“Loved Hotel Contessa!!!!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Missouri
“Loved Hotel Contessa!!!!”
Reviewed February 12, 2008

This was a great hotel. We were treated very well by all members of the staff. It was a clean, friendly, overall nice hotel. All staff was willing to answer all questions and point you in the right direction. The rooms were great and the beds were very comfortable. Location was great. right on the riverwalk, but in a quite location, but only a few minutes from all the action. A great stay, and we will definatley return there agian.

• Liked — The Beds
  • Disliked — Needs more tourist information in the Suites.
  • Stayed February 2008
1 Thank Meld14

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (861)
Florida
Reviewed January 28, 2008

We stayed at the Contessa January 20-24, 2008, for a business meeting at the convention center in San Antonio. The "host hotels" were all booked so this was a second choice, but it would definately be our first choice if we return to San Antonio again. The hotel is on the riverwalk, 2 blocks from the convention center and very conveniently located to restaurants, shops, clubs and the Alamo.
We found the the staff to be very attentive and helpful from the moment we stepped out of the cab. There was only one minor issue with reservations when one member of our group came a day later and staff thought we had checked into that room already which we had not. They resolved the problem very quickly.
The entire hotel is beautiful and has an upscale, yet comfortable, relaxed atmosphere. I met a friend across the street at the Westin which was also beautiful, but had a much more formal feel to it. Our room was on the 11th floor with a city view, but we had a partial river view also. It was very quiet, something I was concerned about after having stayed in San Antonio about 5 yrs ago and my room at another hotel was very noisy from city activity.
I would highly recommend this hotel for business or leisure travel. If we find ourselves in San Antonio, this will be our hotel of choice.

• Liked — Daniel the bartender!
  • Disliked — Not a thing. One of the best travel experiences we've ever had!
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
4 Thank SiteCR
Connecticut
Reviewed January 27, 2008

I stayed at the Hotel Contessa for two nights this past weekend. I was in town for a conference (which was being held at a different hotel) and I wanted to find the best place to stay. I read the TripAdvisor reviews and Contessa was highly rated, so I figured I would give it a chance. Let me tell you, TripAdvisor members are spot on with their reviews! This hotel was fantastic. It is very new (2005 I believe) and everything is meticulously clean and well appointed. There is a lot of style in the hotel that sets it apart from the Marriotts and Sheratons of the world. The rooms are very large and feel more like an apartment than an hotel room. The bathroom was spotless and they even had Aveda products, which was a nice luxurious touch. My father was traveling w/me and he is a jacuzzi lover, so he explored the pool/jacuzzi area on the rooftop of the hotel. Again, it was immaculate, AND he was the only person in the whole pool/jacuzzi area on Friday evening. I worked out in the exercise room and it was the same thing-- I had the room to myself. The Contessa is very close to the Alamo and is literally on the Riverwalk, right near the restaurants and the "nice" area of the Riverwalk (I know, all parts of it are nice, but it's on the BEST part, near the restuarants and boat launch). The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Overall, an A+ experience.

• Liked — Beautiful rooms, lobby, great restaurant, excellent location
  • Disliked — Free Internet access should be provided
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
7 Thank Scari_W
Houston, TX
Reviewed January 12, 2008

We stayed at the Contessa for New Years. We were with our two teens. This is a perfect family hotel. The suites are great and spotlessly clean. The location is super. Previous reviews mentioned issues with traffic noise. We were "street side" and didn't have any any problems. The staff is very helpful. Overall, this is a great hotel.

• Liked — Plenty of room and great location.
  • Disliked — It was all good!
2 Thank AnotherHoustonian
Houston
Reviewed January 11, 2008

I travel frequently around the country and Europe and found Hotel Contessa very mediocre. The hotel itself looked nice but service was slow. The most disappointing part of the stay at Contessa was the theft of several articles. I am sure this doesn't reflect on everyone there but it will prevent me from staying there again or recommending the hotel as this has never happened to me before at any hotel.

Bryan Dawson

3 Thank wbryandawson
Lake Jackson, Texas
Reviewed January 9, 2008

This was our 2nd time to stay at the Contessa Hotel located on the San Antonio Riverwalk in Texas. Both times we stayed there it was Christmas time and both the hotel and the Riverwalk are beautiful in their Holiday splendor. The hotel opened in November of 2006 so it is realatively new. it is a great location on the Riverwalk. Room rates are reasonable. Between $190 to a high of about $320 for a river view suite. All of the rooms are suites. We can comfortably fit our family of five inot one suite.
The hotel staff is one of the best we have come across in being friendly, courteous and professional. The outdoor rooftop pool is heated and has a connected hot tub. In addition, the top floor has a spa and a well equipped gym. The Riverwalk at night is something to behold during the Christmas - New Years time. Colorful lights are festooned from the trees and it takes on an almost fairytail quality at night. I higjhly recommend the Contessa Hotel in San Antonio. We will be going back next Christmas if not sooner. Give her a try. I believe you will be glad you did!

• Liked — The staff is great!
  • Disliked — We had to wait 15-minutes to be seated for breakfast ath the hotel restaurant.
4 Thank GulfTraveler
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 5, 2008

We had a very nice family stay (2 teens). The room was lovely, just as pictured on the website. It wasn't technically a suite but did have a sitting area with sofa/chairs/table that was separate from the sleeping area (2 queens). In other places we've stayed, this setup is usually side by side (bathroom by the entrance). Here these areas are divided by a hallway/bathroom, in the middle, making each area more distinct. And each had it's own TV! which meant the adults and the teens could watch separate shows at the same time.
We went to use the hottub but it was empty. No sign or anything, although we did mention it to a staff member in the hall who didn't know anything. On our last day we passed by and to our surprise it was up and running, so we were disappointed to miss it but probably should have pursued it more ourselves.
Prepare to pay $27/day for valet parking but this price range seems to be standard on the Riverwalk.
It is nice to be on the Riverwalk. It is in a more quiet location but not far from the busy area if you like that. We did not eat in the hotel restaurant, which looked nice, but also looked expensive and a little formal. The posted menu did not include prices and we chose from the many and varied (often more casual) restaurants on the Riverwalk.
I did inquire if they were aware of any 'specials/discounts' available for local restaurants/attractions but did not get much response. A staffer was supposed to 'check it out' and leave info for us at the front desk, but we inquired the next two days and nothing was there for us. It's a 'nice' hotel and I kind of wondered if they felt 'discounts' were below them...but in our travels we wandered into the Hyatt lobby (also a very nice hotel) and picked up a copy of Fiesta magazine from a pile sitting in the open which had very useful tourist info in it and pages of discount coupons at the back. I would suggest that they could improve in this area.
Other than that, it was beautiful, very clean, good location and I would recommend it.

4 Thank Happytraveller066