“Inefficient staff”
Review of Crockett Hotel

Crockett Hotel
Ranked #17 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed March 12, 2011

I prepaid for a one night stay. Upon checkin the clerk did not have any idea of the package amenities included. It took about 20 minutes to check in. The free breakfast was one of the worst I've had anywhere-breakfast breads were hard and dried out, watermelon was inedible and grapes were slimy. Upon checkout they tried to charge me again for the room. Checkout took about 15 minutes to get straightened out. The bathroom was not exactly clean with black hairs all over the countertop. The location is the best part of the hotel since it's just across the street from the Alamo.

Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,062)

Reviewed March 2, 2011

Couldn't have picked a better location, it is right across the street from the Alamo. There is a large shopping mall on the other side as well. Tour bus begins right on Crockett St. so also very handy! The hotel room was very nicely done and extremely clean. The bed was firm but comfortable, and we slept very well there without disturbance. breakfast had a good selection including Texas shaped waffles, fruit, yogurt, bagels, cereal, eggs etc. The staff at the hotel were friendly and went out of their way to be helpful. All this at what I think was a very reasonable, if not low, rate.
Try the Saltgrass restaurant on Riverwalk for great steak, and the Mercado for shopping!

Reviewed February 28, 2011

The hotel is literally steps from the Alamo, a few blocks from the Riverwalk, and was incredibly convenient to everything I wanted to do. I was in town for a conference at the Convention Center, and found it very easy to get there. A quick 10 minute walk (cutting through the mall and taking the Riverwalk) was all it took to get there.

The room was spacious, the bed comfortable, and the staff helpful. I thought the room was very clean, but the bed linens are the old-style bedspreads. I took a taxi from the airport ($23 trip, 20 minutes) so I didn't have the issue with parking that others have experienced. The continental breakfast was tasty, filling, and free! All in all, the hotel was exactly what I needed for my stay: clean, safe, and a much better value than any other associated with my convention!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 25, 2011

Our rooms overlooked the Alamo. Ultra modern appointed smaller room had excellent bed. Entrance is through renovated and remodeled atrium contained restaurants, lobby and access to pool. Parking at $18.50 a day could be a bargain if one goes in and out. I parked in a lot next to hotel parking and paid $20 overnight n part of a day for $20. Breakfast was much more than advertised continental version. Surprisingly quiet for downtown location. Riverwalk is less than 2 blocks away. Downers: low commode is for agile folks (challenge for those over 65). Room Key required for hotel elevator, while a security plus, must be inserted and removed to get selected floor. Eelevator will not move otherwise. I purchased room from aggregator and didn't pay full price. This trip occurred in the off season so some comments may not apply in late April. Yes I will book again when I have out of state guests that want to see San Antonio..

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 24, 2011

We enjoyed the historic qualities of the Crockett Hotel, but that was about all. When we got to our room, we discovered that the bathroom vanity was dirty...including hair left over from someone shaving! We called housekeeping and they came to rectify the situation. We noticed smaller hair fibers behind the faucet...at which point, we just gave up and cleaned it ourselves. In the evening, around 10pm or 11pm, we were ready for sleep and we then noticed our room was next to the ice machine. You guessed it!!!! Everytime we began to fall asleep, someone got more ice for a party. Since it was late and we had everything spread out, we decided against complaining and trying to get another room. The next morning, we inquired about the shuttle to the airport and were told they do not provide this service but they would give us a number to call where we could arrange our transportation. This was really irritating because I called long distance to make sure this was provided by the hotel and was assured they provided this service to their guests. The final straw was when we checked out and the front desk clerk informed us that we had a lot of local calls on our bill and that would be added to the total. We did indeed use the hotel phone in our room for local calls because we were under the impression they were free since the phone instruction card in the room made no mention of a charge for local calls. We have stayed at hotels/motels where there was a charge for local calls but they always indicated this very clearly on the phone face or separate sheet of instructions. Due to these problems, we will never stay at the Crockett again. We would also discourage any of our friends from making the same mistake. This was a terrible experience which left a sour taste in our memory of San Antonio, which was made all the more bitter since we were celebrating our 45th wedding anniversary on this trip.
Gary Petri
8805 Ohern St
Omaha, NE 68127

Reviewed February 23, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Crockett Hotel for 2 nights. We thoght the location and value for price was great. We had a large room with a queen bed and BIG bathroom overlooking the Alamo. The bed was firm, just like we like it. If you are a light sleeper, you might want to be on the other side of the hotel as the Alamo clean-up crew starts at 6:00 AM. I would recommend this hotel - great value, great location, good breakfast.

Reviewed February 21, 2011

Got a good deal on this hotel thru Book It.com. The lobby looks old and a bit run down, but the rooms are updated-very nice, spacious, and clean. Free breakfast was good and the location is excellent for Riverwalk and RiverCenter. Only complaint is that $20 a day is steep for parking (mall lot behind the hotel is only $5, but no in and out allowed)and there was only one person checking in and out at front desk. Otherwise, I would stay here again and would recommend it for a reasonable weekend get a way!