“Great food - improved service”
Review of Ristorante Grissini - CLOSED

Cuisines: Italian
Neighborhood: Northwest Side
Neighborhood: Northwest Side
Reviewed May 7, 2008

I have been to Ristorante Grissini on several occasions and have always had excellent food. While I have never experienced the type of service described by the first reviewer, I must say that I have felt that the service was - at times - odd, to say the least. (Refusing to bring salt to the table because the chef didn't approve; refusing to change the type of pasta in a dish because the chef didn't like to do that; refusing to bring parma cheese to the table for the salad because the chef, again, didn't approve of this) This seemed to be more prevalent when the restaurant was at the Medical Center location. Since they have moved to Alamo Heights the service has been very good and requests like those described above have been honored without a problem. Clearly this is a glitch they have taken care of. The food - including the calamari and risotto del giorno - is always of top quality and is, frankly delicious. The wine list is varied and reasonably priced With the improved service, this has become a top notch restaurant.

Reviewed May 6, 2008

Grissini used to be the best Italian in the San Antonio Medical Center Area, but to the disdain of their elite and loyal following they have moved to a more central area. Unavailable for lunch, I still make the trip for dinner and still enjoy every morsel and sip. The owners are proud and true, and work extremely hard to bring quality, upscale food to San Antonio. Prices are good, but just high enough to keep out the 'riff-raff'. The food has always been consistant in quality, flavor, and technique. I've frequented this restaurant for 6+ years regularly and have gotten to know the owners and other clientelle as well as the wonderful food. The the pasta dishes are generous, salads fresh and steaks & seafood cooked to perfection. Sauces are made fresh and nothing is kept in a warmer. Don't expect an Olive Garden flavor here, nor a choice of 'sides' --it's way too good for that.

Reviewed July 19, 2007

The food was bad but the service I received here was among the worst, rudest, and bizarre that I have ever experienced. When I arrived to meet my people, already sitting, the cook, who was in the dining room talking to customers, saw my car outside and told me that my car was offensive and ugly and I should buy a new one. Okay, so my jaw kind of dropped and I was both embarrassed and offended. Now, its true, my car is ugly (i mean, rust holes and everything), but I just graduated from school with huge debt and this is all I have at the moment. I was too embarrased to say anything because my party was there waiting for me. Later I called the manager and explained to her the situation and she began to probe me as if I were a criminal perpetrating a fraud, when I merely wanted to inform someone of the way I was treated-rude, assuming, classist even, etc. She informed me she thought I was lying because I couldn't remember the color of the apron the man was wearing...What the??? I then told her that I am a busy man with a life/career/etc, adding that I work at the medical center and that I would never waste my time making pointless, time-wasting accusations for no reason (by my mind, not an accusation at all, but a plea to what I thought would be the good ole American dedication to good commerce, which means treating customers with a modicum of respect, ability to afford a nice car or no). She was then convinced that I was lying and that she had me cornered when she said someone like, "If you work at the medical center then why do you drive such an ugly car?" By this point I was too exasperated to mention that the lunch special was brought out cold and flavorless and I ended the conversation. So, the moral, please, PLEASE DO NOT eat here unless being treated rudely (& stupidly rude for that matter) makes you somehow feel that your eating somewhere REALLY desired, and if you like that delivered with a side of cold and flavorless food.

Perpelexed

2  Thank bongobingo
Reviewed January 31, 2006

I found the other articles surprising for I have always had a good meal at this restaurant. I think the appetizers are tremendous esp. the calarmari and the tomato mozarella dish. The chef is one of the few in the city from Italy. He has excellent sauces esp. with the fish.

1  Thank SanAntonioMike
A TripAdvisor Member
TX
Reviewed June 6, 2005

After reading the privious reviews I found it in myself to write a quick review of my experience at Grissini's. I have recently discovered Grissini's and I ave enjoyed their food and service each and every time I have been their for lunch. In fact I have recommended Grissini's to all my co-workers and faimily. Oh, and just for fun the manager of Grissini's knows us all by name.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member