“They are just phoning it in and taking people's money on the Riverwalk”

Rita's on the River
Ranked #156 of 4,633 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Delicious Tex-Mex is only the beginning! From wonderful sizzling fajitas to world-famous margaritas and plenty of other options, Rita's on the River has become popular on the River Walk as the place "Where we take our friends from out of town." Complete with live mariachis, indoor and patio seating along the river, we serve up delicious local favorites. We are located only three blocks from the Alamo and offer stairs and an elevator to assist you from the street level down to the river level. Bring the whole family and enjoy the complete Tex-Mex River Walk experience at Rita's on the River!
Dayton, Texas, United States
“They are just phoning it in and taking people's money on the Riverwalk”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We expected this place to be good considering the location. I feel like they have sacrificed quality and service just to maximize profits and take advantage of the Riverwalk patrons. It took about twenty minutes for someone to finally come and greet us and take our drink orders. Then another twenty to actually get the drinks. The food was bland generic canned mexican food. You can tell that nothing is made fresh nor is it authentic. Taste like Old El Paso canned food. We won't be going back. The place inside the Rivercenter Mall was WAY better.

2 Thank Billy H

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Awful!”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stopped here for appetizers and drinks. The queso was so thick that we could hardly get our chips in it. And it tasted like old Velveta cheese without any spices that had sat around for some time. The iced tea was definitely old. They either never clean their ice tea containers or they pour fresh tea over old tea.

2 Thank Kim R
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
“Super food, service, beverages, and value in the river walk.”
Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

While strolling along the river walk in San Antonio find time to stop ay Rita's.
Christian was our server. I am gluten free due to celiacs and Christian advised me of what was safe. He made an outstanding chicken dish for me. My husband had enchilada and said it was the best he ever had. As you sit and enjoy the great food, you can watch the activity on the riverwalk.
The food is prepared fresh.
The only part that might be a bit uncomfortable is that the birds and ducks want to join your meal. But you do have the choice to sit inside.

Enjoy!!

• Visited May 2012
Audubon, Iowa
“Sharing food”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I dined alone on the veranda by the riverwalk. Near the end of my meal, my waiter brought the dinners for a table of 4 guests near me. After giving them their food, he checked the tables in his area and asked me if I was through with my chips and salsa. I said yes. He took my chips and salsa and put them on the empty serving tray. I then noticed he had 2 other baskets of chips on the serving tray and was putting all the chips from my basket and the other 2 baskets into one basket. He then gave the basket with consolidated chips, along with my bowl of salsa to newly arrived guests at a table behind a pillar post--they were unable to witness what he'd done. I was APPALLED! My waiter's name was Jason H.

3 Thank Rhonda S
“It wasn't awesome .... Just As expected”
Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

Dinned here during Fiesta. Food was very average Mexican cuisine. Was looking for fresh authentic fare. Didn't find it here. The house margarita was ok but have had better. Of course you are right on the river which adds some flare but again it isn't that WOW you might be able to find elsewhere.

1 Thank Sugieman