“The perfect getaway”

Hotel Contessa
Ranked #8 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 26, 2012

This is a romantic getaway hotel on the riverwalk. They do many weddings there and we could see why. The riverview room we had was great with the only drawback being that it was also close to a side road and there was quite a bit of traffic noise. But the hotel, the restaurants, and the riverwalk access are ideal. Would definately choose this place again.

Room Tip: If the room end in 21, you will be right next to the side road and have quite a bit of traffic noise...
1  Thank blaSSt
There are newer reviews for Hotel Contessa

Reviewed December 24, 2012

The hotel itself is beautiful, great location but view misleading. My husband and I booked the nights of Novemer 30th & December 1st, 2012 for a huge family reunion to celebrate my grandmother's 100th birthday. While we were at the event someone went into our hotel room and stole my new brown Coach purse with matching wallet and a black & white Coach wallet with all my credit cards and $700.00. We arrived from the event after 1 a.m. and went straight to bed. The following morning while packing for check out I noticed my property missing. I immediately notified hotel staff. When I called my bank to report my debit card stolen they had already placed a hold on it for suspicion of fraudulence, my card had already been used 3 times at gas stations. My greatest devastation is that Hotel Contessa denied evidence of anyone having entered our hotel room during the time we were out. There was insinuation that my loss never occurred, my integrity was in question and I was left emotionally broken. As a registered nurse of over 22 years working for the City & County of Denver I have NEVER been made to feel as I did from this experience at Hotel Contessa.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Truth-of-Contessa
Crystal B, Director of Guest Services at Hotel Contessa, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2012

Our staff takes great pride in seeing that every guest leaves happy and satisfied. However, with respect to your integrity being questioned, we seemed to have failed. For that we apologize. A safe environment for all our guests is a priority and when safety or security is in question we have processes in place to help us investigate and understand the situation. Once you had reported your missing purse, we immediately implemented a thorough investigation. We audited the digital lock to your room, which concluded that no one had entered your room between the time you left and returned. We also conducted staff interviews, which indicated no suspicious activity. We also contacted the San Antonio Police department on your behalf. I am pleased to hear that we were able to swiftly return a bag to you containing valuable personal belongings which had been left behind in your room following your departure. As previously stated, we are sorry that you left Hotel Contessa emotionally unsatisfied and hope that one day you will allow us the opportunity to restore your confidence in Hotel Contessa.

Best Regards,
Crystal Baker - Director of Guest Services.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

As others have stated here, the Hotel Contessa is absolutely lovely with huge suites and beautiful decor. It's really hard to complain about much when you're in such a beautiful environment. But considering I got no sleep on the last night of our stay, I figure I need to mention a possible noise problem for the benefit of others.

One of the reasons we chose the Contessa was because of the location (referenced in several reviews as being away from the noisy part of the Riverwalk). This is true and it also does not suffer from the huge weekend bee-hive of lobby activity like the Westin next door. (Not to say it isn't busy, but the Westin was crazy on Friday.)

However on our last night, we noticed a very rhythmic, loud noise had started up outside - some sort of equipment it seemed. Now it wasn't a deafening noise but it was constant sound - much like a dryer (or even snoring) in its uniformity. My husband was able to get past it (OK, he takes sleep meds!) but I was not. At 4 a.m. we visited the front desk for help. We were told it was the museum next door and that they normally did not run the equipment on the weekends. (We didn't notice a peep on Thursday night.) In any case, they obviously could not contact anyone at the museum at that hour and the hotel was completely booked so there was nothing to be done.

If you are a light sleeper, I would just suggest that you make a note in any reservation request at the Contessa to be put in the quietest room available. I have no idea if this is a recurring problem (I did not notice it in other reviews) but the front desk personnel did seem immediately familiar with the complaint.

To their credit, the Contessa sent a survey immediately after our visit (to which I responded with similar comments) and I heard back from the general manager. It is obvious this is a property that takes great pride in their service. (They sure need to work out a deal with that museum though!)

One final note to anyone with a fear of heights. For some reason, I imagined this was a small boutique hotel of just a few floors. Not the case. It has 12 floors with an inner atrium and a glass-walled elevator. If you think it might bother you, ask for a lower floor. Although I must say the Australian accent of the elevator "voice" was very uniquely reassuring.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, ask for the quietest room available just in case.
2  Thank Linda M
Reviewed December 20, 2012

This was a beautiful hotel and is located on the River Walk in San Antonio. We booked this room for our son and his bride before they left on their honeymoon. We reserved the romance package and am not sure this was worth the pricey bill for the added wine and strawberries. Probably will not recommend this, but the location and accommodations were great.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 4Enterprises
Reviewed December 18, 2012

We spent two fantastic days at the Hotel Contessa. Best location. Checking in and out was very quick and efficient. Suite was spacious and comfortable. Parking fees are rather high. Staff is friendly and welcoming.

Room Tip: Our room had view of Riverwalk.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Helen B
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I was so pleased that Hotel Contessa allowed us to check-in a couple hours early. We were able to beat the afternoon traffic and get settled in without having to wait in line to check-in. The front desk staff was so pleasant and welcoming. There's so much I can say about this hotel and I'll start with the lavish decor. All the furniture looked brand new and very well maintained. The atrium was nicely decorated for the holidays with an awesome tree. We enjoyed sitting out on the patio with our cocktails next to the Riverwalk. Lastly, the breakfast buffet with the made to order omelet was all very tasty and filling. I had only one concern given how huge our suite was and that was the amount of vanity space they had in our bathroom. I'm used to hotels of this style and expense to have either dual sinks or a vanity long enough for two people to share. I had to curl my hair and put my make-up on in the bedroom, just to give my hubby space to shave. There's only room for one person to utilize the vanity, so just be prepared or asked whether there are rooms with larger sink space. Other than that, we do plan on visiting this lovely hotel again, hopefully sooner than later! :-)

Room Tip: We stayed in a Riverview suite 726, but we were right on the corner above the patio near the street...
4  Thank TCAMPBL
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We stay here as a family 3 or 4 times a year & would not stay anywhere else. Rooms are clean, nice with great decor. Right on the river, beautiful view and short walk to wherever you want to be. Wonderful decorations during the holidays. Where this hotel exceeds all, is the people. From the front desk to the bar (which has a great atmosphere) employees are super friendly, helpful and have a great attitude. They remember us every trip. If they don't, it is one introduction and and it sticks. Daniel and Michelle at the bar and Ivan at the restaurant are exceptional. They really make you feel like you are at home. As if they can't do enough for you. Rest of the staff treats you the same. I stay at upper end hotels all over the country, if you want to be treated like you are family, Contessa is the place to stay. I never leave reviews. This one had to be written!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family