“Loved the Contessa!”

Hotel Contessa
Ranked #8 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 28, 2008

I stayed at The Hotel Contessa for a conference. The staff was great and the hotel decor is beautiful and relaxing. The suites were a nice size and the bathroom was large. The Hotel Contessa is conveniently located on the Riverwalk. I would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Hotel Contessa

Reviewed July 28, 2008

this hotel is too expensive and if you have a problem- dont call the manager because it wont do any good. parking is a nightmare. parking valet stole cash out of our car then charged us $25/night to park our car.

Reviewed July 26, 2008

Hotel is right on the Riverwalk, and walking distance to a lot of attractions.
As far as the staff goes, the doorman, bellhop and car attendants were GREAT. The desk clerk left a lot to be desired, but this should not have been a surprise to me! I made my reservations online, then read a review on here that made me call to verify my reservations. Sure enough, they did not have my reservation! This was several days after my online reservation was made. So I made them over the phone, and the desk clerck that I spoke with seemed like I was interrupting somethat that she was doing!!!
The hotel itself was very nice (my kids 17,14, 11 called it "high class" as we entered). The room (suite) was nice and large enough for all 5 of us. But I do NOT understand why internet connection is not free...$10 per day!!??!!?? The hotel resturant was on the expensive side, but there are plenty of places to dine on and nearby (Casa Rio = on the riverwalk dinning, G/M Steakhouse = breakfast (across from the Alamo).

All in all, not a bad stay!

Reviewed July 24, 2008

I booked this hotel with excitement and from the pictures on the internet it was not decieving at all. We arrived hoping to have a room ready however no rooms were ready at the time. The front desk agent said that they were working on our room after 2 hours of waiting a room was finally ready. Not a good start to our much needed vacation. The hotel is in a nice location and I was ready to get out on to the riverwalk. As I was heading up to our room I noticed why maybe our room was taking long there was a housekeeper walking in the hallway using her cell phone and talking really loud. Where are her supervisors???? Anyway we entered the room and it has a spacious living area and a good size bathroom. I noticed dust everywhere in the bedroom. I went out to retrive the housekeeper that was talking on the phone and she appologized and did come back to re dust the room. Not impressed with housekeeping at all. The doorman however we very friendly they gave us good directions on where we needed to go. We ordered room service the food was good but slow and they never came for the tray it sat outside the hallway for a long time. All in all a nice stay but needs improvement in some areas.

Reviewed July 23, 2008

We had never heard of the Hotel Contessa before when we were pleasantly surprised with our booking through Hotwire. Upon arrival, we were blown away by how friendly the entire staff was. From the valet guy to the man checking us in, to the bell person that took our bags up to our room, and everyone in between, I told my husband that I would most definantly stay at this hotel again just because of how incredibly helpful and friendly the staff was. Also, we loved the rooms...they were beautiful! It was the perfect size for our family of 5 (three small children). My husband took the kids to the pool and loved it as well. We will be back to stay again at the Hotel Contessa. Truly one of my favorite hotel stays ever. Very authentic and very San Antonio.

Reviewed July 12, 2008

This was my second stay at the hotel, the first time for business and this time for pleasure. I had booked a room with a view for fireworks and called the front desk and spoke to a sweet lady that told me the room I needed was a city view to see the fireworks off the riverwalk. When I arrived, the hotel told me there was not any fireworks any where near the hotel/riverwalk. Strange, I would have stayed somewhere else (my friend was staying at the Lacantera where 6 flags had a big show). Next we stayed 5 days and got our room cleaned once, the oddest thing was that the maids had come by once cause they ahd replaced the $5.00 FIJI water we had drank but the beds and room were a mess and no new towels etc, I mentioned to the desk and no one came. I let this go 3 days kind of getting curious when they do come, was the hotel 'going green' and they only clean when you check out? On the 4th day after my sons had taken towels off the maid cart on the floor, they cleaned. Other than that, the restaurant downstairs was the bomb, we ate there everyday, the buffet was good and we could sit outside. The general population of the hotel was a clean group, not an overabundance of families like the Hill Country Hyatt but a mix and every ride in the elevator, lounge, was very pleasant. I used the spa twice, Denise and Melissa were great. I would stay again just think the hotel is growing and learning along the way.

Reviewed July 9, 2008

I travel often, having stayed at such up scale hotels like The Drake, The Ritz, Four Season's and some dumps like Extended Stays, Red Roof etc.... so I have a pretty good perspective on hotels.

I am 31 my wife is 27.

I was in San Antonio for business and choose the Hotel Contessa because I wanted a nice hotel, my wife was coming with me so I wanted something closer to the Ritz quality which this hotel looked like..... we got the hotel about noon and they let us check in as soon as we arrived (4 hours early), the bellhop was very nice and gave us all sorts of info about the area. The room was nice, a 2-room suite but the bedroom is on the smaller side, the living room was well furnished but unless you are spending a lot of time in the hotel room this room is pretty much useless. They could have easily made it one big room. The bathroom was nice and the shower had tons of shelving space. The Hotel is right on the Riverwalk but about 5-10 minutes away from the nearest non-hotel restaurant and a 15-20 walk to the center of the Riverwalk action. The hotel location is good in some aspect because it is quite and if you don't mind walking a little then the location is fine. But in the summer heat and humidity a 15-20 minute walk can get draining and you will sweat a lot so be aware of the clothes you wear.

The bad about the hotel is housekeeping, or lack there of. I have never seen anything like it, we were there 4 nights and only had our room cleaned once! The first day we were gone from about 8am until 3pm, when we returned the room wasn't cleaned, I called the front desk and was told housekeeping has until 5:30 to clean the rooms, this is appalling, a $300+ per night room can't get rooms serviced by noon – WOW!??? Our room was serviced about an hour later. The next day the same thing, we returned at 2pm to a uncleaned room, we left at 3pm when we got back at 7 the room was never cleaned! I called and they sent up new towels, on our third and last full day it was the same thing, never cleaned. I called that night and spoke to the manager on duty who apologized and offered to come up and clean it herself, she said they are at hotel capacity and struggling to keep up with housekeeping, she was nice about it and I explained to her the capacity issue they are having is not my problem, my problem is a uncleaned room again she was apologetic.

Overall the all the staff I dealt with was nice, even the housekeeper who cleaned our room that one time was very nice (and very cute, 20-something) but if I ever returned to San Antonio I wouldn't stay here again unless the rates were in the $100-$175 per night range. There are way too many better hotels on the up the Riverwalk that are better and cheaper. Overall I have had better stays are middle of the road hotels like the Holiday Inn, Best Western type places. The Hotel Contessa’s website is not an indication of how nice the hotel is, I suggest looking elsewhere and if all things are equal stay someplace else.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business