“Lovely stay at Hotel Contessa”
Review of Hotel Contessa

Hotel Contessa
Ranked #5 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 12, 2011

We are from Austin and had some family visiting from out of town. We decided to all go on a weekend trip to San Antonio just for one night to walk around the River Walk and see the Alamo. Some else had picked the hotel- but I was quite pleased with his decision! When we first arrived we had to go a round about way to find the entrance to the Hotel Contessa because of all the one way streets. The valet gave us a ticket and we checked in. The hotel is very nice- it was elegant and inviting. We arrived early, but we were checked in easily and even upgraded. We ran into a man and his dog- turns out Hotel Contessa is very dog friendly. Our room was gorgeous. Essentially each room is a suite, with a nicely appointed living room area and bar, bathroom, and separate bedroom. Our view was overlooking the river- a nice touch. We checked out the rooftop pool- it is not very big and there were a lot of kids splashing about. The fitness room is on the same level- not very big but just right. We did go out to dinner that night and so we called ahead to the valet like the front desk recommended. Unfortunately 10 minutes was not enough time to call ahead and we ended up waiting another 10 minutes downstairs- this resulted in us being late for our dinner reservation. The valet manager was the only one who seemed to be concerned for us, while the actual valets didn't seem to be in a rush or anything. They just stood there and looked at us. This was our main disappointment with Hotel Contessa. We did enjoy a nice brunch the next morning in the restaurant downstairs. They had a nice selection of omelets, pancakes, fruit, oatmeal, etc. We'd love to come back again.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
HCGM, General Manager at Hotel Contessa, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2011

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your accomodations, facilities & our restaurant during your visit. I was concered to hear about the less than satisfactory service from the valet when retrieving your vehicle. I do apologize that you had this experience with the Valet. I have shared your comment with the Valet management.

I apologize again, and do look forward to your return visit.

Wende Blumberg-General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,298)

Reviewed March 10, 2011

We stayed at this hotel from March 3,2011 through March 6,2011. We were in town for our sons BMT graduation from Lackland Air Force Base and drove 21 hours straight to get there. We were in the pool in the evening shortly after we had arrived and some security man told us we couldn't drink a beer in the rooftop area, no problem we packed up and went to our room. We drove 21 hours and were only innocently relaxing and only had a beer a piece to relax with. The only thing he had to say was please dispose of or finish your drink because they are not allowed in the rooftop area. Instead he called down for back up like we were common criminals. We are 52,48,23,and 13 REALLY back-up!! We are very educated well mannered and very quite people who were taking time to unwind from a long trip. He never politely told us it wasn't allowed just rudley called for back up. If it weren't for the gentlemen who parked our car or our maid it would have been a complete bust. For the money you can do better and hospitality any other place can surpass them. I have stayed in better.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family

In reading your review I do appreciate your acknowledgement of the Valet and the housekeeper that serviced your room but I was very concerned in the way you stated you were treated by the employee that addressed you on the rooftop pool. I would like to apologize for his behavior as this is not typically how we treat our guest. You are right, he should have handled the situation in professional manner and not in the way you described. Please accept my aplogies again for this unfortunate experience.

Reviewed March 7, 2011

We stayed at The Hotel Contessa the weekend of March 5-6, 2011. I went with my sister, aunt, and mother-in-law. We had a GREAT time. The hotel was very nice, clean, very well decorated, friendly staff. We all got spa treatments, which are a little overpriced for the service, but that's to be expected I think with in hotel spas. We will probably skip that part next time, or just limit it to a simple massage or pedi and not get the packages. Two of us were thrilled with our services at the spa and the other 2 were very disappointed as it seemed the therapists really didn't know what they were doing. However, when making mention of it to the spa manager, she was very attentive at listening and compensated by giving a discount. So that was great. I would suggest making reservations on their website as they seem to give better prices. But, I did check their website a few days before our arrival and they had dropped their prices even more, so I actually cancelled the previous reservations and re-booked and ended up saving quite a bit of money overall for the rooms. We rented 2 adjoining room for 4 people, and we were very pleased, however we realized we could have managed with just the one room, since all the rooms have a large parlor type living area with a pullout couch. We had city view rooms, and I did get woken up a couple of times from people leaving bars late and trucks, but I was able to go back to sleep. The beds and pillows were very comfy and the room decor was very nice. So, we will definitely do this again but will most likely skip the spa and spend more time on the Las Ramblas patio, or take advantage of the rooftop pool, and get only one room. We were very pleased with the hotel and our trip!!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay. Overall you had a great stay with the exception of the mishap you experienced at the Spa. I am glad it was taken care of and you were happy with the outcome. Without your feedback we cannot continue to make improvements.

We look forward to your return visit.

Sincererly,

Reviewed March 6, 2011

Stayed at Hotel Contessa for business and obtained a discounted rate for about 180 per night (tax and fees included).

Pros: On the Riverwalk, room spacious, and good restaurant in the hotel.

Cons: Beds and pillows were uncomfortable, bed sheets were older, several of the outlets were broken, one of the lamps was missing its light bulb, another lamp had a broken light bulb, and front desk was not very efficient. Try the concierge table--much better. Elevator very slow. Internet was slow. Plus, the access code often did not work so had to ring the front desk for new codes several times.

I only recommend this hotel based on the discounted rate. Else, I recommend another hotel.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
HCGM, General Manager at Hotel Contessa, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2011

I apologize that we did not provide a better experience, we will always strive to do better, and I thank you for the constructive thoughts you have shared on your review. I apologize for the lack of customer service from the front desk and the deficiencies in your guestroom. Rest assured that your review has been shared with Management staff. You mentioned also that you had a poor internet connection, we are currently working on upgrade our band width to enhance the internet connection.

Once again I apologize that we did not provide better service during your stay and thank you for writing the review about your experience.

Reviewed March 4, 2011

I loved the room design: a living room (w/ tv), large connecting area (w/ bar stuff, coffee maker etc) and then separate bedroom (w/ another tv) with its own door. So the bedroom is well removed from the hallway outside the door, and thus is super quiet, and you don't hear guests in the hall. Wonderfully comfy beds, love the pillows. The living room has sofa, armchair, table and chairs, lovely decor and all very comfortable. Wifi worked great (better in the living area). Couldnt hear any street sounds (was on eighth floor) despite overlooking Riverwalk. Staff all very friendly, helpful. Rooms clean. Great location -- only about 2 blocks from convention centre. Great value. I was at a conference and most of my colleagues were staying at places like Marriott, Hilton etc, and I felt sorry for them, because i knew they didnt have as nice a room as I did, and they likely paid a lot more for theirs. A terrific hotel.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business

We appreciate and thank you for taking the time to write all about your wonderful experience while staying at Hotel Contessa. I was impressed with the details you provided from beginning to the end of your stay. We have shared your comment with our staff.

We look forward to having you as guest again in the future.

Reviewed February 24, 2011

I relied on the 4 stars the hotel "has" and the reviews it got on TripAdvisor to make the reservation for a very good friend of mine. When he got the hotel he called to confirm the address, he was so disappointed that we had look for another one at 9 pm. Trust me, for the extra buck you'll find real 4 star hotel.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family

I apologize that we did not provide a better experience, not sure what happened when your friend called the hotel. If you would like to contact us directly to give us more details, please feel free to do so at (210) 229-9222 and ask to be connected to the the General Manager's Office and speak to me or my assistant.

Reviewed February 18, 2011

Hotel front desk was not helpful and did not seem to care. Requested early check-in, and was confirmed we could. We had the most expensive room at the hotel and all they could say was the room was large and it took a while to clean. Three hours, I don't think so. We did not get what they promised and they offered nothing as an apology. Finally we got to the room and was assured the luggage would be 'right up'. Thirty minutes later I returned to the front desk looking for our luggage. No one had a clue about the status of the luggage. I found it in a side room--with no sign of delivery anytime soon. I had to drag it upstairs myself. The only save was the conceirge who assisted.
The hotel was too far from the Riverwalk excitment, I would recommend staying somewhere else, NOT as the Hotel Contessa.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple

I apologize that we did not provide a better experience, we will always strive to do better, and I thank you for the constructive thoughts you have shared on your review. I apologize for the less than satisfactory your recieved from the front desk staff. This is not typically how we treat our guest. Everyone in our hospitality industry desires to provide their guests with a quality product and outstanding service, and reading through your comments I can see why you would be less than happy with your stay.

I understand why you would not desire to return, but if by some chance you do reconsider please contact me personally at the hotel and I will be pleased to make your reservation myself.