“There are much better places to eat”

Pearl Inn Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #1,585 of 4,648 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Families with children
Neighborhood: Northwest Side
Austin
“There are much better places to eat”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

The service was hostile, she sat us next to the entry, there was no discussing it, "sit". While the prices were low, so was the quality of the food. It was within walking distance of the hotel.

Visited February 2014

San Antonio, Texas
“Excellent Food, Great Prices!”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I was looking for good Asian food in San Antonio and decided to try the Pearl Inn. There are plenty of Chinese restaurants, but few really good places to eat.

I ordered the combination fried rice and my wife ordered the 4 item delight. Portions were huge and we immediately knew that we each had a least another meal to take home.

The food was excellent. We both tasted both plates and were so pleased that we decided to share. The egg drop soup was heavenly as was the tea.

The waitress was a little on the quiet side but she was very efficient. The tea and water never ran low and food was brought out quickly and hot.

We will return even though the restaurant is easily 20 minutes away from our home. It is nice to have a "go to" place for Asian food again.

• Visited August 2013
San Antonio, Texas
“Get Into Your Zen At The Inn”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Very relaxing dining room; soft on the eyes as well as the ears. Demure colors and nature reflecting artwork are bound to have you slipping into your Zen zone.
Lunch time specials are reasonable, hot and plentiful. I burned the wang out of my tongue on the first bite though (pun intended). Add a bowl of soup for only one George. My hot and sour was all of that . . . hot and sour . . . and good with plenty of sprouts, tofu, etc.
Large selection of entrees, most of which come with an egg roll, choice of fried or white rice and tea. As is the Japanese and Chinese customary preparation, the plates contain lots of veggies with small portions of protein (beef, pork, shrimp, etc.). Fried rice was not in short supply on my plate though - plain, but good. Crispy egg roll (nice crunch and well seasoned contents) with hot mustard burned my sinus so that it now matched my second degree tongue.
My Four Season dish with pork, shrimp, beef and chicken was a nice bit of stir fry smorgasbord. The sauce needed a little pep though from some garlic or other savory spice and the chicken had a slightly odd flavor. Can't say that the fowl was foul exactly, but it was definitely not a flavor I liked. The pork was a little overdone and very sparse.
B__ch, b__ch, b_ch . . . makes it sound like I did not like the dish. Let's just say that it was good to have tried it once, but will probably choose something else next time. Oh . . . and they used zucchini which seemed a bit unusual to me as part of the vegetable stir fry melange.
Have been coming here for many years with probably a 15 year hiatus until now. I will definitely be back though, assuming the chicken doesn't get me. Service was snappy and the owner thanked us for coming. Good service, sincere politeness and appreciation (assuming good food) are always the way to get me to make a return visit.

• Visited June 2013
3 Thank OmniEpicurean
“Great Food & Service”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

The food was great!! Great soup, great waitress :)very tentative!! Not to mention the prices are very reasonable!
This place should always have 5 star ratings! Don't decide if you want to come eat here by a rating!! Go try it... It's really good , make your own opinion!!

• Visited May 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Go Where the Asians Go”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

As a reflection of my review title..yes I am Asian and have lived in San Antonio for almost 30 years. There are very few restaurants that I feel offer authentic asian cuisines in San Antonio and as far as chinese restaurants go Pearl Inn is the ONLY one in town that provides exceptional chinese cuisine. My family over the years has had numerous get togethers and special events in the restaurant because they NEVER disappoint!!! I feel that Virginia and her family work hard to run an exceptional restaurant and is reflective in their food. Thank you Pearl Inn and I hope you are around for years to come so that my young daughters can create their own special memories in the future.

• Visited April 2013