“Beautiful hotel, great service!”
Review of Hotel Contessa

Hotel Contessa
Ranked #5 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 15, 2014

We absolutely loved our recent visit to Hotel Contessa. The hotel itself is beautiful and very clean and every person we encountered from the valet guys upon arrival to the front desk staff when leaving were all extremely courteous, helpful, and friendly. We ended up staying downstairs in the beautifully decorated Cork Bar for most of the evening and Yesenia made our night extra special. She made wonderful drinks and was so sweet and attentive. The atmosphere of the hotel is very upscale but comfortable and inviting and every detail throughout this establishment has been well thought out. Rooms are some of the largest I have ever stayed in and are absolutely gorgeous. We have been to San Antonio many times and this is by far our new favorite hotel! Thanks Hotel Contessa for making our stay in San Antonio so great!

• Stayed: March 2014

Reviewed March 15, 2014

I am a native San Antonian who works downtown only a few blocks from the Contessa hotel. Because I manage a large law firm that books hundreds of rooms a year and because I also travel often for work I find myself on the phone with reservation agents more often than I like to admit. The majority of my experiences with reservation agents ranges from cold and disinterested to rude and annoying. Today, I was pleasantly surprised.
I called the reservation toll free number because the online reservation system woul only allow me to book one room at a time. Because I needed three rooms and did not want to spend the next 15 minutes with my single-handed typing entering my address and credit card information three times, I picked up the phone and called. I needed 3 rooms for the last weekend of Fiesta so I can take my 91 year old father, my 86 year old mother and my sister from socal to the Friday morning day parade (Battle of Flowers) and Saturday night parade (Fiesta Flambaeu). Our parade seats are steps away from the entrance to The Contessa.
At the time I called the reservation line, I was already mildly aggravated by the fact that I had issues with the online reservation system. However, my mood was immediately changed when a cheerful voice answered the phone. I told her that I needed 3 rooms with a river view. As she began to look, I requested that she check 3 different discount rates available to me so I could make the most economical choice. She graciously and efficiently checked each rate and provided alternative package suggestions. As she booked the rooms, she made pleasant conversation that kept the whole experience positive. At the end, I asked her name because I wanted others to know what a good job she had done. She told me that her name is Ashley. Although this is the first time I have ever written a Trip Advisor comment, if I run across more people like Ashley, it certainly will not be my last. If nothing else, it will definitely encourage me to stay at The Contessa again.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 15, 2014

We just returned from a family trip to San Antonio. Even before we checked into this hotel, I felt highly favorable toward our choice. First off, we have a family of five. It is virtually impossible to find a hotel that sleeps more than a family of four. Thank you so much to this hotel, and the few others in San Antonio, that accomodate our choice to have such a "large" family!
This two room suite is beautiful! We had a double room and the sitting room has a pull out couch. We opted for a view of the Riverwalk, so paid a little more. You must splurge for the riverwalk view! Many hotels offer a view, but it is nothing spectacular. This view made me feel like a Queen on a commoner's budget. Way to go Contessa for making the average citizen feel like they could get pampered on a vacation too!
The rooftop pool was wonderful. It does not look like anything special, but the area was so comfy and perfect. It was spring break week so it did get a little crowded, but still very fun. We enjoyed the pool during the early afternoon when it was not so busy. A lot of the Texans like to site see during the day and the pool was packed by evening.
My only concern about this hotel was the complete lack of vending. There are no refrigerators in the room so you cannot bring a case of water. In the Texas heat, this is critical. There is a gift shop located in the lobby, but the prices are riduculous! A bottle beverage was $3.00 and they ran out. The bar charged over $5.00 per bottle of water. I ended up walking several blocks on a couple of occassions to get hotel snacks and beverages. Come prepared with a bag of treats for your family so you do not get begged to purchase the $3-$10 snacks they so kindly leave on the counter in your room for purchase.
Not only was the room beautiful and the whole building elegant, it was incredibly kid-friendly and a prime location. It is next to everything! Blocks from the Alamo, right on the riverwalk in a very lovely spot, great food all around, shopping nearby, etc. You would expect such an elegant hotel to turn their noses up at children and families. Not so...all of the guests and staff made you feel like you were meant to be there for a relaxing vacation.
I very rarely go the same place twice, but I will go back to San Antonio and Hotel Contessa for sure!

Room Tip: Riverwalk side for sure!
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Recently visited San Antonio with our kids. The Hotel was VERY nice and clean. The staff was very attentive and friendly and always eager to help. The room was plenty big and very clean. We really enjoyed it and will stay here again for sure on our next visit.

Reviewed March 14, 2014

The hotel employees were all very helpful. The service was above and beyond. They held our bags after check so we could go do more shopping. We were in a group of 7 and not one person had a bad thing to say....Thanks to Sunnie "BIRD" for finding this place. I hope everyone enjoys this place as we did...Also take a left out the back door on the riverwalk to find everything a short 3 min. walk. I would say try a different restaurant that's the only bad thing I will say.

Reviewed March 13, 2014

I have never been so impressed with a hotel as I was with The Hotel Contessa. The staff was attentive to my every need and never forgot my name as I heard all week, good morning Miss Deb, How are you Miss Deb, Thank you Miss Deb, as if I were writing their personal review. And the food, Oh Heaven Help the Dieters who come to this place as you will hate yourselves in the morning. But that is okay because the bed is so comfortable that you won't mind staying in bed all day but if you do you wil miss the atmospher of the River Walk. Then when it was time to go, yes, even I had to leave, the bell men helped me from the elevator to the door, hail the cab, and even broke a 20 for me so I could tip the cabby...and yes I tipped him too. It was a great visit and I look forward to coming back. Thanks Hotel Contessa.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Unfortunately, my husband and I were not too impressed with Contessa. Some things were great and others - well below average.
The location of the hotel is great, right on the Riverwalk. The hotel is going through renovation and is getting fresh paint, etc, which is always a good thing. Our suite was good size overall, but the actual bedroom part of it was rather small for two people. Very tiny closet. The bathroom was spacious enough, but had these very weird double doors that are not easily closed/opened. I did like the living room space, very spacious and pretty. Our coffeemaker was not functioning properly.
The restaurant did not impress us at all. My husband had breakfast there and said the toast was cold, the coffee was bad and the staff could not find a righ-size bowl for his cereal, resulting in my husband eating cereal out of a huge glass bowl. We also went to the bar and had to wait 20 minutes for our beer, which seemed like a very long time for something that simple.
The hotel staff overall seemed very friendly and eager to help.
When we were checking out early in the morning, we wanted to print out boarding passes, which seems like it should be an easy task for a hotel. We went to the business center that was not staffed (I am assuming because of the early hour), one of the two computers that were available, had a message that it was "updating" and would not let us do anything on it, while the other computer froze several times while I was trying to use the Airlines website. We went downstairs and told the reception person that the computers were not working. She tried to call the security person, becuase he was "a computer wiz", as she put it. I explaned that we did not have time to wait for the computers to be fixed and asked if she could just print us boarding passes, to which she replied (with huge frustration) that "she was in a middle of audit and couldn't do it". Needless to say, we left without our passes and to me, this is something completely unacceptable for a hotel that tries to appear professional and accomodating.
I did not leave with a good feeling and do not think we will be back.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DashkaC
GM_Contessa, General Manager at Hotel Contessa, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Dear DashkaC,

Thank you for providing us with valuable feedback on your recent stay at Hotel Contessa. Our team was very dissappointed to learn that we did not meet your expectations during your stay with us. I can assure you that your experience, while disappointing, is not consistent with the level of service that we have become recognized for.

We sincerely appreciate your comments and we hope to have the opportunity to restore your confidence in our hotel sometime in the not too distant future.

Les Utley