“Nice long weekend at The Hotel Contessa”
Review of Hotel Contessa

Hotel Contessa
Ranked #8 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 2, 2011

My family, friends and I all had a very pleasant stay at The Hotel Contessa. In addition to being a beautiful facility with comfortable, large suites, and large open lounge areas to gather with friends (the river level seating area and the roof top pool and hot tub area); the hotel's real value is in some of it's key personnel. My first and last contact at the hotel was with Eddie Gomez, the best bellman ever. Eddie's smile and genuine heart for service is remarkable. I wish I knew the names of the other bellmen on duty during our stay; they were fabulous as well.

I must also commend Erin Luther, in the catering department. Erin and the catering staff helped us host a party during our stay. The food was delicious and beautifully displayed, and the people who set everything in place were a joy to work with.

During our stay we had the need of the maintenance man for a plumbing issue, we requested that a few burnt out light bulbs be replaced, and we requested a refrigerator for our room. After a call down to the bellmen, all our requests were quickly attended and with pleasant attitudes. In addition to this the woman in charge of housekeeping on our floor was also very pleasant, and helpful.

One other area of great service was at the Las Rambles restaurant. On our last morning at the hotel a group of about 30 of us showed up un-announced for the the breakfast buffet. The gentleman who greeted me in the restaurant did everything he could to seat our group together and he and his crew took excellent care of our group.

Over all, we had a wonderful stay at the hotel. The only area that was a disappointment was contact with the front desk staff. Thankfully, Eddie G. and all the rest of the staff more than made up for the disparity of the service and attitude of the front desk personnel. If you need anything during your stay, call the bellmen first.

1  Thank 1211MOB
HCGM, General Manager at Hotel Contessa, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2011

We are very impressed with the level of detail you have provided in your review. In spite of some issues you may have experienced, I am happy that you were satisfied with your overall stay. Thank you for taking the time to write all that you did and for providing a full view of your stay from beginning to end. We appreciate you comments and look forward to having you return on your next visit.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Contessa

Reviewed December 2, 2011

This is my very first hotel review and I just had to rave about this hotel. My family was in San-Antonio for Thanksgiving and we stayed at this Hotel. We made our reservation on Priceline and when the hotel was confirmed and it came up with hotel contessa. I was disappointed because I was expecting one of the well known hotels on the riverwalk. My disappointment was only for a short while because when we got to the hotel, it was a bliss from then on. Right from the valet attendants, we were treated like a special guest. We wanted a room with two queen beds but we got the king bed with a king view room to Riverwalk which is even better. There is a sleeper in the living area, so the kids had thier own time watch what they wanted on TV and we had another honeymoon :-) We are a family of 4 and we all had fun. Everybody was friendly, the guests and the employees. You will not regret staying here. Even the restaurant downstairs was nice and I will defiantly stay here again when visiting San-Antonio. I love, love love this hotel

2  Thank Enny A

In reading your review I can see you and your family had a wonderful time while staying with us and appreciate you choosing Hotel Contessa for your stay. I must say that I am very impressed with the level of detail you have provided in your review. It is always a pleasure to read wonderful reviews like yours. We look forward to your future stay.

Reviewed November 30, 2011

Our family came down to San Antonio for the weekend and spent one night in the Hotel Contessa. This hotel is a great hotel that is located right on the Riverwalk and is 2 blocks from the Alamo. The hotel staff was very friendly and always available to answer questions or provide directions and advice.

There is no parking specifically for the hotel, you will either need to pay for valet or park your car yourself and walk. This is not a problem however, considering that the hotels location makes the car somewhat unnecessary. Everything that you would want to see in a day is within walking distance.

The hotel is a little too upscale for little kids. For example, the resaurant did not specifically have a childrens menu and there are alot of decorations in the hotel and the rooms that a small child might easily break.

I would highly recommend this for couples looking for a romantic getaway, adults without children, or families that have older (10 years+) children. My wife and I plan on coming back without the kids for a weekend together.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the Riverwalk are better view. Higher rooms have less noise. Best rooms would be o...
1  Thank goterps10

In reading your review I can see you had a wonderful time while visiting San Antonio and we appreciate you choosing Hotel Contessa for your stay. Thank you for recommending us to others. We look forward to your future stay.

Reviewed November 28, 2011

The hotel was very pretty, but on the expensive side (around $200/night), and the service was very poor. I was there almost 48 hours, yet my room was never cleaned, despite asking the maids to come, and my TV didn't work to boot.

The valet service was also horrible. They charge $20/night (which is standard), but for $20, you expect them to bring your car. Which they will, 45 minutes after you ask for it. And apparently, someone staying at the hotel drove a Maserati and Hotel Contessa wanted to leave it right in front for extra panache. Which is fine, except that the valets would constantly park our car right behind the panache Maserati, which meant that we could not leave once they finally brought us our car. We were forced to back out onto a busy street every single time, just because they refused to move the Maserati so our Ford Focus rental car could get by. Not a huge deal, but for the money, you just don't want to keep dealing with these sorts of issues.

The bellhop was really nice though. Unfortunately for Hotel Contessa, that's not enough to make me go back.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
HCGM, General Manager at Hotel Contessa, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2011

We read your review about your experience at Hotel Contessa. I want to apologize for the less than satisfactory service you received from Housekeeping and the Valet Department. This is unacceptable and has been addressed with the management staff.

Once again, I apologize that we did not provide a better experience, we will always strive to do better, and I thank you for the constructive thoughts you shared on your review.

Reviewed November 28, 2011

Just got back from the Thanksgiving holiday stay at Hotel Contessa. First, it was easy to locate right off the interstate. Second, right in the hub of all Riverwalk activities/food/shops. We were impressed with how beautiful the hotel was when we first entered the doors. To add to that the staff was extremely friendly and helpful but not pushy. Our suite was lovely, clean and comfortable. We had great views of the city and partial views of the Riverwalk from the 11th floor "city view" room. We ordered room service one night and food was brought quickly and hot. Would not hesitate to recommend and will stay again on our next trip. They have valet parking but we chose to self park directly across the street for 1/2 the daily cost. We did not have to use the car during our entire stay since everything was in walking distance.

Room Tip: When booking, I quoted the price for a room at Holiday Inn and they were willing to meet that price...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family

In reading your review I can see you had a wonderful time while visiting San Antonio and we appreciate you choosing Hotel Contessa for your stay. We are proud to read the notes you left about our staff. Your feedback is very important to our efforts to continuously improve guest satisfaction. We look forward to having you as guest in the future.

Reviewed November 28, 2011

This really is a great hotel and you get excellent value for money which is not often common in high end(4 star +) hotels. For example, free WifFi, reasonably price bottled water in the room and room service, you can order specific breakfast items a la carte as opposed to being required to pay for a full buffet when you don't want it. The location, decor and service cannot be beat! The suites were large and very nicely decorated

Room Tip: A room facing the Riverwalk is ideal
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

We are very pleased that we exceeded your expectations. We look forward to having you as guest in the future.

Reviewed November 28, 2011

After a lot of research we found a great rate for Hotel Contessa with American Airlines Hotels.

Hotel Contessa is located on the Riverwalk and in walking distance to many sites and restaurants.

A great 2 day stay and we'd book again on our next trip to San Antonio.

In room 824 here is a separate living room with a flat scrren tv, a spacious bathroom with nice amenities, and a large comfortably appointed bedroom. Free internet. Valet parking is $28 a night that is a bit "much".

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

We appreciate your compliments about our facilities. In reference to our parking rate, we have researched other hotels valet charges and are one of the lowest charges with hotel valet. Thank you for choosing the Hotel Contessa on your recent visit. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in San Antonio.