Best Western Garden Inn
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
American Motel(San Antonio)
View Hotel
All reviewsbest westernsfitness roomrooms are cleanexcellent place to stayhot tubbiscuits and gravyyogurtnice hotelrecommend this hotelenjoyed my stayfamily vacationcomfortable bedfitness centermini fridgebooked this hotelhot breakfasteasy access
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Our room was great. Our room was 106. We had a king size bed with a love set and a 42 inch flat screen. There was a coffee pot , mini fridge and microwave in the room. Our bed was very comfortable. The location was close to everything we wanted to see. 2 exits from Natural Caverns (we didn't go this time) and there was lots of other attractions close by. We took a ride up to Canyon City which was quite nice to see as it is a resort area. The hotel is located on I35 N between Shertz and Selma (north east of San Antonio). It's on the way to San Marcos. They also had a free continental breakfast in the lobby. The room was very clean. We would stay there again. We paid $ 62.50 for the night. It was on a Friday. The only thing negative was the parking in front was very limited. Plenty of parking in the back by those rooms. It was quiet and the room clerk was polite. A/C heater was a little noisy. Also had wifi and desk and chair

Room Tip: we has room 106 which was good
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
BWGardenInnSA, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Garden Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

We appreciate the positive review. The hotel does have many amenities. Also, included are a fitness room and a business center. We are about 30 miles from San Marcos, so a perfect day trip for shopping at the Tanger and Prime Outlet malls. There are many parking spaces and a gravel lot for bigger vehicles such as 18 wheelers and large Uhauls. A few rooms have parking in front of their door. Just request and the hotel will accommodate our guests. Also, we will address the A/C heater unit. Thank you for notifying us and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Our first stay at this hotel and it won't be our last. The service was friendly the room was clean. Our bed was comfy and the pillows were fluffy. Our plan is to be in the San Antonio are one a month and this looks like it will be our regular spot. :-D

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank Bekah W

Thank you. Our whole staff is very happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay. The staff now knows they are doing a good job and will strive to do better. We would love to have you as regular guest. Can wait to see us next month.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

After a 15 hour drive this place was just what we needed. They held our room until 1am for us. The hotel was very clean and the bed so so comfortable. I will definitely be a return customer and refer my friends and family there.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
BWGardenInnSA, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Garden Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We just put in new beds and flat screen TV’s. We look forward to seeing you and your friends in the future.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Clean, quiet, no frills. Rooms are a little tight, but the beds are good, lots of hot water. The continental breakfast leaves something to be desired, and it was sometimes very crowded. The wireless internet worked, mostly, but is pretty slow.
Good choice for an inexpensive place to sleep.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Geoff N

Thank you for writing a review. The housekeeping staff does work diligently to make sure all the rooms are clean. The hotel is in a quiet part of San Antonio, so it never gets too noisy. The beds are new they were put in 2012. Our breakfast is something that the hotel keeps trying to improve. The hotel is trying many different options for breakfast to see which combinations yield the best response from guests. Breakfast is at its busiest from 9:10am to 9:30am. 8:30am is a great time to come in for breakfast to beat the rush. Sorry about the internet. Slow is not the usual speed of the internet. If you notified the front desk during your stay the hotel would have called the support number to fix the issue. Thank you for notifying the hotel so we can look into this matter. The hotel appreciates the feedback.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

I first saw this property listed on the San Antonio Airport site with a senior rate of $49. Cool. I looked up this hotel on TripAdvisor and saw it listed as the best value in SA, with a $49 rate. Finally, I checked the hotel's Web site and saw a senior rate of $49.49 for a king non-smoking room. Great! I called the hotel to make the reservation and they quoted me a rate of around $80 for the same room. When I told them the rate advertised on the Web sites, the young lady suggested I book online, as there sometimes were online specials that the hotel doesn't have. Okay, fine. I went back online, selected the $49.49 rate, and completed the reservation, including my credit card number and request to sign me up for the Best Western rewards program. The system responded by telling me these rooms were restricted and to try again. When I tried again, the system no longer showed the $49.49 rate. The senior rate was $76.49.

I called the main Best Western number and the very nice lady told me that the $49.49 rate only shows if the user is trying to book with reward points. I explained that I did not try to use rewards points, because I have none, and that as part of my reservation I selected the option to sign me up for the rewards program. Presumably that option would not be presented to a user who is trying to book using reward points. She quoted me the rate around $80 and suggested I call the hotel directly for the $49.49 rate.

I called the hotel to speak to a manager but was told there was no one there.

Was this a bait and switch? Did someone at the hotel realize after talking to me that they had the wrong rate showing online, and did they change it, making the $49.49 rate unavailable? Obviously I don't know the inner workings of the Best Western system and I don't know what occurred. What I do know Is that I'm not willing to accept a $30+ increase over the published rate. Looking somewhere else and won't waste my time trying to book with this property again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LonghornNancy

I am sorry you feel this way, however this was not a bait and switch. The hotel does have a $49.49 rate for seniors however not during holidays, peak events and the rates do change according to demand. However, the particular day that you tried to make the reservation the Standard King room type was sold out. The hotel is constantly receiving reservations through the front desk, online and fax, so quite often the standard king room sells out due to the great rate. At the front desk and online the rate being quoted was for an Executive King room. The executive rooms are larger, have a great view of the pool, have a microwave, refrigerator, iron/ironing board, hair dryer, coffee maker and a 42” flat screen TV. The third time you called back to speak to the manager no one was available due to the holidays. However, the phone hung up before the hotel had a chance to explain that the next option is two queen beds. The rate is approximately $10 more than a one king bed. Sorry for the inconvenience and time spent trying to get the $49.49 rate. The hotel hopes this explains the rate difference between the standard and executive rooms.