“Totally Average Burger”

Babe's Old Fashion Hamburgers
Ranked #521 of 4,714 Restaurants in San Antonio
Reviewed December 17, 2013

I love a good burger and a local friend recommended Babe’s. Here you order at the counter, take a seat, and wait for your name to be called. Burgers are cooked on a flat top in full view of the restaurant. I ordered an “old fashioned burger,” onion rings, and a bottle of grape soda. I was impressed that I was able to get something besides the standard colas with my meal. They also have a large selection of bottled beers in the refrigerated case behind the counter. There is a large seating area with several TVs, all of which were tuned to sports while we were there. We had a long wait for our food. Several people who came in after us got their food while we were still waiting. We were starting to think they had forgotten our order when our name finally was called. My burger wasn’t terrible and wasn’t good; it was completely ordinary. It didn’t have much flavor, but at least it didn’t have a bad flavor. Onion rings were cut way too thin, so they were mostly breading with very little onion. Most weren’t even in ring shape. They were more like onion strings than onion rings, and I don’t care for those. Overall, I wasn’t impressed and I’m not likely to go back.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

I usually make a beeline for Chris Madrid's when I crave a burger in San Antonio, but we were hungry and one of our former friends had heard good things about Babe's. Since we were nearby, we pulled into Babe's on Huebner expecting a great burger and onion rings.

We both ordered the Old Fashion Burger "all the way," figuring this was their signature product. Their onion rings were recommended by said former friend, so we ordered a basket along with soft drinks. We sat outside in the patio area since it was a lovely, mid 70's afternoon in spite of being Feb 1st. Gotta love San Antonio winter weather.

Well, we sat outside and sat outside and sat outside some more, enjoying the day and each other. Finally, someone came out with our tray, maybe 20 - 25 minutes after we ordered.

The meat (or whatever that was between the buns) was dry, cold, thin (maybe a bit short of 1/8-inch thick) and more or less tasteless. Sort of like you would expect from one of those "Five Burgers for a Buck" joints, but with a full-size sesame seed bun instead of a silver dollar-sized bun. The pickles were good, the bun was fresh off the bread aisle at the supermarket and, I have to admit, the ketchup was quite tasty. The onion rings, however, turned out to be onion mush - cold, greasy mush. Stringy, wilted onion pieces (not rings) drowned in thick, white batter which mostly had fallen away from the stringy, wilted onion pieces, and lots and lots of grease. All nicely chilled to an inedible masterpiece.

To give the benefit of any doubt, perhaps we caught them on a bad day, I don't know. But I do know we'll never be back to Babe's.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

My family and I frequent Babes on Huebner Road. The staff are extremely friendly, and the food is very good. The fried pickles and onion rings are some of the better ones we've had, and we go to various restaurants many times. The burgers are good; the fried chicken salad is excellent, as are all the salads. We will defiinitely keep eating there.