“Nice English Atmosphere”

Ranked #173 of 4,625 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: We are located right on the SAN ANTONIO RIVERWALK, directly under the SAN ANTONIO HYATT REGENCY HOTEL.Unlike other SAN ANTONIO BARS & CLUBS, MadDogs is an AUTHENTIC BRITISH theme pub. We offer a full range of draft & bottled IMPORTED BEERS, ice cool exotic cocktails and extensive domestic beverage options. We are situated on the VERY BEST Riverwalk Location; our tropical terrace nestles on the banks of The River itself. The uninterrupted tranquility allows options for relaxing with a ‘cold one’ or simply people watching as the Riverwalk tourists bustle by. Either way you can’t avoid enjoying our LITTLE PIECE OF BRITAIN, whilst basking in the South Texas sun.
Johnson City, Tennessee
“Nice English Atmosphere”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Anytime we are in San Antonio we have to stop by Mad Dogs for a cold English beer. We are vegetarians and we enjoy their English vegetarian selection on their menu. They will usually turn on a particular ballgame for us to enjoy while there at the bar. The service is always very good and we enjoy hanging out there. We like their assortment of sweatshirts and t-shirts and have several to wear at home.

• Visited November 2013

Fairhope, Alabama
“Nice views”
Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

Mad Dogs has dome good beers and some average food. It is right on River Walk and the waitresses all wear really short plaid skirts. If you aren't distracted, you should check your pulse. I liked the decor, even though it was touristy.

Coloradp
“About What You Might Expect”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I stopped in here on 11/3/13 to watch Sunday football games as the sports bar that was recommended to me, The Ticket, was jammed. I sat at the back bar and the bartender, Nicole, was friendly and engaging. I had the fish & chips which were good but on my scale F&C are either good or they're not so they were adequate. I have to agree with some other posters that some of the waitstaff have an attitude. I think the attitude is "we're wearing these short little skirts and are kinda cute so we'll get to you when we get to you". There seemed to be a couple of these young girls who really didn't have a role other than to wear the uniform and try to look cute. I stopped in a couple days later just to have a beer as I was walking the Riverwalk and sat at the main bar. The bartender, a brunette whose name I don't recall, barely gave me the time of day. She was too busy trying to be cute for a couple of guys at the end of the bar who obviously were hoping they had a shot at her and she played them up. But I thought she was unprofessional the way she handled it. I'm never excited about bartenders/waitstaff who use profanity - in her case it was an effort to make her persona attractive to the guys who were flirting with her - probably hoping she'd get a nice tip from them. Meanwhile, my beer is empty. It was what I expected given their motif.

• Visited November 2013
Reading, Pennsylvania
“Severe attitude”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Save your time. We tried to get a few drinks there last weekend, hostess told us the front bar was full but to head to the back bar. We waited 15 minutes and no bartender in sight. But I counted 5 servers walk by us and not a single " are you being helped". There are tons of places to eat and drink on the Riverwalk that appreciate your business, I'd recommend avoiding this place as it's obvious they didn't care. Too bad, the place seemed pretty cool inside.

Visited November 2013
Hagerstown, MD
“Average”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

The servers here have always had attitude based upon at least four visits over two years. This trip was no exception. Our server was competent but rarely came by to check on us. They missed out on additional beer sales because of this. Other servers were observed ignoring customers.

The food has always been good but this time the fish and chips were very soggy. The scotch eggs appetizer were good. The person delivering the food just set it down without saying a word. Odd.

On previous visits, you could sit outside and see the river views but on this visit, they had fabric covering the clear plexiglass panels blocking all views of the river walk.

• Visited October 2013