“Sweet Suite!”

Hotel Contessa
Ranked #5 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I LOVE this hotel! First of all - the rooms are suites. Can you say -spacious??!! Our family of 3 fits perfectly in this hotel room - private bedroom for Mom and Dad and a fold out couch for jr. in the living room! And a bathroom in between. Also extra counter space for spreading out the makeup/hair drying tools while someone else is in the shower. Works like a dream! Also, it is on the "quiet" side of the river walk. Which means less late night noise if you are an early to bed and early to rise type person!

One recommendation I highly recommend is to walk to the Gunther House for breakfast (order their special coffee - you can't go wrong with starting your day that way) and tour the historic homes in the King George District - on the way back from the Gunther House - all within walking distance along the river.

The pool on the rooftop is TINY! So get there early if you want a chair!

I wouldn't suggest staying here during Spring Break - unless you don't mind waiting in line to check in - slower elevators - and louder hallway noise from guests - since it is a hotel of suites - it tends to draw larger groups of guests.

But I highly recommend it for family, group, or for couples! Great hotel!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank luvplayacar
Write a ReviewReviews (3,295)

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I cannot say enough good things about this hotel. They went above and beyond at every turn!! We had 21 people at this hotel for a conference and NOT ONE complaint!! Eddie, the doorman, was very accommodating, professional and kept us informed. Rocio was amazing helping me with last minute changes and being available at a moments notice. Ismael Gaona really brought it home exceeding my expectations and providing amazing service ALL DAY long always with a smile on his face!! Special thanks to Kathy for keeping it all together for me and really making our group feel comfortable and welcomed.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Kristine M
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This centrally located hotel on the San Antonio River Walk is amazing. The Apartment style rooms make it comfortable for both business and leisure travel. I often take my parents with me on business trips. The fact that the bedroom is separated by a hallway with the bathroom in between makes it possible for me to work into the evening and not disturb my parents. The hotel is quiet. The restaurant and happy hour are divine. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone planning to visit San Antonio. If you sign up for emails from the hotel, you will learn about specials and discounts.

Room Tip: All the rooms are essentially the same from my multiple trips to this hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Govmrs
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed here recently when a cold spell hit the area, so the temperature in the room was either too cold or too hot (adjusting the temperature in the room had minimal impact). The room was clean, and other than the scratchy sheets and blanket, the room was comfortable. The fitness facility was nice, and the free weights were maintained.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DawninDallas
Reviewed May 7, 2013

One of the best hotels in San Antonio on the Riverwalk. The rooms are large, modern, updated, and clean. Rooftop pool was fantastic and offers best views of the city. Great workout facility with new equipment. This is a must stay place.

Room Tip: High floor with city view or low floor with Riverwalk view
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank ChiTravel84
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed at the Contessa because everywhere else was booked solid - we did not know it was Fiesta weekend! Our friends from Scotland were in the US for the first time and this was their final weekend. They were blown away. The hotel is excellent and the location is perfect. It is pricey but we consider that you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bob12426
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Our profeesional group of EA's stayed at this fabulous place this past weekend - and I'd highly recommend staying here. The staff was especially top notch. On Saturday morning, I went downstairs at 6:15 am not realizing they did not open for breakfast until 6:30. They still welcomed me in, even though they weren’t quite set up, and the waiter (George) was particularly awesome, as he offered me numerous refills of coffee, told me about how much the riverwalk had changed in the past 30 years (we shared stories on memories of different establishments come and gone) along with all the improvements, and even got me a to-go coffee for my walk/run after the meal. Another gal, believer her name was Linda, checked several rooms in the middle of the day searching for a wine bottle opener. Our group had also rented a hospitality suite one evening for a limited engagement, and the wait staff (Luis) stayed with us until the wee hours (well beyond the call of duty or contract) in the Hospitality suite on Saturday night while we talked into the night. It's located very close to shopping, right on the riverwalk-GREAT LOCATION! The bed and pillows were fantastic; had a perfect night's sleep every night.

Room Tip: I can't comment on the Spa, as I did not use their services, but the pool on the top floor over...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business