“Nice historic hotel great location behind the Alamo”
Review of Crockett Hotel

Crockett Hotel
Ranked #23 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Hampton, Virginia, USA
“Nice historic hotel great location behind the Alamo”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

The location of the historic Crockett is the best thing about this hotel. You are right across the street from the Alamo, across the street from the huge mall (behind the steak house sign) and a block or two from the Riverwalk.
The staff was wonderful including one gentleman who always remembered my name when he saw me (and I have a very hard last name for most people to pronounce, I was very impressed by this!).
The hotel was clean. Some may find the lack of heavy curtains on the windows allowing too much sun in the room (they have a thick wooden blinds); also the bed was a little too firm for me, but I did get used to it. Otherwise, the room was always very clean as well as the bathroom.
There was no microwave or small refrigerator in the room--I don't know if the Crockett has rooms like that but I did not request one. As I was out touring most of the day and night, it did not prove to be a big issue for me. There were no laundry facilities, but again I cleaned my clothes with some soap and water and allowed them to dry over the bathtub. It worked O.K. The outside pool was small in size, but still OK with only 2 or 3 people in it.
I read complaints about the breakfast - it was the same every morning but it was included in my price and it was a good start every day. Just loved the Texas shaped waffles, which you make yourself! I looked forward to my Texas waffle every morning.
That being said, I found this a great hotel for my purposes of touring the Alamo and downtown San Antonio. There may be more luxurious hotels with more and larger facilites, but this was just great for me.
I would recommend this to friends visiting San Antonio and would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: I read that some people thought rooms near the lobby were noisy. My room was near the back, fifth f...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank jpha01mav

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Austin
Reviewed August 24, 2012

The location is great. Not right on the river but close to walk to it. Right behind the Alamo.

Parking is an extra fee but does have in and out privileges and valet.

The pool is sort of in the parking lot. It is small but they tried to make it inviting.

The room 306 is a standard 2 queen. The view was to overlook the back of the Alamo but was not high enough to see more than trees. The wall has an angle that made the room unique. The room was very clean.

We had a booking discount so the room was great for the price we paid.

• Stayed August 2012
Houston, TX
Reviewed August 15, 2012

My wife and I stayed here recently. I decided to try it out after reading all the great reviews online and the price was decent.

The location of the hotel itself is great. Across the street from the Alamo, walking distance to the Riverwalk, and several other attractions.

The lobby area is nice and clean, all the staff was very friendly. I loved the fact they had free WiFi (its amazing how many nicer hotels out there still don't offer this to their clients). Ernies Bar inside the hotel is a nice low key place to finish out the night, the drinks were cheap and the bartender was very nice.

My biggest complaint was the mattresses. The room I was in had a cheap Sealy that was horrible, it was way too firm. Just by looking at it you could tell it was already worn out and old. This is something they really need to look into updating.

Overall It was a decent stay, however I probably won't be staying here again unless they do something about the mattresses. I could barely sleep, and woke up feeling sore and tired.

2 Thank mm54943
CrockettGM, General Manager at Crockett Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Thank you for providing us with valuable feedback after your recent stay. We embrace the responses from our guests so we can continually improve our operations in ways that matter most to our guests

We are encouraged that your found the hotel to be a good experience and a good value in a great location in downtown San Antonio.

We appreciate your comments on the bed in your room. All beds in the hotel were purchased new with our most recent renovation and are less than 5 years old. All are Sealy Posture-pedic models, specifically made for the hospitality industry. They are of a middle of the road, moderate firmness (which may be too soft for some, too hard for others).

We will keep your comments in mind when we next plan for mattress replacements. Thank you again for being our guest and helping to provide feedback on your stay.
Crossville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Had never been to San Antonio before. Driving thru the city looking for the hotel we were surprised when we saw an old sign. Little worried, we hoped the hotel wasn't as worn as the sign. The sign became charming when we found the hotel. The location turned out to be fantastic. The Alamo was right across the street city very walkable. The hotel was unique and charming. Rooms were nice, clean and comfortable. Service was good. We didn't need much. The valet was very patient. My kids seemed to have forgotten everything in the car and only remembered it one thing at a time. The pool area was fun and clean. The provided breakfast was good. All in all I was very happy to have stayed here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
We really appreciate your recent review of the Crockett Hotel. We are so happy that you found our historic, boutique hotel...tucked just behind the historic ALAMO mission.

Our iconic green neon sign on the roof has been drawing tourists' attention since the hotel opened in 1909. It is a labor of love to keep it glowing each night. We hope to see a renovation of the sign in the near future....possibly to a modern LED solution, that looks as it does now, but potentially saving energy costs.

We hope you return to stay with us again, and that our sign attracts many others in the future.
McKinney, Texas
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Love everything about this hotel! The location is perfect and the hotel has amazing historic energy!!! The Crockett Hotel and Menger Hotel are owned by the same people. The rooms are larger at the Crockett. I read several reviews that said the Crockett was noisy, but our room was right above the bar and lobby and was much more quiet than some 5-star hotels that we've stayed at. I can't imagine paying $100 a night for a room, located within walking distance of the Riverwalk, with the cleanliness and atmosphere of the Crockett and writing a bad review. We had planned to stay at a bed and breakfast, but there was not availability...but we are so happy we stumbled upon the Crockett. My boyfriend and I honestly loved everything about this place and will most definitely stay here during all future stays in San Antonio!

Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

It really saddens me to write this review... I want to say only good things... But we were fairly dissapionted in our recent stay. The room was awesome-large, clean, etc... But so many small things were just not up to par. Check-in was difficult- we had requested a mini fridge (which was in the room, no problem there). When given the total for our stay, I SPECIFICALLY asked the desk staff if the total included cost for fridge... Yes, I was told... Card was processed, then I was told that she wasn't sure if fridge was included or not, so she needed to re-run my card for fridge- then I should check my records... & if I was overcharged, I should contact them to fix it later... REALLY?!? You can't tell if I've been charged the right amount- that's kind of your job, isn't it?!? Also, they did not provide us with enough breakfast tickets... Ironically, the day we ran out of tickets, our door keys quit working. We figured that she must have gotten our check-out date wrong in the system (even though we were charged for the correct amount of nights!)... When having to re-key our cards, it was an over 20 minute wait, due to the line in front of us... NOT a good experience- the bar was still nice, breakfast has gone downhill in quality from last year (I know that breakfast is a difficult thing to do, but really- warm milk & cottage cheese- we were afraid to ingest them, actually...but they did try, & a free morning meal is nice-)... Pool area was still enjoyable, but busy (NOT the hotel's fault)- could have been cleaner, & there were unattended, underaged children there many times... Again, not really the hotel's fault, but- if you have rules posted & guests inform you that the rules are being broken... MORE THAN ONCE- why is nothing done?!? We returned to the Crockett because we have had GREAT, OUTSTANDING service & stays in the past. We were REALLY looking forward to a nice, relaxing stay while on vacation... If this had been my 1st stay here, I would NOT be coming back... As it stands, we will prob give them one more chance. Maybe we just caught them at a bad time... But if service does not improve, I'm afraid that our affair w/the Crockett is over... :-(

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank cdh713
CrockettGM, General Manager at Crockett Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. We are very appreciative that you have stayed with us several times in the past and were encouraged enough to come back as our guest.

We strive everyday to exceed our guests expectations. As a team, we feel badly when we fail in these efforts. We know each guest visit is an accumulation of customer/staff interactions and experieinces, and we are only as good as any one of these events. In this stay, it seems that we missed expectations in a number of areas. For this we sincerely apologize.

We will certainly share your experience with all of our staff so that we can improve our operations for future guests. We remain committed to making the Crockett Hotel a great choice for guests looking for a unique hotel in the heart of a great city. And we will improve so that experiences such as you recently had are minimized and your confidence in us will be restored.
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Don't plan on getting any sleep while your here, day or night. There's too much noise inside the hotel to ever sleep. If someone is in the hallway you are going to hear them. The location is great, close to the Riverwalk, The Alamo, the IMAX. but inside the hotel doors are alway slamming. The air wakes you up when it comes on and when it cuts off. Again, it's nice but don't plan on ever sleeping

Room Tip: Stay someplace else