“Bring Your Bug Spray”

Ranked #161 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
CA
“Bring Your Bug Spray”
Reviewed August 2, 2008

Within three minutes of being in the room, I found three silverfish in the bed. Granted, these aren't the nightmare that real bed bugs are, but I'd rather not have any bugs in my bed. We were on the first floor and the gaps under the doors are pretty large, so that probably explains how these bugs get around this hotel.

Otherwise, the hotel was good for a night, but I don't think it offered the level of luxury that previous reviews imply. Besides the bug issue, we found it annoying that our room only had one trashcan. This meant a constant back and forth between the bathroom and the "living" area. The gap under the door also meant that some hallway noise came in, but not as much as I would have expected based on the size of the gap.

There are a lot of restaurants and some shopping nearby. Whatever you do, don't go to the Golden Corral. It made me doubt that a Texas Department of Health even exists.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Bugs
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelingPhD
Gilbert C, Front Office Manager at Hotel San Antonio I-10 Northwest, responded to this review, January 13, 2015
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you and hope to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Milwaukee
Reviewed March 13, 2008

My husband and I took advantage of a Last Minute Vacation package offered by one of the airlines. We had several hotels to choose from and I did lots of studying on Tripadvisor before selecting this hotel.

The location was close to the freeway and convenient to get just about anywhere. The freeway system in San Antonio is unique with loops all around the city. The hotel was not near downtown but it was only a 15 minute ride to downtown and we didn't have to pay any additional fee for parking.

The room was in good condition and most importantly, it was quiet! The bed was big and comfy with your choice of pillows. The room had a small refrigerator with a freezer compartment but be forwarned, the freezer doesn't really work. We bought some small pints of ice cream and put it in there and by the next day, they were both mush. The bathoom was a good size with a cute little space to put your things. I wasn't crazy about the shower head but overall, the shower was fine.

They do have a small business center with a single computer. You may have to wait to get to the computer.

They boast about a great breakfast and I must say, that was probably the biggest disappointment. While I was glad they provided breakfast, their advertising leads you to believe you will get something like they offer at Embassy Suites with omelets to order. Well, it's not. You do get preformed egg patties with bacon and/or sausage and all the continental type offerings. I didn't go hungry but I was left drooling over the possibility of an omelet!

Overall, we were pleased with the hotel and wouldn't hesitate staying there again if we ever return to San Antonio.

• Liked — Location and it was quiet!
  • Disliked — No made to order breakfast
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank espj
Toronto
Reviewed March 4, 2008

I booked this hotel based on TripAdvisor reviews and was glad I did. As others have noted, the hotel is new, upscale for HIX, has modern, comfortable, large and quiet rooms, a large breakfast area and a private business center with internet access. The staff was polite and efficient.

Lots of restaurants and food stores are within a couple of minutes drive and there is easy access to the expressway.

For well under $100 in San Antonio this was excellent value.

• Liked — Large quiet room with excellent bed and TV
  • Disliked — No conerns
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank liplord
Austin, Texas
Reviewed November 7, 2007

We stayed here the 3rd weekend of October. The price was right at $100 a night and we were intrigued by the great reviews. I agree with the other reviewers. This is a nice hotel and a great deal in San Antonio for the price and the level of quality.

LOCATION: It is off I-10 in the Northwest just slightly south of Loop 1604. I agree with others that it is a little tricky to find coming (especially coming from the north side of I-10). Woodstone Drive comes out of nowhere and it is easy to miss the road to the hotel (look for a sign saying Woodstone Rd to the right). The area around there is very nice. There is a shopping center only 1 mile away that is very nice and upscale. It is convenient to La Canterra and Fiesta Texas. It is about 30 minutes to the Riverwalk with light traffic.

THE HOTEL: It is very clean and new. There seems to be plenty of parking and the grounds are well kept. The pool is small but very new and well taken care of.

SERVICE: Check-in was easy. The hotel manager showed us the cookies and it only took 5 minutes. When we asked him how to get to La Cantera shopping center, he told us if we got lost to call the hotel and ask for him and he would help get us where we needed to go. I was impressed for the level of service for a mid-range hotel. The free breakfast includes: bagels, toast, Leggo waffles, fruits and pastries. They were good. I wish they would add eggs and bacon but I can't complain otherwise.

THE ROOM: The rooms come with at least 4 pillows. 2 hard and 2 soft. The bed is comfortable and actually rather nice for a hotel bed. They have a 32" TV set inside an armoire. I was impressed by the armoire, it was made of a nice cherry wood and seemed like something you would see in a more expensive hotel than Holiday Inn Express. There is a fridge and a microwave in the room. The room is larger than I expected. It feels more like a Hilton or Marriot room than a Holiday Inn. The bathroom was nice and roomier than I expected. It has a granite/silestone counter and a shelf next to the sink for storing bathroom items. That was a nice touch. There is no vent in the bathroom so it will get steamy and humid after a shower.

Overall this is a good hotel. It feels more expensive than it is and if this is the new face of Holiday Inn Express, then I am very impressed. I would definitely stay here again and I would recommend it for both vacation and business travelers.

• Liked — Comfortable beds and niceness of the hotel in general
  • Disliked — Hard to find location
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank Dustinmc24
San Antonio
Reviewed September 27, 2007

This hotel must be new because everything about this HI Express feels
upscale. As I walked in, I noticed that a technician was setting up a
few security cameras at the entrance. The hotel is in a great location but seeing something like that just made me feel even more secure. Check-in was fast and easy. Both desk clerks were very, very friendly. They were even nice enough to point out their free cookie bin directly behind me.

My room was on the third floor. As I walked down the hall, I felt like I was in a Crowne Plaza rather than an Express. Beautiful, inviting decor can be found throughout the hotel. The room was large,
giving me plenty of space to relax and work. I am a Priority Club Platinum Member and I was pleasantly surprised to see many little snacks, a bottle of water, and a Welcome Letter from the Manager on my desk. Also, as I walked in, I noticed that the TV was left on to the TV Guide Channel so I could find something when I arrived! What a nice touch!

The bed was extremely comfortable, with mounds of pillows. The bathroom was spotless and appointed with plenty of towels. There is a
stucco-type finish to the entire room, which makes it look extra nice. The room came with a mini-fridge, microwave, and wetbar. If you
check your cabinets, you can find a Tupperware bowl, a can opener, a pot holder, paper plates, and individually-wrapped plastic utensils.

For only $100 a night, I consider this hotel a gem, a steal, and every positive word your brain can muster. The little touches in the room make you feel like you are getting true value. Everything about the hotel is inviting and welcoming. It just feels like home! I will be sending an email to the Manager, describing my wonderful experience here.

If you need a quality, reasonably priced hotel that is only a few miles down the highway from Fiesta Texas, don't you dare pass this one up!

• Liked — Overall attention to detail.
  • Disliked — Having to leave this great place!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
5 Thank Danpod
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 19, 2007

I stayed at this hotel for one night after a business meeting ran late and I decided to stay over in San Antonio.

Upon driving up to the hotel you could tell it was very new. The inside of the hotel was just as new looking. Lobby was nice and bright. They had a typical small but clean exercise room as well as the typical lobby / breakfast area.

My room was a nice King room with microwave and fridge. Very comfortable bed, curtains block out ambient light very well. When I went down to ask for some shaving cream the provided me with two trial size cans cans. Lobby had cookies in the evening.

The breakfast was typical Holiday Inn Express fare with cold hard boilde eggs, pastries, toaster french toast, muffins, cereals, juice, milk. As with many other Holiday Inn Expresses, I would like to see a hot option of some kind of egg or meat.

They have a small business center downstairs with printer and PC. High Speed Internet connection was nice. Pool was typical for a Holiday Inn Express.

I will definately stay here again when the need arises in the area.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
7 Thank pcsanity
Langhorne, PA
Reviewed September 6, 2007

I recently had the opportunity to visit this hotel for a one night stay, while traveling on business. I did arrive late and didn't use many amenities like the pool, but what I saw I liked quite a bit.

This hotel is very nice inside. I was pleasantly pleased by the appearance and quality of the furnishings, both in the rooms and common areas; the room's bedding was nice and very comfortable, and the bath linens were luxurious feeling. The staff was very pleasant and hardworking and really, the parts of the hotel I saw were spotless. the room was nice and quiet and everything worked well. I got a room w/ a fridge, microwave, and other mini-kitchen accessories. (I didn't use the majority of what the room or hotel offered unfortunately). i did make extensive use of the free wi-fi for catching up on emails.

Two things to be aware of: the location is very convenient to several major companies, including USAA and Valero, but San Antonio's system of access and feeder roads makes finding the hotel a bit tough. (yes, it was dark and late, so maybe I was just tired).

As well, the HI Express chain's idea of breakfast is lacking, in my opinion. Nothing hot, and a fairly weak selection of fruit, yogurt, baked items, etc. The chain could upgrade this a bit I think; but I wouldn't hold this against the hotel.

If you are in town for a quick trip, or passing through, I'd give it a 10 rating and have no hesitations about it.

• Liked — Beautifully appointed rooms and hotel
  • Disliked — The chain's idea of breakfast.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business