$153
$179
$175
Hotel Contessa
  • Pool
Omni La Mansion del Rio(San Antonio)
$207
$239
Hotels.com
$419
Hyatt.com
All reviewslazy rivertime sharecamp armadillofull kitchensea worldmedia roomrattlesnake riverbedroom unitjb's restaurantfire pitblock partyheight requirementsister resortwater volleyballindoor outdoor poolhill countrygreat resort
Reviewed March 23, 2009

My wife and I with our 2 boys ages 9 and 11, stayed here 3/17 thru 3/20. Kids loved the heated pools including the 850 ft. lazy river that was heated for spring break. This was our second stay here. I speny most my time in one of the 3 hot tubs. They also have a steam room and sauna room. We will definitely be back. Can't beat the price for what you get.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank rgriggs
Reviewed February 26, 2009

We were with our kids and my husband had to work one of the days so it was perfect for myself and the kids to sit by the pool, use the waterslides and float in the lazy river. It was the first hotel where the pool was even better than the internet pictures and this was a huge selling point for my family. The other hotels we visited in San Antonio had small pools that weren't heated and the kids were disappointed that they couldn't swim. JB's was close and perfect for lunch. We would have eaten dinner there but it did close early. Luckily we had a full kitchen with food so it was fine. The rooms were big, we had a 1 bedroom. I do wish the bedroom had 2 queens to accomodate a family. We used the 1 King and pull out couch. There was also a washer and dryer which is helpful with a family. The staff was friendly and helpful. If we went back this is where we (as a family) would stay. It was only a 20-25 minute drive into downtown San Antonio. It was quiet at night but perfect for my family as they were tired from a full day of swimming.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank MAamyp
Reviewed February 24, 2009

We came to San Antonio to visit family and exchanged our timeshare with Westgate to come to the Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch. Best decision! This resort is beautiful and immaculate. We came with 4 children under 10 and our in laws. We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite on the 3rd floor. The view of the city in the distance was great. The unit is beautiful with granite countertops, large flat screen tv, beautiful master bath with jacuzzi tub and a large master bedroom. Our kids were very comfortable in a spacious second bedroom with full bath. I did find the beds to be a bit hard but other than that the room was excellent.
The pool areas are beautiful and you can swim from the outdoor pool into the inside pool via a bridge. Our kids loved the waterslides and the splash zone. The indoor hot tub isn't as good as it could be but the outdoor tub is huge and very nice although both hot tubs were kept way too hot (104). The lazy river is awesome but not heated so very cold this time of year. The resort was empty so it seemed like we had the place to ourselves. The beach was really nice with comfy chairs, loungers and covered hammocks. There is also a park for the kids which they enjoyed. They attended some craft programs at Camp Armadillo but they were the only kids in attendance. The same went for most programs. We tried Bingo but were the only ones and went to Poker Night but only one other person. It is clearly low season for this resort. We were told that in the summer the place is a zoo.
We also enjoyed the private campfire pits that they light for you asap.
The media room contains a giant screen tv, small library that you can borrow books from and 2 computers with free internet access.
We also used the fitness room which was adequate for my use.
Service was fine at the resort, they always tried to assist me with any concerns or questions.
We did not dine at the restaurant as I had read disappointing reviews.
We attended an owners breakfast which was yummy and there was no pressure sale presented to us which we were worried about.
As for the location it is 20 minutes to the riverwalk and there is not much around for dining but that wasn't important to us. I would not want to be right in the city anyways, i was actually disappointed in San Antonio except for the river walk.
Next time I would visit in March or April as the weather is unpredictable in February. Also Seaworld does not open until the end of Feb. so that was disappointing.
We had a fabulous time and would absolutely return to this resort.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank wannabeabeachbum
Reviewed February 19, 2009

Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch is a Hyatt Vacation Club property that also rents rooms by the night. We were there for two nights because we had received an invitation for a cheap package if we did the timeshare tour. It was a very good value deal.

However, I can't say I really recommend this place. It is not a country resort at all because it is located in the San Antonio suburbs, close to Seaworld.

When we checked in, the receptionist asked us which floor would we like to be on. We asked what he recommended and he said that the 1st floor was convenient but the 3rd floor had the best views. We chose the 3rd floor. The first room we went to had stunning views over - the parking lot! So we changed rooms and then got a stunning view of the suburbs and the freeway (and boy was that freeway noisy). Please see my pictures. I would suggest you stay on the 1st floor where you overlook landscaping and trees and thus can maintain the illusion that you are in the country.

I can't say I was overly impressed with our studio room. There was a nice big bathroom which could have easily accommodated a big tub, but the tub was narrow and shallow. The bed was one of the most uncomfortable I have slept on in a long time - surprising for a high end chain. On our tour we saw the 1 and 2 bedroom apartments and they were much better appointed, with full kitchens, big flatscreen TV, whirlpool bath and separate walk in shower. I would suggest staying in one of those instead.

The rooms are located in 3 story blocks that look like cheap apartment buildings with a lot of unfinished steel and corrugated steel balcony partitions. It's just not very pretty.

There is a heated indoor/outdoor pool with water slides and an unheated lazy river with a beach and surrounded by hammocks. That was fun and would definitely be good for kids. The kids will also like the gamesroom with its arcade games (but which you have to pay for - a bit cheap for a vacation resort). I also liked the firepit area where there are several wood burning pits which the staff will light for you. For golfers, the resort has its own golf course.

Being a timeshare resort, it doesn't have the bar/restaurant amenities that you would find at a regular resort. There is a smokehouse restaurant that is open for lunch and until 7, that serves perfectly acceptable comfort food. There is also a shop that sells basic food items for your room. There is an actual Hyatt Hotel Resort located about a mile away where you can go for full service dining.

We visited this nearby Hyatt hotel to see how it compared and it is a lot prettier. Also, it has been built in a dip, rather than up on a hill, so you cannot see the suburbs and freeway. I think it is unlikely I would return to Wild Oak, even with a cheap deal, but I can imagine returning to the hotel sometime in the future.

On our final night we went to eat at Grey Moss Inn which is in the village of Grey Forest, about a 25 minute drive into the country. The atmosphere, food, wine list and service was excellent. When you pull into the parking lot and all these little deer scatter off, you are already charmed!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Fifiann
Reviewed December 5, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Wild Oak the week before Thanksgiving. We exchanged our week at Polo Towers Las Vegas through Interval International. We were both favorably impressed by this property . Our one bedroom unit was large and very clean. It had a huge bathroom and large living area in addition to a nice kitchen. It had a nice pool and good, but not excellent, workout area. This place appears geared for kids with a large lazy river, a large playground and a small arcade, but the week before Thanksgiving it was blissfully quiet, all the kiddies in school! The restaurant on site had a good if somewhat limited menu. The front desk staff was excellent, since we are already owners at another property we were not required to listen to any sales pitch.

If there is any negative about this place it may be that it's about a 20 minute drive to the Riverwalk--not exactly a place for the party hearty crowd. I was told that during the summer months it's wall to wall kids. Overall an excellent property for a middle couple seeking a quiet, relaxing vacation.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple