“fabulous experience, great location, amazing staff!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Crockett Hotel

Crockett Hotel
Ranked #23 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
San Antonio, Texas
“fabulous experience, great location, amazing staff!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2010

I am orginally from San Antonio and went back to visit a few friends and wander one of my favorite cities in the world. I thought about staying at a newer hotel the river walk for $300+ a night however I decided to splurge on other things and stayed at the Crockett. The location is close to everything you would want to do downtown. I stayed in a suite which was huge and overlooked the Alamo! The room was spotless. I will say that the decor is out dated, however functional. The front desk staff were very helpful and friendly, and the valet was prompt and organized. Coming from the DC area $20 a night to valet is a steal!
It does not have all the fancy services and facility as other hotels in San Antonio, but if you are looking for good value, and plan on getting out and experiencing the wonders of the city, this is the place to stay!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank adellemariec

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Salt Lake City, UT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2010

We were staying at another hotel in Corpus Christi and were supposed to stay two more days but they had roaches and didn't seem to care so we came to San Antonio and stayed at the Crockett Hotel and were so happy to see such a nice, clean, organized hotel that seemed to care about us as the guest. We had a wonderful breakfast and when we left, I discovered that I had forgotten my phone charger in the room. Housekeeping had found it. I asked them to mail it to me as I lived in Utah, they mailed it to me and did not have a problem doing so. I was so pleased to get my charger back and to have had such wonderful service especially in today's day and age when people just don't have pride in their work anymore and definately no shame in bad service. I will always stay at this hotel in the future when I am in San Antonio. Thank you very much.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Michele1987
NW Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2010

We enjoyed our stay at the Crockett. Started off poorly when hotel would not give us adjoining rooms as we requested when making reservation and was promised to get. Then they sent us to a room that was already occupied. Next room they gave us was not cleaned yet and we had to leave our luggage in friends room for a few hours. After spending 1st night in 2 tiny non adjoining rooms, the hotel did the proper thing and moved us to adjoining decent sized rooms. We loved the location and enjoyed the hotel after finally receiving correct rooms. Strongly advise to be sure of getting a decent room - some of their rooms are tiny and apparently are billed at same price.

1 Thank Bullfrog270
Houston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2010

I was worried about staying in this hotel because it is a much older hotel. But it is great in the inside. The BEST thing about this hotel is its location. It's close to EVERYTHING! It's right next to the mall, the freeway, across the st. from the Alamo, a couple of blocks from the Riverwalk, a short walk from Market Square. It was just a short drive from the Natural Bridge Taverns. We extended our stay without reservations and they were able to accommadate us with no problems.

1 Thank Chic1399
Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2010

Traveled with my wife and 15 year old son. If I had one word to sum up the Crockett, it would be "small". The room was small, the elevator was small, the lobby was small, the pool was small, etc. So I would not recommend this for a large family, but for the three of us it was fine. I've attached pictures so you can check out the room we stayed in. On the plus side, the rooms and hotel were clean, workers courteous, a reasonable breakfast buffet, and the location is fabulous. We paid around $130 per night, which makes it a pretty good value considering its location. On the negative side, the room's small size and lack of a refrigerator and lock box were a dissapointment. However, the biggest negative is parking. This has been voiced by others and I agree. The cost to park with the hotel was $22 per day. We instead chose a lot right outside the hotel at $12 per day (Colonial Parking lot). Unfortunately, this was a bad choice because they charge a full day price after 1 hour of parking and they charge you full price again if you leave and come back during the same day! So we went a little further down the block and parked in a lot at $5 per day. This is a self-service lot and there were three areas of broken automotive glass in the lot that gave us concern about our rental being broken into each day. However, no matter where you park, these are street level, uncovered parking lots with no security, so we felt we'd be taking a risk no matter what, so we went with the cheapest we could find that we could see from the hotel. It worked out for us. My wife would recommend that if you get a room near one of the ice machines and you are a light sleeper, then you should ask for another. The machine is pretty noisy and seems to make ice every hour or so.

So, if it wasn't for the parking anxiety, I would rate the hotel 4 stars, but the parking lowers my rating to 3. Again, it is clean, friendly, and is in a great location. The small size and lack of a few amenities should be taken into account especially for larger families. I think the hotel is a great value if its less than $140 a night. Its wonderful location allows easy access to all transportation (boats, trolleys, horse carriages, and buses), three great River Walk access points within 2 blocks, and of course, only 18 steps from the historic Alamo.

We recommend Casa Rio (about 2 blocks) for lunch. Get there right at 11 am when it opens and you'll get a great food and a table right on the River Walk where you can watch the boats and people go by. To get a "lay of the land" I would recommend walking to the RiverCenter Mall across the street to catch a 20 minute boat tour. The mall also has an IMAX theater, so on a rainy day you could take in a show. For the Alamo, we would recommend getting there right at 9 am when it opens. Have a simple breakfast at the Hotel, then cross the street and enjoy the Alamo. A good resource is the Visitor's Center, which is right across the street from the Alamo. Right next to the Visitor's Center is another access point for the River Walk.

1 Thank envfocus
Austin, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2010

Crockett Hotel has got some historical cache to it being right next to The Alamo. However, it's not a "grand" historical hotel but rather a "ordinary" historical hotel experience.

The rooms are kinda dated from the 1980s - quite small and the walls are painted in an unappealing green tone. We also got a room facing the street and the outside noise was loud, had a hard time sleeping. I guess for less than $100 dollars this hotel would be an okay choice. However, I think next time I would just stay at the nicer Menger Hotel next door which is a grand historical hotel experience.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2010

This is an exceptional hotel at exceptional value. It is off the mainstream “Hotel Row” in San Antonio so it’s out of the bustle of traffic but is accessible to EVERYTHING. Most of the major tourist attractions are within easy walking distance and trolleys, busses and even horse drawn wagons are at hand to take care of the rest. The hotel has an “Old World” feel but is thoroughly up to date. The staff is attentive and responsive to guests’ needs without being intrusive. The breakfast (included) is more than adequate to start off the day with the added bonus of the self-baked, Texas-shaped waffles. Only glitches (MINOR); a balky keycard that wouldn’t work in one of the elevators (quickly replaced when brought to management’s attention) and the breakfast scrambled eggs are a tad rubbery.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple