“Perfect location”

Ranked #23 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
Thailand
“Perfect location”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

We stayed overnight in San Antonio and had a limited amount of time to visit the Alamo and the Riverwalk, and this hotel was literally across the street from both. It's a lovely older hotel that's well-staffed and well maintained, with full amenities and plenty of good choices for breakfast. The bed was very comfortable and the room was spotless.

1 Thank BKKMH

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Rochester, NY
Reviewed April 27, 2014

We were really impressed with the Crockett. We entered the impressive lobby, and were greeted by a very efficient desk clerk, who made us feel like VIPS. The rooms were large, sparsely decorated, and very clean. The hallways were a bit dreary, and the air conditioning was somewhat noisy. We had a leafy view of the Alamo Park, and the River Walk was just a few short blocks away through the River Center mall. The free breakfast was similar to what you might find in chain hotels, with plenty of choices. Best of all was the very small, but attractive pool area that made you feel you were in an oasis in the city.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Alamo.
Missouri City, Texas
Reviewed April 27, 2014

I absolutely loved this little hotel! It is in a prime location and walking distance to everything cool.
The rooms on the inside of the building face the atrium so be sure to ask for a room with an outside view. The rooms are small but very neat and kept clean. I absolutely loved all of the brick in this hotel and the history about it.
The breakfast was decent but we really didn't eat there much so I can't give a fair review on the rest of the food. Morton's is directly across the street and its def worth the visit! Its much easier to stay parked at the hotel and walk to all of your nearby destinations... which is plentiful. Checking out took us a bit longer as everyone seemed to be checking out the same day and they only had one person at the front counter. None the less, its worth the stay!

Texas
Reviewed April 26, 2014

Even though the Crockett is my second favorite place to stay in town it is owned and operated by the owners of the nearby Menger my #1 choice. Until the evening before I left I didn't know that there is the "old" section and the new section. I stayed in the new section so I can't attest to the other. My room was spotless and was thoroughly cleaned every morning. However said the service was the worst they've ever scene, was based on my 4 day stay way off base. My only complaint is that the entranceway is small and it lacked a ramp for the disabled. (I admit I could have missed it) On my last evening I spoke to the hotel GM (sorry I'm poor with names) who filled me in on the history of the Crockett. Nearby are some places I'd suggest that you visit while in town. The famous Menger Hotel Bar is only a short walk away as is the Alamo. both Riverwalk and the Imax are a short walk away. One thing about the weather it can get cold and rainy in the winter and the summers are very humid. We like to go in mid spring and early fall because of the weather and there can be less tourist than in the summer.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Joshua, Texas
Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed at this hotel while attending a conference at the convention center, just a short riverwalk away. My room overlooked the wall surrounding the Alamo...nice. The Crockett is a sister hotel to the Menger Hotel, another favorite of mine located across the street.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 20, 2014

My boyfriend and I were in San Antonio for the day. We loved the location of the hotel. It is located opposite of Alamo and the places we wanted to visit was in walking distance. All the tourist spots are in walking distance.It was $20 a day for valet service. It was pretty much the same price for self parking as well. We checked in around 4:30 pm and our room was in the 6th floor. The view from room pretty good. The room was clean and smelled very nice. I liked how they had extra set of towel. Usually a single bedroom has two sets of towel. They have nice little bar in the hotel itself. After a long day of doing touristy things around San Antonio, a drink in the hotel itself felt good. They had a breakfast in the morning starting 6:30 to 11 but we missed it. It looked nice in the pictures hopefully it tastes good as well. The front desk staff emphasized on trying their breakfast but we wanted to sleep in as it was a long drive back home.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Rthapa89
Perosa Argentina, Italy
Reviewed April 20, 2014

The service at this hotel is the worst I have seen in a long time, and I travel a lot. Check-in was at 3:00pm and the room was not ready. I had arrived early (around 1:30pm), so I left and returned at 3:00pm. I had to wait and at 3:30 they gave me a room with a connecting door. When I called the reception and mentioned I would prefer a room without a connecting door, the receptionist kept insisting I had not requested a room without the door--the website made no mention of rooms with connecting doors. After that, I got downgraded to a standard room (my reservation was for a deluxe room). When I spoke at the reception about the downgrade, I was told that since I made the reservation through Expedia, that there was no difference in the rooms. False. I was then offered a suite, but when I went to see it, it also had a connecting door. Really? Was it supposed to be a joke? After much discussion and asking to see the manager, I was promised a credit on my final bill. I was given $10. Ha. The rooms facing the atrium are really noisy-you can hear everything that goes on in the reception area, breakfast area, piano players, and people talking. They need to invest in triple-glazed windows. Also, the inside rooms face the neighbors directly in front of you, so you can't open the blinds unless you want to see your neighbors. It was not worth the stay and I will never stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the street. Inside rooms face the atrium, where you hear all the noise from recept...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends