“Fantastic and inexpensive look at a wonderful collection”

Briscoe Western Art Museum
and up
Half Day San Antonio Morning Grand Historic Tour
Ranked #13 of 266 things to do in San Antonio
Reviewed September 3, 2014

I visited the Briscoe Western Art Museum and just loved it. I loved the admission fee - only $5 with discounts for seniors, students, and military (vets and dependents, too). The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. The collection of art and artifacts were amazing - the Alamo diorama was incredible. There are three floors and easy to get around. You can't get lost. I would highly recommend going to anyone who is interested in history and western art.

There are newer reviews for Briscoe Western Art Museum

Reviewed September 2, 2014

small and aspiring museum worth a short hour or two--if your interested in a great western museum go to cody wyoming

1  Thank jefffairfax
Reviewed August 25, 2014

Admission was $5 or less per person. There were three floors of western artifacts. From the wagon train and stage coach, to the art exhibits, saddles and spurs to the Native American clothing, every piece had a part of history. The exhibits were laid out very well. There were places to sit and listen to music, as well as a reenactment of the battle of the Alamo with recorded stories for different people in the battle. Very well worth the money.

Reviewed August 23, 2014

I visit the local art museums wherever i go and i consider this as impressive as many larger ones. I love western art. If you do as well, you cannot miss this beautiful collection! Another bonus is that it is on the Riverwalk.

Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

We arrived as they opened on Sunday morning at 10 am. We were dressed as tourists and wanted to go in but made the mistake of asking if they had a bathroom so my husband could wash his hands-well that was the beginning of the end!!!! They informed us they had no bathrooms and we would have to go across to the USO. So we left and my husband walked over there but they didn't open til noon. Since we were only two blocks from the Hilton on the river where we were staying, we walked back.
We went back to the museum about 15 minutes later to again get our tickets because we wanted to see the art! I stated I couldn't believe they didn't have a bathroom! That is when Dumb & Dumber (2 women at the ticket area) said, oh, you have to be a paying customer! Well that is what we were trying to do the first time but they never bothered to tell us. If that had been the end, we would have gone on in, but Dumber was told 2 seniors and she just sat there! No expression, no "I'm sorry for the confusion"- NOTHING! That is when we told them we would make sure others knew of their poor customer service on Trip Advisor! And we left!
If we had been dressed as homeless we could have maybe understood but everyone deserves to be treated as you would like to be treated and if so, find your art somewhere else - this is not the place for you!!

4  Thank texas423
BriscoeMuseum, Guest Relations Manager at Briscoe Western Art Museum, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience. I apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused you. Due to our central Downtown location we are regularly approached about the use of our facilities. Being that we are a private institution we are forced to limit bathroom access to patrons only because of the value and significance of the Museum’s collections. I regret that we weren’t able to do more to accommodate you and that as a result of this miscommunication you decided not to visit the Museum, but I hope that in the future you will consider giving us a second chance. If you decide to give us another try, please do not hesitate to contact me directly so that I can ensure that your experience with the Museum is a positive one.

Jenna Gonzales