“Family Friendly, Convenient, Comfortable only 1 Drawback :(”

Drury Plaza Hotel San Antonio Riverwalk
Ranked #10 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed January 4, 2013

NOT BRILLIANT: My biggest drawback was that we were put into a separate tower than the main hotel and therefore had to take the elevator to the 6th floor and then walk down a maze of hallways to another elevator and then go up to our room which was located on the 11th floor. We have 4 kids, this was a pain in the butt every time!!!!

CANTANKEROUS: Valet. Having never stayed at a hotel with a valet I thought this wouldn't be too much of an issue but I would just like to say I would prefer to be able to get in my car and go when I am ready. Having to wait wasn't a big issue. Most days it was less than a 15 minute wait, however on our last day we had to wait close to 40 minutes because there was a marathon the next day and the hotel was very busy. 40 minutes with kids is HELL.

WORST ISSUE: We arranged a late check out when making our reservation and upon arrival even confirmed the LATE CHECK OUT TIME. We had a wedding to go to at 3pm and leaving the hotel at 11 with 4 dressed and perfect looking children wouldn't work out well... At all. Literally every 20 minutes from 11-1 we had someone knock on our door asking if we were planning on leaving yet. Then in addition to the door knocking at 12 we had a front desk person calling our in room phone every 10 minutes asking why we hadn't left yet. Seriously lacking professional demeanor. Wishing I had known that the valet was going to take 40 minutes and I would have called down to have my car ready since obviously the phone was working...because it kept ringing!

GOOD: 4 kids (2, 5, 6 and 9) and they all loved this hotel. It is convenient to the Riverwalk. Also the "snack" time in the afternoon where they make up popcorn and let you grab your own soda was awesome. That happens after 3pm and then they also have a evening "snack" where you can get a variety of foods depending on the day. (chicken strips, baked potatoes, nachos...etc) It really helped because my kids are always hungry and these just happened to be the times we were getting into the hotel everyday.

GOOD: The breakfasts were much more than the average continental breakfast. Biscuits and gravy, waffles, eggs...etc. It made a huge difference in our travel budget because we could eat breakfast before we left the hotel every morning.

AWESOME: The rooftop pool and hot tubs were to die for. They were so much fun, the pool is heated and we were there in November the temps were in the mid 70's. There is glass all around so it was not windy. We also got to watch the Veteran's Day Parade from the roof. This used to be an old bank and downstairs is a little bit of a museum. Very brief, but cool. :)

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main hotel and not in the tower.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Mistyeveduncan
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Plaza Hotel San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. Feedback from our guests is a gift and helps us to celebrate our successes and take a look at our opportunities then fix them to improve our service for our guests. Our goal is to ensure you have a great stay and that we exceed your expectations throughout your time with us. I do apologize that you experienced an issue during your stay. If at any point you have a concern please let us know, so that we can address it while you are here. I am not sure if you contacted to the front desk about the distance to your room, while a busy weekend, we may have been able to find you a room in our main tower to make it easier for you and your children. Please know that we are always reviewing our valet procedures and our team tries to get everyone in and out quickly and safely, sometimes loading and unloading vehicles does extend the time frame, especially on a busy day. I am also very sorry about the miscommunication we had regarding your late check out, this is something that we have since addressed.

We are glad to see that you enjoyed the majority of your stay and that your kids had a good time. When you travel back to San Antonio in the future once you have made your reservations please give us a call at the hotel and speak with a manager so we can ensure we get you into a nice, comfortable room that is easier to access with your kids. We thank you again for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.

James Robbins

There are newer reviews for Drury Plaza Hotel San Antonio Riverwalk

Reviewed January 3, 2013

We chose this place based on reviews and location, as we wanted to visit the riverwalk area on foot. This was our first visit to this city.

Downtown San Antonio is hard to get around in, and finding the hotel was a chore. Parking is virtually nil. They have mandatory valet parking, but it took me several times around the neighborhood to figure out where it was (beneath the hotel). This is likely due to my unfamiliarity with this city.

The building was once a great bank, and it is very beautiful inside and out. The lobby is very large and bustling--reminded me of a train or bus station. After a confusing journey to the 14th floor of the San Fernando tower, we found our room. The room was fantastic--a jacuzzi suite with balcony. The view was great. The room was clean, with two televisions and plenty of cabinets and amenities. The basement of the hotel has a sort of "museum" of the old bank, with the original vault and old photos from the 1930s on up.

They offer "included" food and adult drinks at 5:30 pm, and a hot breakfast in the morning. The food was plentiful, but not particularly good. Think somewhere between school cafeteria and sports bar happy hour (hot dogs, chicken fingers, mac-n-cheese, nachos). The drinks were fine. All in all, a nice perk for free, but it will not impress or satisfy picky eaters or foodies.

Pros: location is good; the rooms are great; the price was fair, considering; outdoor pool and hot tubs have a great view of the city; service* (*see below for more on this).

Cons: noisy, bustling lobby; just outside the building you may find "interesting" people loitering about; kickstart and breakfast food are merely adequate; no actual bar or restaurant on the premises.

*The reason I scored this hotel as high as I did (4.5 is more accurate), is the SERVICE. We met, literally, a dozen or so staff members from housekeeping, valet parking, and maintenance all the way up to upper management (they are EVERYWHERE). Every single person we met smiled, said "hello", and asked how our stay was. I have never felt so welcome. The very few questions or little problems we had were answered right away.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the San Fernando tower. Balcony suite is worth the few extra bucks.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Qbeing
Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

The location is prime, old bank building with secure access to river walk. Valet parking so you don't have to worry about safety of your car, parking downtown, and it is easily accessible. Note: It's $20/night. Staff is very helpful, and professional; they greeted us anywhere they saw us in the hotel. Included breakfast and "5:30 kickback".

Breakfast was so good, buffet style with fluffy pancakes, scrambled eggs, sausage, ham, cheese, salsa, oatmeal, yogurt, different cereals, coffee, chocolate, juice, fruit. The 5:30 kickback included 3 alcoholic beverages per day per adult, including wine, bud light, mixed drinks. The food consisted of pasta, baked potatoes, meatballs, celery, carrots with ranch dressing, chips, cheese, Mac and cheese, hot dogs, chicken tenders, lettuce, juice, soda. It is good for one or two days but the evening choices get old, mostly if you're not big on fast food-type options.

Spacious and well-kept room, flat screen tv, room on 19th floor, comfy bed and pillows. You can hear elevator ring if room close by and you can hear people on hallway. Otherwise room was peaceful. Room had three windows with nice city view. Limited river view.

Floors 22-23 with amazing city views, two hot tubs and one heated pool.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank boricua_travel
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We travel to San Antonio a few times a year and always enjoy staying on the riverwalk to be near nightlife and dining. We have stayed at many hotels all around the river, but this was the first time for us to stay at the Drury Plaza. It has not been on our list of “must do” but given our awesome corporate rate, and knowing San Antonio, this was a good location within easy walking distance to all of the key elements of downtown San Antonio. . Knowing that the hotel does not have a self park option, and the fact that their valet is $19+ tax per night, we choose to use the convenient garage a block away $15 with tax per 24 hours. (No in and out though...but we rarely leave once on the river)

The lobby is very grand.....this hotel is in a historic bank building and they kept much of that feel in the wonderful lobby. All of the the staff was very welcoming. All of the guest floors keep the historic feel. They assigned us a nice king room on a high floor but it was too close to the elevator so we moved to a room farther down the hall. Both rooms were very nice, not huge but nice. They also have some two room suites available in an adjoining building, you transfer to that tower from the sixth floor which could be a bit inconvenient if you had to do it often. We were here over New Years and never had any issues with noise, and appreciated them checking specially issued wrist bands New Years Eve night to ensure that only registered guests (at the allotted number per room!) were permitted in.

In the main tower there is a nice outdoor swimming pool and nice sized fitness center, though we did not use them as it was chilly out, and we were taking a break from working out. There is also a nice roof top deck on the same floor as the pool that has some awesome views of the city. Over in the other tower, there is a nice indoor pool as well as a wonderful deck with a nice view of the city. The ground level lobby huge and has some comfortable seating. The elevators are relatively speedy, especially given the hotel is at capacity. The main lobby level exits to the street, in the center there is a spiral staircase that leads to the former bank vault, and also directly to the river. Turn left on the river and your heading toward the Westin/Homewood and La Vallita.....if turn right your heading right to the other end of the riverwalk by the Omni.

As with all Drury’s, they offer a nice breakfast buffet and also an evening hospitality with food and drinks. On our first morning breakfast only went till 9:30 and it was a bit of a zoo but once we found a table, we were able to get food pretty promptly. The staff kept food replenished till the last minute, and they also came around to the tables and cleared plates. The second morning (New Years day) they kindly kept breakfast going till 11am. Breakfast consisted of (no change between the two days) pancakes, scrambled eggs, breads, donughts, yogurt, oatmeal, juice, tea, coffee. A bit of variety day to day would be nice.

The “5:30 kickback” from 5:30pm to 7pm is a nice touch. Each evening they had soup, a few veggies, plain salad, and dip/dressing, pretzels, popcorn, nachos, baked potatoes, and hot dogs. One evening they had chicken fingers, and the other evening they had meatballs and pasta. They allow three alcoholic drinks per person, but unfortunately, the long lines to get the drinks make this a bit of a bummer.....we did not even partake of the cocktails the second night, only the food...they need a few more bars set up...beyond the two they were operating. We shared a bottle of wine up we got in the hill country on the top deck which was much better than those offerings.

The breakfast and kickback are on the second floor overlooking the main lobby. It gets a bit crowded but the service is very good.

The standard rooms are relatively small but comfortable and well laid out King room with a nice work desk, chair, and desk. The desk was okay for a leisure trip, but would be difficult to use on a business trip due to being put in a corner behind a beam. The rooms have nice HDTV’s. The room also had a refrigerator and microwave in the cabinet. The climate control is awesome and the AC blower can be left on for white noise. There is also a ceiling fan. We had no noise from outside and very limited noise from nearby rooms. The rooms were spotless other than dust on the bathroom blinds. The room smelled fresh and had nice pillows. (Both foam and feather). The curtains do an excellent job of blocking out light, and the rooms have a nice city view. (towards the extended city for us...not the tourist heart) The bathroom was nice size, and well appointed with plenty of towels. Housekeeping did forget to replenish our kleenex in the morning but other than that they did a nice job.

Wifi is free and was speedy enough. They also offer free long distance calls, but given most people have cell phones its not a huge benefit. We do not travel with our dog, but it was neat to see that they allow dogs at the hotel...even large ones. (Cool with us, though some people may find this a negative.) The entire hotel is non-smoking.

All of the staff at the Drury Plaza was very welcoming and made for a pleasant stay! It was also a special part of the holidays for us, to get our annual dose of Christmas Lights on the riverwalk.

The area has every type of dining and entertainment option you could ask for all within easy walking distance. We would absolutely recommend this location and would stay here again if the room rate was comparable too to other nearby options. I could see the freebies being a bit thing for families. We liked having the freebies, but would not be the main reason we would choose the hotel.

We have stayed at a full range of 3.5 – 4.5 star hotels in the area, and this one is very well done. All of these are very nice options and similar in their offerings and the prices seem to vary wildly from day to day. Due to our corporate rate we have made reservations at this location for two weekends next year with friends.

Overall the hotel does an excellent job and we would not hesitate to stay here. The only thing that would make the offering better would be a more effective way to get your kickback drinks!

Room Tip: High Floors away from the elevator will be quietest.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pcsanity
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Spent Christmas Eve here. It was great! The staff was very nice. The room was super nice and clean. There is direct access to the river walk which is why we picked it. The hotel is beautiful!The happy hour and the hot cooked breakfast was awesome. We had a great time and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Laura M
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Checked in New Year's Eve. Requested a room with a view of Hemisfair Park to see the New Year festivities (just incase weather kept us indoors). The Hostess put us in a room on the 20th floor with a straight on view of the "Tower of the Americas" and a commanding view of the park. Room was large with 2 queen beds, clean and up to date. The afternoon kickback was great; hot dogs, pasta, meatballs, baked potatoes, nachos and 3 adult beverages for each adult guest. Breakfast was good; scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy, sausage, pancakes, muffins, bagels, donuts, etc. Beautiful lobby, professional, competent, friendly staff, clean, up to date rooms and fantastic location on the River Walk make this one of my favorite hotels. We have always had a good experience at this hotel. Waiting for the elevator can take some time, waiting for the valet to bring your car may take some time as well, especially at 11AM when everyone is checking out. By the way, it is a pet friendly hotel. I would definately recommend this hotel for any occasion.

Room Tip: Request a room in the main tower to avoid changing elevators to get to your room.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I have never been one to write a review but I recently stayed at this hotel and the last week I was there I had a very terrible experience!!! I just can't seem to get it out of my mind, so I figured I should write a review about it to get my voice heard. I had been staying at the hotel for a week every month for a couple of months on business, taking my vehicle and parking it in valet each time. The last week of my stay I decided to take my husbands car, I dropped it off with valet as usual and planned on taking it out only for my long drive back home. I ALWAYS tipped the valet way more than I should have because I figured they would keep an eye out on my car. NOT THE CASE!!!! Out of the norm, I needed to go somewhere the night before I left so I went down to valet to get my car. Immediately when the guys saw me I could tell something was wrong. They told me that they broke my window . I was upset for two reasons, one my window was broken and two THEY NEVER TOLD ME ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!! they said that they rolled my PASSENGER window down the NIGHT I DROPPED IT OFF WHEN I CHECKED IN and it came off the track!!!!! Now, of course the window is fixable so I can get over that but I just couldn't understand why my car was wide open for 3 DAYS.....3 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and not once did I hear about it. I felt more betrayed then anything! I had no clue if my husband had anything valuable in his car and if he did it was long gone.

Anyways, it gets worse, so of course I asked to speak to the manager. I work in customer service so I tried to keep my cool because I have learned over time that yelling and screaming gets you nowhere. But of course I needed to speak with him about the situation A.) THEY BROKE MY WINDOW, B.) THE VALET GUYS ARE SAYING IT'S MY RESPONSIBILITY, C.) IT WAS POURING DOWN RAIN AND THUNDERSTORMING FOR DAYS SO HOW WAS I GOING TO SAFELY DRIVE BACK HOME THE NEXT DAY (IT WAS A 3 1/2 HOUR DRIVE BTW) D.) MY WINDOW WAS DOWN FOR THREE DAYS!!!!! THREE DAYS!!!!!!!!!! AND NOT ONCE DID I KNOW ABOUT IT. what were they going to do if I had come down in the morning to go to my work meeting and then drive home from there? I would have no way to get to my meeting (other than of course paying for a cab but out of my pocket, and paying for another day of valet!) because of the crazy storm without damaging my car even worse.

Well long story short, management did nothing for me, they told me that the valet guys said that I said the window was broken before so it was my fault!!! They wouldn't pay to fix it, they wouldn't offer me a cab to my meeting in the morning, they didn't even offer a discount off of my stay or anything!!!!! Honestly, in the end all I was looking for was some compassion and I didn't recieve that.

yes, I was livid that my window was broken and now I had to pay to get it fixed ($300) or try to sue the hotel to fix it, but that is a whole other story. But I am writing this review to let you guys know that they had no compassion or empathy for the situation that THEY put me in. If they had told me about the window being broken the night it happened I could have had time to get it fixed and not miss a day of work having to stay longer than expected to fix my window.

I AM UPSET BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T TELL ME ABOUT IT AND WEREN'T PLANNING ON TELLING ME ABOUT IT UNTIL I WAS CHECKING OUT AND MANAGEMENT WOULDN'T EVEN OFFER ANYTHING TO COMPENSATE THAT.

I will never again stay at that hotel due to the fact that they did not tell me that something went wrong, I hope you take this review in consideration

I also want to throw in that I talked to two managers, one was the night manager, he was saying that he wanted to help but said I had to work with the assistant in the morning to resolve the issue. the assistant manager at the front desk (a young woman, dark hair mid to upper twenties) was the rudest employee at the hotel. she did not want to even hear my side. She came out said they can't help me and that was that. SO RUDE!

Room Tip: at any hotel you should ask for a room away from the elevator, pool and ice machine if you want peac...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
7  Thank princessboxcutter

First and foremost, thank you for your business. We greatly appreciate the time you stayed with us. We sincerely apologize for the incident that happened to you and the lateness of responding on all fronts. We strive to correct each issues as soon as possible to the best of our abilities. Our team takes all issues very seriously , especially damage to a guest property. This sounds if we have a training issue we need to fix. Your feedback will help us become a better staff to serve you and all future guests. Again we sincerely apologize and we hope you do give us another chance to show you our best service.

James Robbins