All reviewslazy rivertime sharecamp armadillosea worldfull kitchenmedia roomrattlesnake riverbedroom unitjb's restaurantfire pitblock partyheight requirementsister resortwater volleyballindoor outdoor poolhill countrygreat resort
Reviewed August 13, 2018 via mobile

We visited this past weekend and the condo we were place in was old and not so clean! We couldn’t sit on sofa without cushions falling off.
The cleaning service left a huge cart full of towels by our door. There was a towel with blood on top! Yuk!!! We were on end unit -Mesquite Building and construction at 3am behind us. No sleep for me!

1  Thank Z1steelers
mikemcmahon2017, General Manager at Hyatt Residence Club San Antonio, Wild Oak Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2018

Dear Z1steelers,

I would like to thank for you taking the time to provides us with your feedback regarding your stay with us. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. I would like to invite you to contact me at mike.mcmahon@hyattvoi.com, so I can personally apologize to you. I would like to get better understanding of your unit location to see why a cart would be located outside your unit. Once again, thank you for your feedback and I hope to be able to offer a personal apology and discuss your experience with you. Sincerely, Mike McMahon

Reviewed August 12, 2018 via mobile

I think this place could be nice for a family with young kids who wants to self-cater their meals; it is definitely a bad choice for couples looking for a quiet, romantic getaway. And it’s a terrible, awful choice for people who are easily sold things they don’t need.

The lazy river was great - not at all crowded on tax-free weekend - and the kids seemed to be having a good time.

You can also use the water park at the adjacent Hyatt Hill Country, but while that resort was bigger and nicer, it was at least 5x more crowded, which made it less enjoyable.

This place is basically a mid-level apartment rental with a good water complex.

Pros:
- Lazy river and pools are well landscaped (think nice trees, rock formations, and manicured grass), well maintained, and not crowded
- Our studio in the newest building was attractively furnished and clean
- Plenty of free self-parking

Cons:
- The time share sales pitch is very aggressive
- The rooms are loud; you can hear everything from a child’s laughter to a child’s screams to even the running of a shower
- There are very limited on-site dining options
- The arcade, billiards, air hockey, etc. require quarters (and the quarter machine wasn’t even working)
- No daily housekeeping
- Slow internet during peak times (morning, afternoon, evening)

Let me explain the timeshare sales pitch.

We booked a 3-night stay for a low rate through an offer we received as World of Hyatt members. As such, we were already obligated to attend a 1.5 hour presentation. I’m in my early 30s and had never been to such a presentation and was genuinely interested to see what it was all about and why anyone would ever buy a timeshare.

**Be Warned** Even if you do not reserve this place knowing you have to attend a sales pitch, they will find a way to convince you to do it (i.e. you just book it at Hyatt.com or on TripAdvisor like you would any hotel).

At check-in, they tell you to go see the “Concierge” for a free tote and activity recommendations. The Concierge’s main job is to book you for a sales pitch by offering you an incentive like 10k Hyatt points or $100 off of in-room charges.

Before I continue, let me point out that if you’re reading this review, you have time to learn about timeshares before you get put into this situation.

Just google, “should I buy a timeshare” or anything like that, and you’ll see that 90% of articles are about what a terrible idea it is to buy a timeshare. In fact, there are more than 100 time shares available listed for sale at this very resort, because owners were suckered into buying and now want out.

The sales pitch should really start out with, “This is not an investment. It will lose money. It will cost more than staying in a hotel. It will likely not serve your vacation needs. However, you do get your name on a paper deed, which will require you to pay exorbitant, annual maintenance fees.”

The first sales lady was pleasant, but was really just going through her spiel as opposed to tailoring her pitch to us - to be fair, it wasn’t possible for her to tailor her pitch since timeshares just don’t match our type of travel needs/ desires at all (couple without kids, international, full-service hotels in walkable, urban areas, etc).

Anyhow, after about an hour of us saying that it wouldn’t work for us (“no”), she relented and said she could let us go and give us our gift for sitting for the presentation.

But back in the lobby, she said that—actually—since we didn’t sit for the full 90 minutes, we couldn’t get our free gift. So we said, “well, let’s finish the ‘tour!’”

They call it a tour. They promised another family with kids a 20-minute golf cart ride that we never got, and I was really looking forward to it.

How much does a Hyatt Residence Club timeshare cost, you wonder? It’s $20 per point plus $0.80 per point per year in maintenance fees. It seems like a week at an average location costs about 800 points.

Housekeeping, coffee packets, choosing your room, etc. are additional “a la carte fees.” And 10-year on-site financing is available for 13.9% for Tier 1 credit.

Residence Club points can be transferred to World of Hyatt for use at Hyatt Hotels and Resorts (for an additional fee) at the rate of about 1.9 cents per point (or generally more than what it would cost you to just pay cash). I think the minimum buy-in was $20k, but they were trying to sell us on a $55k plan.

Anyhow, the sales pitch worked three primary angles: 1) You deserve to vacation 2) You should own instead of rent 3) We have a really good deal for you TODAY ONLY.

It’s funny to me that the sales lady drew a pyramid on a sheet of paper to try to highlight the first and second sales points.

Let me tell you about the deal available only TODAY. Their first offer was 50k World of Hyatt points, which I value at about $1,000.

A thousand dollar sign up bonus isn’t bad except for that whole thing about getting anchored with a depreciating, $50k timeshare that came with $2k in annual maintenance fees and 13.9% financing and essentially no value at Hyatt Hotels.

So then she brought in her boss, Jeff who had a better offer, 250k World of Hyatt Points! Wow-eee! He said, “how many points do you have right now? What if I offer you 250k points?” Now that’s got my attention. $5000 in points for signing up today?!

Well, the math still didn’t sound good. So he came back with an even better offer - 350k Hyatt Points (about $7k). Wow, $7,000 off of MSRP! How could I not accept that offer?!

Jeff was likewise flabbergasted. “Man, you’re making a big mistake!” I thought, “what are you going to offer next Jeff? A free, gently used Kia compact?”

I looked at my watch, it was exactly 90 minutes, and I said, “Jeff, you’re making us upset. We’ve upheld our end of the bargain, now you should uphold yours and let us go.”

And he did let us go.

But how many people do they con every day? If you look online, you’ll see that there are more than 100 timeshares at Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch for sell by their unfortunate owners who want to get out.

After this unpleasant experience, I went back to the room to research timeshares. I honestly think they should be strictly regulated - no high pressure sales pitches, no false promises of investment value, and full disclosure about existing owner (dis)satisfaction and projected depreciation.

I definitely think that Hyatt should not cross-sell timeshares to their World of Hyatt loyalty members, as the demographics of these types of customers are almost certainly completely different.

And finally, while I know that every major hotel brand including Starwood, Marriott, and Hilton offer timeshares, this experience definitely lowered my perception of the Hyatt brand.

Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple
4  Thank shellzj
Reviewed August 10, 2018 via mobile

We have stayed here several times. My teens and I enjoy the amenities here and the closeness of the lazy river/pool area. The lazy river allows for a more relaxing afternoon. The food at pool side and drinks are tasty!! Mr. Paul at the pool hut was extremely kind and his service was excellent.

Stayed: August 2018, traveled with family
mikemcmahon2017, General Manager at Hyatt Residence Club San Antonio, Wild Oak Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Darlene H,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are glad to hear you and your family have enjoyed the amenities we have to offer. We hope that you will continue to come and stay with us in the near future. Sincerely, Mike McMahon

Reviewed August 8, 2018

The Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch is one of the best resorts my family and I have ever stayed at. From the beautiful, exceptionally groomed, clean grounds, and all the Amenities that are provided to you at no additional cost. This is a five star resort in my opinion. Everyone you meet from check in through check out are nothing short of stellar. We love this resort and highly recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed: July 2018, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear blmeis,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are glad to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. Our associates work hard to provide our guest with an exceptional experience. We hope you and your family will come back and stay with us again. Sincerely, Mike McMahon

Reviewed August 6, 2018 via mobile

I am a seasoned traveler and have stayed in resorts both big and small, all over the world. This place boasts class and service but it delivers like a cheap motel. For starters, we were called by Walter, a concierge, a day before our arrival to see if there was anything extra we needed in the room when we arrived. We told him lots of towels, conditioner and coffee. He agreed to have our requests taken care of.
We arrived to our room and nothing was there that we requested. Why bother calling to ask if you aren’t going to do anything anyway?!
The first night we had neighbors banging on the doors at midnight, waking everyone up, and then they proceeded to try to get their way through the adjoining door to our room. Scared the hell out of me and my kids. Called front desk the next morning and they agreed to move us, even said they’d send housekeeping to move our stuff, and they’d be up in 5-10 minutes. We waited and waited and had to call four times to check status, and the kids missed all the activities they wanted to go to because we were waiting. We finally decided to take our stuff out ourselves and about the time we were stepping out of our door, housekeeping walked up and handed us a key. I asked what building we were going to and he said Live Oak and started to walk off. I asked if he was going to help us and he looked at me puzzled and said “you guys need help?”. Um, yes, that was the plan. He then acted confused again and said he’d see if he could find someone to help us, hen walked away. At that point we lugged our stuff to the car and drove to the Live oak building were we walked in circles with our luggage trying to find our new room, only to find out it was actually in the Mesquite building!!! Our new room was nice, and larger. After our second call to get the items that Walter had asked us if we needed, the extra amenities arrived. The head of housekeeping even came to apologize for the first mishap and brought the boys milk and cookies, which I appreciated, it definitely didn’t give us the time back to do all the activities that the boys had wanted to do, but it was a nice gesture. We had stayed at this resort, after all, because it was supposedly child friendly and had activities for the kids. So far, we had not been able to take part in any of it. We decided to head to the lazy river, which was extremely short, but the boys somewhat enjoyed it. There are only so many times you can go around in a circle that takes a short couple minutes and you’re back again. We decided to head to the main pool because the boys wanted to ride the waterslides. They have always enjoyed the big waterslide at the other Hyatt Hill country resort but we found here that the height requirements only allowed one of our boys to slide, and the other was 1/2” too short, which caused issues. They kept asking why they could ride at the other hotel but not here. Anyway, we decided to take the boys to play games in the game room. Horrible. Hardly anywhere working, no prizes in claw machines, one of the machines that was somewhat working kept taking our money. The boys were soooo disappointed!
We decided to eat at JBs, and enjoyed the meal. I decided to pay for dinner on my credit card, so we would not be charged on the room since that part was on a different card. Come to find out, they charged both the card AND the room! We didnt notice at checkout because we were in a rush to get to a family funeral, but caught it once we got home and reviewed the bill. I can’t believe his place!! To top it all off, the last night we were woken again about 11pm to our new neighbor and his wife having some domestic dispute in the doorway. Screaming, begging, the whole works. I was just glad it was our last night.
I have never been happier to leave a place. What was supposed to be a relaxing getaway with grandma and the kids turned into a nightmare of poor service, over charging, missed activities for the kids and just plain scary hotel occupants. I have never been scared at a hotel before (and I’ve stayed everywhere), but this place takes the cake. NEVER again. NEVER! Complete waste of our vacation and our money. Such a disappointment!

3  Thank pamelaL74