“Good Pig”

Ranked #195 of 4,986 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Takeout
Description: Augie's Barbed Wire Smokehouse has the best BBQ in San Antonio. Live bands perform on weekends. Great indoor and outdoor seating very relaxed atmosphere. Located next to Sunken Gardens and San Antonio Zoo. A wine cigar bar will be opening soon with a large selection of wines.
Reviewed October 29, 2017 via mobile

This is a good place. When we walked in, we were greeted by a young man behind the counter (sorry I did not get his name) he had whiskers. He asked if he could help me, and I asked if the brisket was any good. His response was that it was terrible (with a smile), and offered a sample. While I was trying my sample and trying to save some for my bride, he also provided a sample of pulled pork - both were very good. Friendly staff throughout the place.

I decided on the brisket plate, she went with the pulled pork plate - we both had sweet potato, I had the creamed corn she chose the coleslaw the sides were good. We both were of the opinion that the meats were flavorful, but just a little on the tough side. The spicy sauce was a good addition to the meal.

We both had water, and I ordered an IPA. When asked if I wanted a small or large draft, I chose the large. Note to self: if offered a large, it is important to know how large is large. The glass they brought me was huge - likely 24 ounces or more! 16 ounces would have been plenty.

Reviewed October 16, 2017 via mobile

Hubby and I ate here for lunch and were wonderfully surprised!!!! Just the smoked meat aroma emanating from this place had us drooling. I had the chopped brisket sandwich which was amazing!!!! Super loaded with delicious brisket.... mmmmmmmm.... huge!!!! Could only eat half! Had a side of pork ribs... so tender and flavorful!!!! Cooked to perfection! Hubby had the brisket plate and was in heaven. Their bbq sauce was spot on as well! To top it all off... ice cold Shiner Bock on draft!!!!! We will definitely be going back!!! They also offer a military discount which is always a bonus!

Reviewed October 2, 2017 via mobile

We were put onto this place by the tour guide and went later for dinner as it was minutes from our hotel. It was emptyish but a few locals came in while we were eating. You order like a production line unless you want a burger then you have to wait for it to be cooked. I had the brisket and it was devine it came with sides so I had mashed potato and ma and cheese and they were lovely too. Mr had a burger and said it was one of the best if not the best he had tasted. Being from the uk, BBQ is not a big thing so I don't know how it measures by American standards but it gets a big thumbs up from us and the tour bus driver!

Reviewed September 23, 2017 via mobile

We stopped here for some BBQ after visiting the Zoo, it's right around the corner from there. I was hesitant with the line out the door, but it moved quickly and it was worth the wait. My fiance and I had pulled pork and jalapeño sausage- very good! Go for the sausage if you want something with a kick. Nice beer selection and even nicer staff. They were attentive, polite and very friendly. Definitely worth stopping in for some good BBQ.

Reviewed July 30, 2017 via mobile

Our Uber driver recommended this place, and we are so glad we listened! Great smoke flavor and yummy BBQ sauce! The pork ribs and brisket were great. You order the preprepared food at the window, pay there, and take it to the table yourself. But, it's worth it!