“Great neighborhood hangout”

Barbaro
Ranked #315 of 4,882 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Pizza
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Stopped by at 11p (sorry Max's, you lost the late night crowd) and found the local neighborhood vibe to be quite pleasant and enjoyable. The thin crust 3 mushroom pizza was good and the rhubarb mule was very good. The dessert was only ok, but the whole effect is quiet pleasant and enjoyable

Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

This is the best pizza I have ever had! The crust is a perfect blend of crunchy/chewy. I always choose from the specialty pizzas, as I feel the chefs know what they are doing! The service is exceptional....this is a must try while in San Antonio!!

Reviewed March 19, 2014

We sat at the bar for a quick bite to eat one evening and decided to try the pizza that people have raved about. The pizza was pretty good but the wait for the pizza was well over an hour. As we were leaving to walk home, we saw that they only had one guy doing pizzas out of one oven. That made the wait more explainable since we must have seen 6-8 pizzas being delivered to other guests before ours. Yes, popular pizza but something should be done about their method of preparation and delivery.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

This pizza became my instant favorite and I will definitely go back if only for take out. It reminds me of pizza in Boston's North End. The sauce and crust are delish! But the parking is awful. Be careful entering the parking lot that is adjacent that apparently is only for patrons of the cookie shop, the bottom of my car scraped the pavement which is way too steep. There is a sign inside or perhaps I read it on a paper that cautions late nite patrons to not get too loud in consideration of the neighbors in this mostly residential area called Monte Vista which some consider still prestigious. The servers and greeter are very hospitable and I found the place welcoming and comfortable despite the self-conscious hipster vibe. My server didn't write down my order and my pizza got messed up but I still ate it without complaint and it was very good. In future I will only go for take out based on the poor parking situation and I will probably stick with the plain cheese or cheese and pepperoni.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

The food was fresh and so was the conversation of friends over rounds or craft beers, pizza pies, and even a can or sardines that one of our group had as an appetizer. Yes, a can of sardines served with lemon wedges and crackers. Just in case this diner decides to leave a review, I won't opine further.
Our waitress, Amanda, was cute as a pixie with service that kept up with our lively pace of consumption (mostly of beer). Great personality and the ability to connect with the customer. Catch her now folks as she is only there for a couple more weeks.
A forgotten (by me) new feature of Barbaro had me ordering a cold-as-I-like-it, 32 oz. schooner of brown ale. That was just the wind in my sails needed to finish off a very good pizza that was half eaten by one of our party as he had scarfed my pizza on arrival by mistake instead of his own that was delivered to me some minutes later out of the kitchen. Being the good guy that he is, he replaced the slices that he had eaten with two of the fresh ones. I actually liked his mushroom pizza a little better for the flavor than my Benton though both were good and I got to try two different pizzas as a result. No complaints there.
Once again the easy, comfortable ambiance of the place made for a most enjoyable lunch with good buds, good food, great service, and some very good craft brews. [Pick the superlative phrase from the appropriate commercial and insert here such as: "It don't get any better than this", or maybe, "Priceless!"]