“Terrible Restaurant!”

San Antonio, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrible Restaurant!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2010

We (my wife, daughter and myself) were anxious to try a new restaurant in our Castle Hills neighborhood (in the old La Rosita location) called Rossini Italian Bistro. The bill said Ristorante Grissini so I think they may have relocated from the Medical Center area to Castle Hills. The person greeting us, a tall, thin, aloof woman with a stern demeanor seated us brusquely. The server was a woman with no skill or grace. I thought the wine list was a bit pricy with no bottle under $30.00. Bread arrived later with no butter or oil. The two pasta dishes were bland and tasteless, The sauce on the Tagliatelle seemed like a can of crushed tomotaoes swirled in olive oil. It wasn't a "sauce" really. The chicken with it was rubbery and tasteless. The scallopini was rubbery as well and the fried potatoes tasted like they had been warmed up from lunch, hard on the outside, soggy inside. It was a miserable meal. I left these criticisms written on the back of the bill. We'll never go back.

1 Thank Antonio055

Los Angeles, California
“Our Fav Dinner Location - Grissini”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2010

We love Grissini so much that we gave gift certificates to family for Christmas so they would be sure to visit!

san marcos
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Stay Away From This Place”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2009

I have been to Grissini on several occasions. Though I live outside of San Antonio, I often hold business meeting there and Grissini has been the pick many times due to its consistant food reviews and atmosphere.

However on each of my visits to this restaurant I have encountered odd and disturbing service:

-On one occasion my party and I were seated near their bar area. As we ate we were able to hear the staff and the wife of the chef (part owner), talking about various clientel. This was quite disturbing as we heard the owner telling her staff that this or that person was a "loser" and others she refered to as "female dogs", though this was not the terminology used. My whole party was offended but we remained quiet. My guests were from out of town and could not believe that they had overheard the owner of a business downtalking the very people whose money she'd be pocketing.

-Another visit was equally disturbing due to the fact that my party wanted to deviate from the menu a bit. One woman wanted a different type of sauce on her pasta, while her husband prefered a small portion of pasta instead of the potatos and spinach that would come with his dish. Our server informed us that she would ask her boss. Shortly the same woman who I'd heard badmouthing customers, came to our table and flatly informed us that they do not do substitutions. My guests resigned themselves to the menu items as were and our meal went on unscathed. That is to say until we observed a new table coming in whom the chef's wife obviously knew. Upon seating the new table, we heard the same woman telling them that they would be happy to fix them whatever they'd most like. My table listened intently to the order and were amazed that each of the customers were able to deviate from the menu entirely. Again my out of town clientel were unimpressed and our dining experience had left a bad taste in our mouths.

-On the next and last occasion that I ate at Grissini, I again had clients with me. My wife and I were entertaining and she had begged me to go to Grissini as she had not been there yet and had heard such good things from her girlfriends about the food. Reluctantly I agreed. On this particular night they seemed rather busy. Our experience started normally but quickly took a turn. Shortly after placing our order, a loud argument erupted from the kitchen area. We asked our server what was going on and he informed us that this was a regular occurence and simply an argument between man and wife. The tables around us were quieted like us by this unexpected and loud disturbance. Over and over on this particular evening we heard the loug arguing. We could only suppose that the arguments must have slowed down the kitchen as our food and that of the tables around us took atleast an hour to arrive. My wife and I made sheepish attempts to entertain our guests who were obviously agitated and disappointed. We received no formal apology for our late food, and suffered the climate of that place for two hours that night.

After our last visit I vowed never to return to that restaurant. The food was always good and we never had a bad server, but I simply refuse to hand my money over those owners. I would encourage potential clients of this business to reconsider. Though the food has received consistant high reviews, the people are unbearable and ungrateful.

-a consistantly discouraged customer of Grissini Italian Restaurant

1 Thank proudpatron
San Antonio, Texas
“Great food - improved service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2008

I have been to Ristorante Grissini on several occasions and have always had excellent food. While I have never experienced the type of service described by the first reviewer, I must say that I have felt that the service was - at times - odd, to say the least. (Refusing to bring salt to the table because the chef didn't approve; refusing to change the type of pasta in a dish because the chef didn't like to do that; refusing to bring parma cheese to the table for the salad because the chef, again, didn't approve of this) This seemed to be more prevalent when the restaurant was at the Medical Center location. Since they have moved to Alamo Heights the service has been very good and requests like those described above have been honored without a problem. Clearly this is a glitch they have taken care of. The food - including the calamari and risotto del giorno - is always of top quality and is, frankly delicious. The wine list is varied and reasonably priced With the improved service, this has become a top notch restaurant.

mammaone
“Best Italian”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2008

Grissini used to be the best Italian in the San Antonio Medical Center Area, but to the disdain of their elite and loyal following they have moved to a more central area. Unavailable for lunch, I still make the trip for dinner and still enjoy every morsel and sip. The owners are proud and true, and work extremely hard to bring quality, upscale food to San Antonio. Prices are good, but just high enough to keep out the 'riff-raff'. The food has always been consistant in quality, flavor, and technique. I've frequented this restaurant for 6+ years regularly and have gotten to know the owners and other clientelle as well as the wonderful food. The the pasta dishes are generous, salads fresh and steaks & seafood cooked to perfection. Sauces are made fresh and nothing is kept in a warmer. Don't expect an Olive Garden flavor here, nor a choice of 'sides' --it's way too good for that.