the price of the room, I guess nothing's free.

Room Tip: Ask questions about the ammenities, they don't tell you that they have an indoor, heated pool. R...
2  Thank herenwho

Thank you very much for letting us know of your past experience with us. We appreciate your honest feedback to help us become better. It seems that the level of service you received is not the standard we expect. We are very proud of our historic hotel and put a great amount of care and attention into it. The issues you pointed out in your review are great constructive criticism that we will take under review and correct. We hope to have the opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future. Thank you again for choosing Drury Hotels.

James Robbins

Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for our 15 year anniversary and we loved ever part of our stay. The location was great. The view from our balcony was great. Our room was very large. The staff was excellent! I.didn't encounter one staff member that didn't greet us, offer info, wish us a good day, etc. We are looking forward to another trip to this hotel! Great job Drury!

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank ashfon12
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Hotel is conveniently located on the Riverwalk. We went there by taxi from airport and arrived early and were able to check in then. Very friendly personnel at front desk. This was one of the biggest hotel rooms we've had and quite nice. King bed, couch, recliner and ottoman plus a table and two chairs. Large bathroom too. We did eat the breakfast there and went to 5:30 kickback w/drinks and food. Both were good w/variety of food. We got on the water taxi at the back of the hotel and was very convenient since hotel is directly on the Riverwalk.

1  Thank Grace621