“NEW NAME AND RESTAURANT”

Barron's Restaurant - The Sheraton Gunter Hotel
Cuisines: American
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Visit our new location Market on Houston.
MEXICO
“NEW NAME AND RESTAURANT”
Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

The Restaurant name is Market in the fantastic Gunter Hotel. Is a new and modern concept withe great bar, and a wine store inside the restaurant. The Chef is really good and the staff friendly and professional. Is going to be a Hot Spot in San Antonio . Very good American Food. It has a terrace, just in front of the Majestic Theater.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank PETERMEX

San Antonio, Texas
“What a loss.”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

My husband and I are locals. We have long regarded the pasta bar as something special, and we have used it several times as celebration breakfast/lunch place. In the last year, we have both taken jobs that meant our opportunities to go were very limited, as they only had the pasta during the week at midday, and we always worked at that time.

A couple days ago was our fifth anniversary. One of the first thing we put on our list to do to celebrate was the pasta bar and we were really looking forward to it. We always enjoy the pasta, and the beautiful hotel itself, with all its antique touches that we love to contemplate and study.

We were crushed to find out that the pasta bar has been completely taken out. It seems to have been replaced by ordinary food, just regular eggs and salads and soups from what we could see. We didn't stay, but the waitress showed us their shiny new electronic menu, which she seemed to be much more enthused about than the food.

The lobby was done over in white, with colored lights. All the little touches we used to enjoy were gone. Everything has been done over to make it look "fresh" and "new," but they have removed everything -- everything-- that made this place special. It's not unique anymore. It looks like a nice hotel, certainly, but for those of us who knew it before the renovations, it is a loss.

One more thing I noticed. It used to have *some* older employees. It seems they, too, have been replaced by "fresh" and "new" faces. Some of those people we had seen there for years, and had been there on every visit we made. I don't know if they are still there, working someplace I didn't see, but every single person I saw looked under 30.

We had always planned one day, on a special occasion, to stay overnight here and get to just walk down to the pasta bar, as well as do some of the other things that were offered. That will never happen now. This place is no longer on our radar, for anything, and we are sad.

It made for a very, very sad start to what should have been a happy day. And I have since looked online, and all the official websites for the place still show it as it was, still claim the pasta bar. That is even worse, as even had we not made the mistake of just assuming it was still there, had we actually looked, it would have appeared as though nothing had changed.

Change for the sake of change isn't a good thing. I pity the people who come in and have no idea how wonderful the place used to be. I will miss the food, the staff members who, as rare as we got the chance to come, always remembered us, the antiques, the atmosphere, and the gift shop, which is also gone.

Goodbye, Pasta Bar/Buffet. You will be missed!

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank 795melissaj
San Antonio, Texas
“Poor Service and Below-Average Food”
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Stopped here for quick drink and food prior to show at Majestic. Service was terrible (even though the Manger came in/out numerous times) and food was very poor quality. Only 5 of us at bar and had to waive bartender down to get a drink. People at tables had to come to bar to order drinks as wait-staff did not serve adequately.

Too bad -- very nice place but many were experiencing poor service and left quickly. The Manager never engaged any of the customers and just walked back and forth. Will never go back!

• Visited March 2014
“Great restaurant”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Gunter this past weekend and enjoyed a dinner at Barron's. The waitstaff was very accomodating and the food was great. I had broiled salmon and my husband dined on steak. We highly recommend this hotel!

Visited August 2013
Lancaster, California
“Queens Pageant Week July 22 - 27, 2013”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We looked all over for a normal breakfast & this was awesome a breakfast buffet with an omelet station using whole eggs or egg whites your choice & all kinds of fixings, the people were very welcoming, the atmosphere was super so good that we carried on a conversation with the table next to us! The employees were really something the server Nancy really knows her job & how to treat the guests I would recommend this restaurant very highly we ate there every morning after we found this restaurant. Which we found this on the 3rd day of our trip we stayed till July 30th.
My daughter was in the Miss America National Teen pageant which is what brought us to San Antonio. I can't picture anyone in Texas being rude. I love the state and the people are all so awesome!

• Visited July 2013