“Worth the trip”

Ranked #174 of 4,800 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Description: Augie's Barbed Wire Smokehouse has the best BBQ in San Antonio. Live bands perform on weekends. Great indoor and outdoor seating very relaxed atmosphere. Located next to Sunken Gardens and San Antonio Zoo. A wine cigar bar will be opening soon with a large selection of wines.
Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

So we took a taxi here after searching for awesome Texan bar b q. This place didnt disappoint with ribs, pulled pork, brisket, mac & cheese or green beans! All were yummy! The pecan pie was just ok-that's why only 4 stars. You order at counter, as mentioned, pay, take your food to a table. We ate outside, up on the deck. Would def come back again.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

You order at the counter and sit down after. My husband and I shared the two-meat combo for a quick lunch after the zoo. We chose pulled pork and brisket, but unfortunately the brisket was sliced wrong. I think the guy cutting the meat was new. Otherwise it was very smoky and flavorful. The sides were good too.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

As with most BBQ joints, nothing fancy. Small, with limited indoor dining, but larger outdoor dining area in the back was upraded a few years back with a roof and concrete pavers. It used to be dirt floor with no roof, whcih was brutal in the summer sun. The focus is on the BBQ. Stand in line, order your plate, pay, find a place to sit and start eating! As often as I come they are pretty consistent about turning out good food. The sides are good, not great. Since I've been coming here monthly for over 10 years I've had pretty much everything on the menu, and I've only had a few times where maybe the brisket was not as tender, or the chicken a little dry. I've been to most every BBQ place I could find in San Antonio and Augie's is a favorite to me and others I've brought here over the years. When I need my BBQ fix, this is where I go.

1  Thank Grant H
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Yes, it's a shack...and yes it is a bit cramped inside, but that only adds to the atmosphere. We have tried so many barbecue joints in and around San Antonio, and we haven't found one that can measure up to Augie's. The brisket is melt-in-the-mouth goodness and even their burgers beat the opposition for flavour. Someone said that their sides were disappointing...I just can't believe that. Their honeyed baked beans and their potato salad are superb. With views over Brackenridge Park and the little train which runs every 20 minutes, as well as the zoo and the Japanese Tea Gardens just up the road, it is the perfect place for families to visit.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

You will love the rustic character of this restaurant and its location across from Breckenridge Park and just west of Sunken Gardens and the Zoo. It represents the quintessential smoke house to me when I picture an old established BBQ shack, though it is a bit nicer than a shack. Seating consists of some tiny tables indoors with picture windows looking across the road at an open field, or picnic tables next to the parking lot. Ordering your food is cafeteria style for the BBQ.

When the place was Augie's by the Park, it used to be entertaining to come, buy a pitcher of beer to go with your burger, and watch the low riders parade up and down the street in front of Augie's on a Sunday afternoon. Showing off an undulating Cheby convertible and flirting with the opposite sex reminded one of a modern day version of a Spanish paseo or stroll around the zocalo in courtship ritual.

The BBQ itself is average to good. It definitely beats Bill Miller but pales in comparison to some of the temples of smoked meat in the Lockhart area such as Kreuz's, Black's, etc. If you are craving BBQ after a visit to the zoo or park, this is a good choice. The sides of beans, mac n' cheese, etc. are acceptable basic versions of the dishes as well.