“Wilderness at it's best”

Friedrich Wilderness Park
Ranked #67 of 266 things to do in San Antonio
Reviewed November 3, 2013

My family and I went up there today, and we did level 4 it was awesome!!! It was the most challenging hike so far. I loved the fresh air and felt great after the trek up the hill! I am looking forward to going again and try to make it at least once a week.

1  Thank Glenda D
There are newer reviews for Friedrich Wilderness Park

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Great patch of nature close to San Antonio with easy access from I-10 amid ever-increasing development in the Texas Hill Country. The park is well used by locals but is not overcrowded. In March, the Texas mountain laurel blooms everywhere in the understory. Endangered golden-cheeked warblers are reported here, but we did not see any.

1  Thank Mamitxoh
Reviewed May 22, 2013

This park has been around a long time and is a great spot for birders and outdoor enthusiasts alike. Texas Master Naturalists and Texas Parks and Wildlife often utilize the park for education and wildlife experiements.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

“Standing on the bare ground,--my head bathed by the blithe air and uplifted into infinite space,--all mean egotism vanishes. I become a transparent eyeball; I am nothing; I see all; the currents of the Universal Being circulate through me; I am part or parcel of God.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson, Nature and Selected Essays.

In short, if you vist in the summer bring water, sunscreen no matter your ethnicity, a camera, bug repellant and stuff to treat the bites and a big floppy hat. Its fun and some trails are a challenge. I believe its wheelchair accessible , paved and has hand rails on some parts. Summer go early as possible - it gets real hot. Other time bring a swaeter or jacket. There was a Ranger on duty to when I used to vist so I felt safe. but, be mindful. Might leave Grandma/pa at the hotel for this trip unless they are healthy/heat tolerant. Same with young ones. Watch children for heat exhaustion. Please, don't eat ANYTHING there. We lost a couple of girls thought there were eating wild carrot top leafs. It was Hemlock. Deadly!! Look before you sit! I was once sitting on a bench and the underside had these HUGE spiders. AHHGGG!! (the scream). If you take this advice it will be an excellent trip. They had classes/walks at night that sounded interesting and fun. No Dogs allowed. Apache Point wilderness park on the NE side allows dogs. I cannot remember when I visted so, April 2012 is the latest date I can put. My advice is still valid anytime.

A fellow student back in the 80s' brought me here We were cutting college class. I remember we sat and enjoyed the quietness. Every once in a while something would rustle in the woods or we'd see a raptor cruise by overhead. I thought, this is Heaven. I thought, its so hot I wish had some water. Leaving, we signed a book and yes, there was a cool water fountain and two Ranger horses resting. I now could face the World again. I came here often to study.

Fast forward a couple of decades. I visted and didn't recognize I10-W. So much commerce! I finally found the park signed the book started walking and I heard this persistant banging in the distance. Got to the highest point and in the distance the tree were gone. They were building a high priced shopping center. No birds to see. Sadden, I stopped at the fountain and left.

Perhaps now the shopping center has been built and the animals have returned. Maybe a thatch of trees have grown to hide the stores. I hope so, San Antonio developers have never been friends of trees, Nature. But go. This park was set aside by an unselfish family that understood the importance of Nature. Enjoy this then, go buy something expensive at the mall.

1  Thank R B
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Great hiking on well maintained trails. Friedrich park has aggressive climbing and hiking trails which give a good workout. There are more moderate trails as well for those less adventurous hikers. Beautiful views on the trails at the back of the park.

1  Thank Stephen P