“Very good choice on the Riverwalk”
Review of Hotel Contessa

Hotel Contessa
Ranked #11 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Corpus Christi, Texas
“Very good choice on the Riverwalk”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

We booked this hotel with one of the “opaque” hotel sites which doesn’t tell you the name of the hotel until after purchase. We were very happy with our luck. The Hotel is very nice and the rooms are actually suites with a separate living and sleeping area.

The location on the Riverwalk is perfect -- just a few bends away from the action -- so everything is a short but pleasant walk away.

San Antonio is a convention mecca. This might be an ideal hotel if you are attending one of the many conferences. As the rooms are set up as suites this might be ideal if you need to interview potential employees while they are attending your industry trade show.

I do not know, if the sofa was a sleeper sofa. If so, it might be a great romantic choice with the bedroom remaining private and the kids in the main room.

2 Thank Hans S
GM_Contessa, General Manager at Hotel Contessa, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Dear Hans,
We are glad that you felt lucky to have ended up at Hotel Contessa after booking through one of the "opaque" sites on the web and that you enjoyed your stay with us! Many first-time guests are surprised to learn that we are an all-suite hotel and all appreciate the separate living room and bedroom areas. To your question, yes living room the sofas are all sleeper sofas and Hotel Contessa is a very popular choice for the romantics!
Thank you for the review. We hope that you will return again.
Les Utley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (861)
Texas
Reviewed January 22, 2014

We have stayed at numerous places on the River Walk over the years, but our stay at Hotel Contessa was the absolute BEST so far! Every staff member was friendly and gracious! A special thanks to Kathryn (our concierge) and Eddie G who are both super representatives of the Hotel.We also had a duet massage from the in-house Woodhouse Day Spa, which was well worth the cost. We were looking for a special place to celebrate our 30th Anniversary and stayed at Hotel Contessa 4 nights from Jan. 17 through Jan. 20, 2014. The location was prime for everything we wanted to walk to. We easily walked to the Alamo, HemisFair Park and Needle, Buckhorn Museum, River Center Mall, and all the fabulous restaurants, clubs, and restaurants along the River Walk. Hotel is easy walking distance to Lila Cockrell Theatre as well. Our room was classified as a City View King, but we still had a nice view of the RiverWalk. The all-suite rooms are nice and clean; the lobby bar and restaurant (Las Ramblas) had the Spanish hacienda style and flavor we wanted! We will be back for sure! Dennis & Patricia R.

Room Tip: Plan ahead to get River front rooms (prime location), but even our City View King had a good view of...
2 Thank PR333
Dear PR333,
Thank you for taking time to share such a "Superb" review of Hotel Contessa with the readers of TripAdvisor! With so many choices for hotels on the Riverwalk, our staff always goes the extra mile to take great care of our guests. We believe that this is what truly differentiates us from the others. I appreciate you recognizing Eddie G and Kathryn as super representatives of our hotel. They are shining stars amongst the many stars on our team. We look forward to having you back again sometime in the not too distant future!
Les Utley
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We just had our 40th anniversary here and absolutely loved the place. The staff feel like family and take care of every detail. Valet parking is convenient compared to other places that charge in and out fees. The restaurant is superb, I would say it is one of the best in San Antonio. All of downtown is walking distance, and the setting next to Wedding Island is both romantic and historic. I will be back as many times as I get the opportunity. This is my San Antonio place.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Yodatravel
Granger, Indiana
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Given so much competition and selection throughout the Downtown / Riverwalk area in SA this hotel is an excellent choice and value. All rooms are suites and the staff is truly superb!! The moment you arrive the doorman and check-in staff are quite welcoming. In all honesty, six of us experienced great Margarita's at four (4) establishments, however the 'Perfect' choice (hands-down) is only found at the CORK bar within Hotel Contessa. Great atmosphere, excellent comfort and a wonderful, less congested experience can be found at this hotel.

Also, the proximity to the best restaurants and the King William historic community is outstanding!
My wife, our friends and I experienced a wonderful stay with great camaraderie thanks to a wonderful hotel, it's staff and Management. Ask for 'Richard' at the Las Ramblas and you will understand.

Room Tip: Ask for a River Walk view.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lea P
Austin, Texas
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at The Contessa. Could not have been more pleased. Everything was right here: Amenities, service, location, and a thoughtful, friendly staff. Try it and see for yourself.

Room Tip: We were in a corner room with a river view on the third floor. Quite nice.
2 Thank akagg
Berea, Kentucky
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I have absolutely nothing but positive things to say. I would rate Hotel Contessa six stars if tripadvisor would let me. The staff was great, the rooms were as good as any I have ever stayed in, and I passed out asleep as soon as I put my head on the pillow (very comfy bed). All aspects of my stay were awesome. I think this may be the first time I've ever left a review for any trip. I usually just don't bother with it. I just got back from my conference trip and am entering my thoughts right away. When I was checking in, the nice lady working at the desk told me that a large number of families would be in on Friday night for a high school girls' volleyball tournament and our entire floor was pretty much reserved for them. She said they would move me to another room if I had any worries, even if it was on Friday (my last night). How wonderful is that? I guess the volleyball kids and families were there. I saw a lot of them in the lobby on Friday night waiting for their rides to the tournaments. There was a lot of pep being shown by them and their families. I never noticed one little peep when I was in my room, however. The rooms are so comfy, nice, and quiet, it felt like I was totally isolated (in a good way).

This is a great hotel. There's nothing left to say. It was beyond a good deal. I went to San Antonio for a conference and I spent a lot of time looking at all the lists of hotels trying to find the best deal (not necessarily the absolute cheapest). I'll never waste my time before going to SA again. I know where I'll be staying. Thanks to Les and all the crew. Top-notch in every way!

Room Tip: The king room suite with the sleeper sofa in the living room was like staying in a two-bedroom apart...
Green Features: Reusable towel policy. There was a good thermostat that actually let me control the temperature in the room. Definitely allowed me to stay comfy without wasting a lot of energy.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Scott T
Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I stayed here for one night for a conference and did not want to leave. The staff made me feel as though I were a VIP! It's a beautiful hotel on a very pretty and convenient location on the river. From check-in to check out, it was an amazing stay! The Woodhouse Day Spa on the 12th floor was icing on the cake and squeezed me in for a massage with short notice! I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: My corner suite in the 11th floor offered river views from both windows!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business