“Hyatt Wild Oak review”

Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch
Ranked #15 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed August 12, 2008

We just returned from the Wild Oak for a 3-day mid week trip, & felt compelled to write a review since we read others here that were very helpful.

It's a very nice place - it almost feels like a new apartment complex as opposed to a hotel, with separate 3-story buildings. More units planned but they're at least 1 year away from doing it - ground not even broken yet on them. Excellent resort for families/kids - the lazy river is long & clean, good little beach area, and there are approx 8 bungalow type spots with hammocks and chairs that are quite relaxing. Then another pool area with tall waterslide, and an indoor pool area with another waterslide, bball hoop, and sauna/steam room and a hottub outside. Also in this rec bldg is a gameroom with avg games(some broken) and decent workout facility.

The pitch - like many we got the Hyatt flier in the mail numerous times, but finally decided to try it out since the price ($49) was so good. That price is for a "studio" which is 1 big room, & we upgraded to a 1 bedroom for $79 per that gave separate rooms.
Here's how it plays out - you go to a "reception room" and there's lots of salespeople (mostly younger college types) and they assign one to you - we were one of approx 10 different families/couples there at 8:30 am. The "rep" asks you some questions about your vacation habits - where, how often, how much budget yearly, etc - bascially to gather info to see if/how you may fit into their program. Then a quick video and "property tour" with a markup/model, and a golf cart ride to see a 2 bdr/2 bath unit. Then it's back to the reception area for a sitdown, where they finally get to the price - they started off at $30k with a certain down payment and this gets you approx 3 weeks per year to be used at any of their locations/partner hotels. Then if you object or laugh out loud they'll scale back and say how about 2 weeks or 1 week - does this fit your budget, is that better, etc?
We said thanks but no thanks it's not for us, and it ended pretty quickly from there. Our guy did bring in his 3rd baseman manager to try to overcome our objections but we just said thanks but no thanks and that was that. You get your "gift" on the way out, which equates to $150 of credit/tickets/food comp, which was worth it for the 90 minute spiel. And it was 90 minutes on the button - if you ask a lot of questions or hem/haw during the final "here's what we can do for you phase", then I could see it lasting longer, but if you stay quiet but polite it goes by quick, and admittedly the idea/pitch makes some bit of sense.

Biggest room for improvement would be the food - JBs is the only offering, and it has standard bar type fare that's very average, but nothing on the menu is over $10 so it's a decent option. And since it is geared toward families, after 9-10 pm there's nothing going on, so expect peace & quiet thereafter, not a party.

All in all a very positive experience that my family loved, and we would return without hesitation.

Stayed: August 2008
6  Thank Deetlejuice

Reviewed August 5, 2008

This was the 4th summer we have gone to Wild Oak Ranch. It is great for my three kids. The pools are wonderful for them and now that my seven year old is tall enough for the water slides it was great. We stayed in the two bedroom suite and with the different rooms and televisions it helped to keep them entertained later in the days when we needed to get out of the sun. We have always enjoyed the full kitchen which allows us to fix meals ourselves and save the money we would typically spend going out to eat. They also have bbq pitts available for you to use. All you have to do is call the front desk and they set up the grill and light it for you. Best of all... The location in comparison to Sea World. If you are going to Sea World during you vacation to San Antonio this is the place to stay. It is literally across the street. We have purchased the two day passes to Sea World and they are easily used because the location is so close. The house keeping services are not as regular as if you were staying in a typical hotel but in my experience it just took a call to the front desk and things were taken care of.

3  Thank klauck
Reviewed July 28, 2008

Went to the Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch over a long weekend ( Thursday - Sunday). Courtesy of this web site and other reviews , I knew it was a time share resort, not a hotel. As we frequently rent apartments on holiday, it was ideal for us, but we don't mind eating in the room. The "room" was a two bedroom apartment and top notch - everything you could need in the kitchen and included a washer dryer. Room was spotless, and I saw the maids mop the floor while I was there! We simply declined to schedule a time share presentation after the gentleman showed us all the items in his folder that was our "gift" for staying with them ( mainly coupons for the resorts), then never gave us the folder. Not sure if it was only ours if we went to the presentation or not. Loved the pools and lazy river, they were a welcome respite after a mobbed sea world.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank travelmom221
Reviewed July 26, 2008

We received an invitation to stay at the resort and hear the timeshare presentation. We've received the invitation several times before and always tossed them in the trash, but decided we'd take them up on it this time since we were going to SeaWorld this week anyway. The studio room was really nice, a king bed and a sofa sleeper for our girls. When we checked in it was about 9:00 pm and the place was pretty deserted. They were cooking smores outside, but you have to buy the kits from the little store there and it closes at 8:00. The kids were really disappointed. The next day we went to Sea World for a couple of hours and then headed back for the presentation. It lasted 3 hours from start to finish. It seemed like a good deal, but we couldn't afford to spend that kind of money. We did receive $150 in gift certificates which we enjoyed later in the week. We would have really enjoyed the pools and lazy river, but unfortunately Hurricane Dolly brought lots and lots of rain and most importantly lightning. We learned one thing while on the tour- it would have been worth it to get the one-bedroom. It was a little extra to reserve, but more than twice as large as a studio room with a full kitchen. Even with the 3 hour presentation, it was worth it.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank kaywoody
Reviewed July 19, 2008

I have to say, really read closely the preceding two poor reviews. Dirty floors? OK, bad but come on, things happen. Dark at night and quiet? Yes, it is quiet at night. Have to take the tour???? No, you do not unless they gave you some sort of deal. We didn't take it and were only asked once.

Now on the my review. We paid cash for a one bedroom unit. Unit was very nice and CLEAN. We were a short walk to the pool areas and we had a slight view of the golf course. We were on the second floor. Room had odditties about it. The bathroom offers no privacy as they have these weird glass doors on the toilet and shower areas. Don't plan on letting the inlaws in there unless you want them seeing you naked........ ODD. Also, the floor plan is weird. In order to enter the bathroom you have to do so through the master or walk all the way back to the front door and turn left into the far end of the bathroom. Very odd layout. Bathroom should be more accessible to the main areas.

Pools/slides are great as is the indoor area with the basketball hoop. We had a blast there with our son. The lazy river is great as well. Get there early and get one of the free Cabanas with the hammocks. PLEASE NOTE: kids must be 48 inches to ride the slides and they do check. EVERYONE must wear a wrist band to slide. My 6 year old is on the tall side for his age and is about 49 inches. Parents with kids 6 and under take note to avoid dissapointment. Some 7 year olds are barely 48 inches.

Food: This is where they lose a star from me. For lunch it is OK at best with a very basic menu with NO Vegetarian choices. This stinks as my wife is a vegetarian. How about a garden burger or a veggie wrap guys???? We got food from HEB (great store) and made our own lunches. At dinner they serve the same menu now. We were told that they had a real dinner menu but the kitchen is so small that they were getting swamped doing anything other than basic fare. WHAT?????? Design the place correctly and you don't have this issue. This really needs to fixed, IMO. Hyatts typically have good food but not here.

Bottom line this is a great choice. We priced our room against a suite at the Hyatt hotel accross the road and it was half the price with a better room with a kitchen. We visited the hotel and it is really pretty drab and the pool/lazy river looks old and dirty. No slides either. We were glad we stayed where we did. Go and enjoy!!!! We are going back for another quick getaway in October.

2  Thank TexasPoppa
Reviewed July 6, 2008

These are not luxury condos. In fact, you get a one day sample of coffee for your $499/night! More importantly, housekeeping is horrible! I stayed there with 3 kids stayed at a one bedroom condo, paid full price. i noticed the first day that my children's feet were black following a shower. I called the main desk, and asked that they clean the tile floor. The next day, same thing. I have pictures and a movie, where I am mopping up black dirt from their tile floor! We cancelled our third night and went back home.
There is absolutely NO value in this property regardless of the lazy river for $499/night. Much better properties elsewhere.
Save your money...
At check out, I handed the towels to them in the photo.
Management contacted me on our way home, I returned their call left a message and have heard nothing since. My sympathy to the owners.

3  Thank sugarlandTX
Reviewed June 29, 2008

My wife and I decided to try this resort mistaking it for the actual Hyatt resort which is right next door. THIS IS A TIMESHARE PROPERTY. As part of your stay you have to listen to thier "90" minute presentation. Ours lasted almost 3 hours. After the sales people go home it feels like the twilight zone. The resort pretty much closes down. It is dark, no lights, nothing is open and its really kinda scary. During the day it is so lively and fake. It so reminded me of the Stepford wives. The poeple were all fake and phony all day long and then after hours it was like driving into a dark apartment complex with nothing at all around. The true hotel which was actually a mile away was so different and lively. They really are not associated with them other than the name Hyatt. The whole thing is just akward. Also my car was broken into on their property the second night and they did absolutely nothing for me. When I spoke to other guests they were gettnig extra nights comp'd, meals, anything as long as they pretended to want to possibly purchase the timeshare. I felt robbed overall spending $250 for my stay, listening to their sales pitch and then getting my car broken into. Do not go it is not worth it. Stay at the regular Hyatt

3  Thank hotwife4me