“Best Customer Service”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Tucson, Arizona
“Best Customer Service”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I was with a group of 40 Business Professionals and we had the pleasure of staying at the Hotel Contessa for a recent trip to San Antonio. We were immediately impressed. As our group came in the door, they front desk added more people to check us in. This allowed our entire group to check in at a very convenient pace and get settled into our rooms. We were going on a group trip by bus on one morning and we asked if there was anywhere we could get some bottled water for our trip. Mairvel and Mando both were able to get us a cooler and iced down bottled water for our trip! It is small things like this that will have me to continue to recommend this hotel to all of my fellow business travelers.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank workforfun699

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (893)
Laredo, Texas
Reviewed May 21, 2013

This hotel was great from booking to checkout. Normally I book under sites like Priceline or Hotwire to get great hotel deals that are in the vicinity of where I want to be, but this time I was more concerned about exact location than price. This hotel is centrally located right on the riverwalk and they offered a government rate that is actually a government rate. Those who look for hotels with gov't rates will know that often times hotels charge MORE or virtually the same price for a gov't rate. In this case it was a $64 savings!

Check in was fast and went smoothly. Because this is a downtown hotel, there is no free parking, which I was well aware of and expected to just pay for valet service. The valet explained that they would be happy to valet our car for $30/night or we could just park the car ourselves for only $15/night at the same garage across the street that they use. I'm used to almost being bullied by valets, so this was really nice that they told us our options so we could save $. We chose to valet the car anyway, and I would recommend this, as there is still quite a walk from the garage back to the hotel.

We had a city view room, which actually overlooked some of the riverwalk as well, and it was very comfortable and clean. All the rooms are suites, so it was very spacious. The bed and its coverings were very comfortable. The only downside would be the bathroom tub/shower area. The tub/shower combo did seem a bit on the older side, and the faucet/shower head could definitely use updating. The tiling looked newer, but I noticed poor workmanship. That's really the only negative I have about the room.

The pool/jacuzzi is on the top floor and is outdoors, but with walls and windows surrounding it. You get very pretty views of the city, the night views especially. I came here later at night and in the earlier morning hours and it was fairly quiet and peaceful. The pool is a smaller pool without a deep end and the jacuzzi was nice and was the perfect jacuzzi temp. I didn't use the weight room, but it looked like it had a decent assortment of equipment.

We did use the Cork Bar during the later happy hour from 10-11pm and were satisfied with our drinks. It has a loungy feel to it, with lots of couches and chairs and places to just relax. The Cork Bar area is where the Riverwalk exit/entrance is located. You can walk out and have all the amenities of the Riverwalk right within short walking distance - lots of restaurants, bars and shops.

The best part of this hotel is the staff. They were exceptional, from the bell boys to the maids and everyone in between. Anytime we passed by staff we were asked if we were enjoying our stay and if there was anything we needed. We were asked that by the guy in the elevator who was delivering room service, as well as the maid we passed, the valet, bell hops, etc.

3 Thank luvabargain
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 20, 2013

On a visit ealier this month, I found this hotel very comfortable, relaxing and unpretentious, the staff knowledgeable and respectfull to all the guests...even a small child, I witnessed, on her way to the rooftop pool. The location was pretty amazing as well. The one thing I will always remember is there are some places that if they serve "pepsi", you can can not find a "coke" anywhere and vice-versa. Heck, there are even fast food places that will refuse to take an empty container for trash if it is a beverage they do no serve....anyways, not here. If you ask, you will receive. Can anyone say Pepsi please. Funny how something so insignificant can remain with you. I will be back. In the meantime, I'll be letting my friends know..

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Jax4409
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed May 18, 2013

There is a bellman by the name of Eddie. Not only handled our luggage, but we felt his handling of us personally was excellent! Seemed extra knowledgeable of hotel and surrounding areas. The stay in the presidential...excellent! We attempted to re-book but others must know of this hidden treasure as well. Added a connecting room (regular suite)...but the way it all flowed together allowed our accommodations to be MORE than we expected. Have decided that all of our VIPs deserve this sort of attention and will plan well in advance to ensure the presidential suite is available!

Room Tip: Most like the river view side...but really the city views are not bad...perhaps high floors are more...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank R Lee T
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We were traveling with our grandchildren and had a wonderful room and the service was great. The kids really loved the roof top pool and we all enjoyed being on the Riverwalk and went out daily for walks along the river.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank hpp123456
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Room temperature would go form warm to cool every 30 minutes making it hard to stay asleep.

At checkout I paid for parking on my bill ($32.00).
When I reviewed my account I was charged $39.27.
I called the hotel and they told that was an error in should have been $35.73 for adding a fee of $3.73.
I now have both $39.27 and $37.73 on my statement.

Room Tip: Stay on lower floors
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Crystal B, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Contessa, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear Stan S,

We are terribly sorry to hear about your billing issues from your recent stay at Hotel Contessa. It would be my pleasure to ensure this gets taken care of appropriately. Please feel free to reach out to me at your convenience.

My direct line, 210-298-8059

Best Regards,
Crystal
Austin, Texas, United States
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We purchased the Texas resident package which included valet parking and breakfast. Hotel was nice, clean, and comfortable. The location was great too. The room was a "city view" but we had a little river view too. The breakfast buffet was good as well. We had a small problem because we were there over Mother's day weekend and they were having a special brunch which meant that the buffet (which was what was included in our package) was scheduled to end at 8am, but we spoke with Eddie who quickly resolved the issue for us by offering us room service for our buffet vouchers. We interacted with Eddie on several occasions and he was always pleasant and helpful. Also, George O., our server in the restaurant was great, very friendly and attentive even though it was a buffet. The rooftop pool and hot tub were very nice and having a bar available there was convenient. Overall, it was a pleasant stay. I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: We stayed in 505 which is priced at a city view price but has views of the river.
4 Thank Amy M